Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I just got this car, '90 LS Coupe, about 4 days ago, I'm running my nice 25$ cd player bought at target with a sweet tape player adapter. It kinda sucks.

So I looked into getting a new head unit and basically everywhere I went I was running into trouble. The places I went to were trying to rip me off (650$ new speakers and really cheap head unit - Best Buy and 590$ at circuit city)

I have resolved to learn the language and the art of car audio and install the speakers and the head unit myself. Can anyone help me out w/ some books or advice or some specs of the '90 LS Coupe?
Or where I should get started? I can't even take the speaker covers on the door speakers.
I think the speaker size is 5" in the front door and 8" in the rear deck.
Can Anyone verify that?

What would I need to put a new head unit in and replace the speakers?
I've been looking around and trying to find the best speaker brands and I think i'm gonna get an Alpine or Blaupunkt head unit, probably on e-bay.

Any advice is welcome. Thanks a lot

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm in good old Tucson AZ...I've been talking w/ the guys that are installing my car alarm, and it seems that they are willing to give me a decent deal on it. The guy at the shop said he could add a ohm converter or something like that for $40 and it would work w/ sound system.

have any of you guys heard about this?

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Hey man, I am in Mesa. It sounds like you need some help. First off, you need a durable CD player. Such as a Pioneer DEHP-4400. It is a nice unit that is XM capable (satellite radio). It has high power (Pioneers really deliver on this) and can control a CD changer. The changer is also $199. Then, buy two pairs of Pioneer TS-G1647 6.5's, these should fit both front and back. They are $49 a pair. I might be wrong on the size, maybe someone can correct me on this, but the prices will stay about the same. OK, now you are at $297 w/o a changer, and $496 with a changer. You need a kit and harness adapter, so figure another $25 bucks. Now pay a friend that can do this work about $50 and feed him some beer and you are in for about $372. Hope this helps, I really stand behind Pioneer, it is the best value for durability, sound quality and features. For the money, you won't go wrong. The speakers for the front are 5.25 and 6.5 will fit, and I believe the backs are 6.5.....again I might be off????????

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
God only if it was that easy. See the problem is that each speaker on my system has a little amp hooked up to it...meaning I don't really have an amp to run my speakers off it i get new ones... i've heard of people using the amps that are hooked up to the original bose speakers but i don't really have any idea how that would work. I like the price though. My "friends" at Best Buy are trying to con me into buying this converter for 45$ and 15$ to install so i can buy one of their decks for 200$ then buy one of their kits for another 50$ plus tax, leaving me with my old speakers and about the same price you stated for basically a completely new system.

The problem i'm having is that no one i know works on car audio. We're all computer dorks. This is a calling anyone out there in AZ, who might wanna hook me up, ill pay you =) and give you beer =P. lol, thanks for the ideas though.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I am in Mesa, Az.....I will help you if you want to drive up here. Don't worry about the amps, we'll bypass them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dude, that would be really cool, it's not that far of a drive to mesa from here, you sure you would be willing to help me out. I've been looking at a lot of pioneer stuff and I think I'll get what i want on ebay.

drop me an e-mail plz

[email protected]

·
Registered
102 Posts
speakers

density90CoupeLS,
I have the same car (well, same model anyway: Bose cassette, one amp at each speaker). When I looked at my speakers, the rears are 6x9 and the fronts are 4" but housed inside a black plastic enclosure. I have heard others say 6.5 all around, ... but not mine. Maybe Acura had different stereos.
See for yourself before you buy anything. You can look at the rears by gently prying off only the mesh part of the cover from the front (right behind the headrest), the back will pop out.
For the fronts, you need to take most of the door panel off. Let me know if you need info for doing that.

I don't know what size aftermarket speakers will fit in the door panel. I haven't had a chance to take out the enclosure. But when I get some money I will replace the system --- amps are toast.

I heard some Boston Acoustics and they sound good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Speaker Size

Hmm... I've heard that they are 5" in front and 8" in back... and i've talked to a few people who put 6.5"s in the front and 6x9's in the back but having to cut a little. I just purchased a pair 6.5's and 6x9"s i'm pretty sure they will work out, but ill probably have to do some cutting in the back. the 6.5's should fit in pretty well from what i hear.

well i hope this helps you some, takemorepills is gonna help me install it, i'm thinking i will replace the amps, but just a little later down the road, i only have about 400$ right now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts