Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just graduated on Friday and was thinking about using some of my money to get some more bass in my system. I wanted to spend between 200 and 300 for the system and I know I'm not gonna get the best. I want something with pretty deep base but it doesn't have to be too loud.
Now I have: Kenwood headin unit/CD changer in the trunk, Pioneer 2-way 5.25's in the front and Pioneer 3-way 6x9's in the back. (Will prolly add Pioneer 1inch soft dome tweeters soon)

I was doing a lil research online and at some stores. Online I found a Pioneer amp with 125W x 2channels @ 4ohm RMS for about $130 and I found some Pioneer 12 inch subs for about $60 a peice. I also saw some Kenwood 12 inch for about the same price. I figure get a cheap box for about $40.

Anyways, I am very pleased with my current Pioneer products but I'm unsure about their subs and amps. Is Pioneer a bad brand for subs? Is there something comperable in price but of better quality? How is Sony for subs? I've heard mixed reviews on them. Also should i get dual voice coal subs and bridge them? What would you guys recommend for me for around that price range? I am pretty new at this and don't want to buy sh*t. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
mtx 8000's. no more to be said.

·
Registered
17 Posts
if i were u, i would just get something cheap but would also kick pretty hard.... Some cheap amps and subs are pyramid. There cheap but u get ur bang for ur buck. If ur more one the quality side diamond subs.

With the money i'd rather get the pyramids.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've heard that pyramids aren't a good brand. I heard they blow in like a month and they are way over-rated. Not sure if this is true though. I wanted something a lil nicer anyways. Like a step up from pyramids and like below premium/competion subs.

·
Registered
507 Posts
my MTX Thunder 4000s were a buy one get one free at sounddomain.com , so I paid $100 for the both of them. My 1600 W 4-channel pyramid amp was $167 at etronics.com (I actually bought 4 thunder subs, but decided that I didn't need that many. The thunders I have are nice, they are loud, and have good sound quality, and were a steal at $100. The pyramid amp has a built in fan, puts out the power of amps three times its cost, and for $10 you can get a 2 year warranty on the thing. I know pyramid isn't the best brand, but you aren't gonna get a higher output amp for that price.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If pyramids are a little to cheap for u, then u can go with the kickers. For me i got two 12 inch pyramids and they are great. And for ur question on the blinkers. read the other forum

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, I just looked at that again. The MTX deal sounds pretty sweet and I was still thinking about that Pioneer amp. You think two MTX 10's and a 2channal 200watt amp? What ohm ratting should I get? And how much could I get a cheap box for? MTX and Pioneer are decent brands that I think I can trust. Kickers are expensive and Pyramids are pretty cheap(although they look sweet). Thanks guys.

·
No So*p For Yo*!
430 Posts
personally.... i like JL and PPI. perhaps you can get a single 12W0 and a 2 channel PPI amp and bridge it. maybe you can find a JL amp too. only difference is that PPI and JL amp are different classes. so... up to you. good luck! :)

·
Registered
313 Posts
One of my friends got 2 Sony 12s and a Mobile Authority Amp for about 300 bucks. It sounds pretty nice. I would probably get MTX speakers instead though.

·
Registered
507 Posts
i bought my box for $60 at the local Tweeter. You can probably find it for cheaper online, but they are really heavy, and you should check the shipping rates to make sure they aren't way jacked up.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here are the specs on the amp I was considering($110):

Pioneer GM-X962 600 Watt 2-Channel Power Amplifier Continuous Power (14.4V): 100Wx2 (4ohm), 150Wx2 (2ohm), 300Wx1 (4ohm) Max Power (14.4V): 200Wx2 (4ohm), 600Wx1 (4ohm) Frequency Response: 10Hz - 50kHz (0,-1dB) Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.008% (1kHz, 4ohm) Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 100dB (IHF-A) Dimensions: 11" x 2-5/16" x 12-3/4" Product Features: PWM MOSFET Power Supply Bridgeable 1/2/3 Channel Capability Balanced Isolator Input Circuit Gold-Plated Screw-Type Power/Ground Terminals Gold-Plated Screw-Type Speaker Terminals Gold-Plated RCA Inputs Hi-Volt Input Level Control (400mV-6.5V) Molex Type Speaker Level Inputs Selectable LPF: 80Hz (-12dB/oct.)

Here are the specs on the subs($90 for two):

MTX Audio Thunder4000 T4104A

Features

Asymmetrical Linear Drive Technology
Folded-Window Steel Frame
27 oz. Strontium-Ferrite Magnet
1-1/2" Voice Coil with Apical Former
Injection-Molded Polystyrene Gasket
Radius Vented Pole Piece

Subwoofer Specifications

Size: 10 inch
Rec. Sealed Box Dims: 0.75 cu.ft.
Rec. Ported Box Dims: 1.50 cu.ft.
Free Air Usage: not recommended
Sensitivity: 87.7 dB
Frequency Response: 39-150 Hz
Recommended RMS Power: 200W
Peak Power Handling: 400W
Impedance: 4 ohms
Shipping Weight: 14 lbs
Warranty: 1 year

Now, would these two products work well together? Does the class of them amp matter for subs? Other suggestions? I've looked at other amps but they are usually more expensive for products that are comparable. I figure as long as the stats match up I figured the Pioneer would be good. Is this untrue. Thnks for al the input guys.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.