Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I just got done building and installing my custom setup and I'm not sure I'm getting the most out of my subs. Right now I have two ten's mounted between the 6x9's on my back deck. The boxes hang down into the trunk. I have them lined with fiberglass insulation at about 50%.
Now, I was considering venting the boxes to get more bass. The easiest way for me to vent would be to drill wholes and vent backwards toward the back of the car. The boxes are 1.06ft squared each and the specs for the area of a vented box is 0.88ft squared. Is there some way I could fill in the box a lil bit to account for this? Would it make a big difference to vent them instead of having them enclosed? Would it make the bass a lot sloppier?
Also, is fiberglass ok to use in a box? I didn't want to spend money on poly-fill. I'm really new at all of this audio stuff and any advice would be very appriciated.

·
Premium Member
9,167 Posts
Poly-fill and insulation will not work the same, what you should do it remove the insulation and try to use the subs without it. Polyfill is only used in small box applications or with a sub that needs more airspace than you can allow. Polyfill makes the sub think it's in a bigger box, but it doesn't do much. The insulation is pretty much just cutting down on your box space. Remove the insulation and post again with your results.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks... I had no idea. I will try removing the fiberglass- only thought that ppl didn't use it bc it got in your fingers. One more question... do I need to line the box with poly-fill or just fill it up 50% with it? Thanks.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, just got done modifying the boxes. Just to experiment I lined one with poly-fill about 40%. On the other I just left it with nothing on the inside. The sound is a lil bit lower and deeper but not as loud as before. I'm not sure if this is an illusion or not. I can't tell a significant difference between the one with poly-fill and the empty box. Anyways, the difference is small and suddle.

I am still considering porting them. What kind of result would I expect if I ported the subs? Is there any way I could fill the box or something to get the correct area for a vented box? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,167 Posts
I personally like vented enclosures when you're using the right sub. First, before you modify the box by venting it, go ahead and port the box, and make sure you use the plastic tubing for the ports, because porting is useless without them.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Should I have the port fire back towards the trunk or towards the cabin? How will a port effect the sound? Louder but sloppier? Is there any way I can fill the box in to get the correct box dimension?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts