Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just recently bought a 97 RL without a CD changer (non-premium model). I was browsing through the posts and it seems like most of you guys have a lot of exerience in doing modifications to your vehicles, so I hope you can help me out.

I am looking to install a trunk CD changer, which ones will work? I'm just looking for a simple installation to play regular CD's and CDR's (MP3 not a must); with the minimum amount of attachments if possible. I have checked the web and saw that the Alpine CHM620 or 630 will work with the use of a special adapter. I've checked the trunk of my car and I couldn't figure out where to locate the connector for the CD changer. Can anybody tell me or show pics where to find this? Or is this an additional installation if the car was not hooked up to a CD changer before?

Thanks in advance for your replies. :bowdown:

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Hmm, if it's anything like the legends, do you have a pockett on the left side of your trunk? If so then under that pockett would be the cable. --=Keith

·
Registered
992 Posts
the stock honda radio should have the plugs in the back of the radio. you would just need the cable to run from the radio to the cd changer.

this is assuming you are installing a honda/acura cd changer.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Then where does the optional Acura Changer go when you purchase it? It has to go somewhere right? Doesn't make sense not to have the cd changer cable... Weird... --=Keith

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Hmm, you sure there arn't any pocketts? Like:

Look on the very left, isn't that a cd changer i see? It looks just like how the legend is set up... --=Keith

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just now checked that pocket on the left side of the trunk compartment. There is a small pocket there, and I removed the lining/carpet from it and saw a bunch of cables which I checked to see where they connect to. It seems like all of them connect to something (tail lamps, lights for the tag, brake light) except for the connector for a trailer hitch which actually had a label on it. :confused:

You may be right, the non-premium RL's may not be wired for the changer. has anybody else encountered this issue?

By the way, I called the local Acura dealership to check and see if they have any OEM CD changers, and the parts manager/salesperson was trying to sell me a Clarion 6-CD changer for $700, not including the installation!! (And this was afetr he told me that the unit lists for $1000 and that he is trying to give me a good deal!) I'm glad that I found this forum and see that there are a lot of people who make sense out there and help each other out to make sure that we get the best value.

Anyway, I guess if my RL is not pre-wired I may have to have professional installation done (it may be out of my skill level), or go with an RF modulated changer, what are the pros and cons? :confused:

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
It should be int he trunk.... All the legens were prewired for cd changers so i would imagin that premium or non premium should have it. Look again under there and look for a blue cable that's has it's tip wrapped up in grey foam. It should be there under that pocket... --=Keith

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
Keep in mind I too don't own an RL so I really am just guessing. I thought the RL mounted the changer under the rear deck lid? Anyway, it should be prewired because it is a major PITA to wire the CD changer cable and I'm not even sure the Acura changers come with a cable because of this. I'm sorry I can't say were it is, but I'm sure it is there somewhere.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've checked again in the trunk, even peeling of the liner/carpet and couldn't find anything that looks like it's capped except for the blue connector that is tagged for a trailer hitch.

Thanks anyway guys.

Now how does an FM modulator work? Do I still have to look for that connector?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've just checked under the center arm rest console (finally figured out how it comes off), I don't see anything that would be recognized as the CD changer wiring.

How do I get to the back of the headunit to plug the wiring and what kind of wiring would I need? I'm just planning on running it the the center arm rest console and install the changer in the console bin.

Thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.