Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get some info.... Im looking at buying a 1991 Acura Legend L 5 speed with 88,000 miles....The car is near perfect, original owner with a complete history of all the service records, all service was performed by the local Acura dealer including oil changes.

The only problem I found was the following:

1. The car vibrates between 1500-2000 rpm but after 2000 rpm the vibration goes
away.

2. The car also vibrates while driving during the same RPM range 1500-2000

3. I know that it isn't transmission related since the vibration happens when the gear box is
not engaged.

4. I know it couldn't be wheel or drive shaft related since the vibration happens while standing
still on the drive way in the 1500-2000 rpm range

I have done a few searches about this and there seems to be a lot of info but Im not sure if it applies to me since many of the cars are automatic..and this car is a 5 speed.

I did notice that the motor mounts located in the front of the engine appear to have grease coming out of them, it appears they are damaged (wear and tear). So I naturally figured the vibration would be coming from the motor mounts. But I have read that some people have said that flywheel could cause this problem also, but im thinking the way this guy babied this car and the way he drove it that he didn't abuse the clutch or flywheel....

Again Im not to familiar with this car and I would like to know if what I described is a common problem on this particular vehicle, and also is there any thing else I should look for before purchasing....Any Info would be greatly appreciated....Thanks....Jay.S

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You mean all Acura Legends have this vibration?.....It seems unusual, the vibration seems very obvious and its very annoying...

I have read in a few other posts that its normal but Im very suprised being a Acura/Honda product to do this.... :(

· 805 YO
459 Posts
It's probably the motor mounts, I remember that my dad's sedan almost always had 3 broken ones at any given time. So that's where I would look, and they're no big deal anyways.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
arnach said:
The vibration you describe is a manufacturing defect. Rev the engine in park/neutral and it will vibrate through that range.
Do broken motor mounds make that vibration worse?....I have heard that its a manufacture defect but how bad is that vibration actually......I cant believe that anyone would would buy this car new and have such a harsh vibration...My father leased a 91 Acura Legend and I dont recall such a vibration.....How bad is the vibration from the manufactures defect?...

· Registered
185 Posts
Topsupra said:
Do broken motor mounds make that vibration worse?....I have heard that its a manufacture defect but how bad is that vibration actually......I cant believe that anyone would would buy this car new and have such a harsh vibration...My father leased a 91 Acura Legend and I dont recall such a vibration.....How bad is the vibration from the manufactures defect?...
Yes, broken engine/transmission mounts will make it worse. It is not as pronounced in Automatics, but it is there. This sounds like a very bad vibration, its usually barely noticable. I would have the mounts checked.

· Victory is fleeting...
5,575 Posts
Coupe or Sedan? What does KBB and Edmunds say it is worth? (Unfortunately for owners, these cars are garnering less than KBB or Edmunds, but that's good for buyers).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.