Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, i posted a thread like over a week ago, well i finally got pics up, my legend was parked and it got hit. Take a look at those pics, its pretty bad the body shop will have to weld a new back quarter panel on, and do some other work, do u guys think my car will still be safe? Should i keep it? or get a new one? youre input is greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

MORE PICS OF THE HIT LEGEND

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
OOOOHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOT [email protected]!!!!!!!!!IT HURTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!OUCH!!!!I CAN'T..........LOO..........K...ANY....MMM.M..M.MMORE!!

Talk about an act of hatred. FUC K. i AM SORRY man. That really sucks. I would total that without a doubt. It hurts but you will be much happier in the end. Well, what is your insurance coverage like? that is the first factor, you might have to get that fixed instead. That is some rough damage though, i mean, stuff on the inside is pushed in from the trunk. my 2 cents have been thrown up in the air now, as they are spinning upwards towards the sky, i say, "but, if you want it to be fixed make sure you stress its value and make several calls to your ins. co. to let them know. considering that damage it should be totaled."
chachinggggggg!!!!!!!!(pennies come to a halt on the ground.)

·
*r**h *eller
1,920 Posts
You got a heck of a lot more damage than a quarter panel. That sucker is going to have to go on a frame machine to have the chassis checked out. If you've upset the suspension mounts or got into the structure around the gas tank I'd bet insurance will total it.

That kind of damage CAN be repaired and result in a safe car. But shops that can/would do it right may be hard to find. And the work will be expensive.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
THAT SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!! It was hit VERY VERY hard to cause a damage like that!

make sure there is no damage to the frame and chasis. Like Dave said, it will be quite an expensive fix!

If your insurance is paying for it, I'd take it to the Acura dealership and get it repaired there.

Good luck!! (It hurts to see a Legend hit like that!!!) :(

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How can the result be a safer car? isnt the factory piece that was orginally welded on better?

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Nile Legend said:
How can the result be a safer car? isnt the factory piece that was orginally welded on better?
I dont think Dave said safeR, he said "safe" as in

"if they do a good job, you wont have a lemon on your hands"..

But it's hard to say if they'll do a good job. It's a big variable.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Your going to require much more than a replacement bumper assy, taillamp, antenna, and outer quarter panel. Look for collateral damage; i.e. did the trunk lid shift to the RT and chip paint on the RT quarter? If so, it needs to be added. The backglass will need to be removed and reset, both due to repair as well as the crushed quarter probably breaking the seal. The inner quarter structure will probably have to be changed as well as work on the trunk floor and its reinforcement. Is the package shelf buckled? The suspension needs to be checked; a damper could now be bent. A 4whl alignment will be a must and should be added to the repair. The damage looks worse than it is, but the labor costs (repair and paint) may total the vehicle.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Nile Legend said:
I was taught that a repair to factory specs means that you count the OEM spot-welds and you make the same number in approx the same location as you perform the repair. So the repair is close to being as strong as the original.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I really hate to say this man, but I'm sure you probably know that you car is totaled without a doubt. I'm sorry did you mention what year your car is? If so I didn't catch it but it looks like you have a 93 LS which is a 6-8k car with depending on miles, the damage that your car have will exceed that, and we're not even talking about the possible frame damage. You definitly have a decision to make, I feel your pain...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually its a 92 LS With 57000 miles on it, its worth more then 8k, legends are usualy more expensive in seattle. The insurance company called me and said that they want to fix it, and just to take it to any shop that i want to, the shop recommended to me by Acura quoted me $7200 in damage and probably even more when they take everything apart. I like my legend but i feel that the damage is too much for it to be 100% safe again, plus when i go to sell it im sure that the it will depreciate a lot more because of the hit. I want to to fight the insurance company for a total loss, what do you guys think? thanks.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Wow that sucks man. I got hit a few weeks ago and my insurance came and looked today. The fuy said it looks pretty bad, he told me that I have a crack up my wheel well, also that I need a new bumper,and that I need the suspension and all that checked too. I aske him did he think it could be fixed.He said "I don't know if its worth it, it is a 1990" so I'm waiting to see what happens:(

Good luck man I feel your pain.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Oh see thats the price that they are going for here in cali, the adjuster would take one look at your car here and say its totaled they wouldn't even waste there time. Now this is just me, after a hit like that I wouldn't want the car at all, nor would I want to buy a car that had that sort of damage.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Nile Legend: Your biggest hurdle was the insurance company which will repair. Now you have to locate a competent repair facility. Ask your local Acura dealer who they use. Quarter damage always appears to be worse than it actually is. I would much rather repair a rear than a front end hit. A competent repair facility will bring the vehicle back to like new condition. My guess is that they will seek a used quarter which could include up to half of the trunk and then disassemble the used quarter and use its parts to replace those of yours which are damaged. The quarter to be sectioned. Same procedure would hold true for a damaged damper or even LT rear suspension. Not a major problem, just a lot of labor. The operative word here is to locate a competent facility. And make sure a 4 whl alignment is to be performed prior to your accepting the vehicle. You don't want a vehicle looking good but travels down the road sideways.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys, but i have another question, anyone know how much the car would depreciate??

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
It will not depreciate the car at all, I mean why tell anyone? However, it looks like a total loss. I am moving to Seattle tomorrow, and you can buy my car from me (j/k, I would never sell it!).

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Unless the repair was performed not to industry standards, most potential buyers will not be able to determine whether the vehicle was hit. It is up to you as the seller to decide. The value of the repaired vehicle will be as before.

One added suggestion. You might consider having the body shop repaint the whole car (you paying the difference) if they are going to have to paint/blend into several panels and the remaining panels have the normal scratches/dings, etc. Doing this would assist you in selling the vehicle.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts