Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Cassis Red Pearl
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started the Tilt Moonroof DIY after reading the entire DIY through a couple times the last week, and reading much of the follow up commentary and praise, I decided to do this this afternoon.

I've stopped at Step 6. Upon opening the moonroof (with glass removed, I heard some bad noise and decided to push it forward (closed) just a little. The moonroof seems to be off track, in its farthest back position on the passenger side (driver side seems to be moving okay.

Anyone who has done this mod and ran into this, or any advice would be much appreciated, and is desperately needed!

·
Cassis Red Pearl
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay, well I got it to close, now it does not want to open again? What the eff is wrong with my moonroof hardware?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Damn man sorry to hear about your troubles that is the next mod on my list tell me what ya find out if ya dont mind. Good Luck

·
Cassis Red Pearl
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AAGH! HELP!

well, i got the glass brackets forward again, but the passenger side won't make it to the fully closed position, it stops about an inch short. Now neither bracket wants to budge at all. Put the glass back in and bolted it back down on the driver side, but passenger side won't line up since that bracket isn't cooperating. Gotta go to work soon and I'm just praying for clear weather. Don't know what to do, please help!

·
Banned
3,690 Posts
What kind of noise did you hear when you were opening the moonroof with the glass removed?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Damn dude, sorry to hear about that issue. I did the mod about 10 days ago without an issue. I have thought about it and can not come up with a reason why you had this problem. However, I know our owner's manuals and this website make reference as to what to do if your sunroof is stuck open. You can manually crank it shut with a tool. It is on page 209 of my owner's manual and here is a thread that discusses it. http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulletin/f4/moonroof-stuck-120098/. I am not positive this will help your issue, but maybe...

Also, if you decide to keep going with the mod, I mentioned a few helpful hints for steps 7,8,9 in this thread. http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulletin/f4/additional-benefit-sunroof-tilt-mod-120167/

Good luck.

·
Cassis Red Pearl
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stuck Sound

I don't know how to describe the sound other then to say I knew right away that it had gotten stuck back there. That was why I immediately tried to close it again. Now the to glass brackets aren't moving on the slider rails correctly. The driver side is fully closed but passenger side is 1/2" short of the stop. Now neither will budge, other than the driver side tilting up and down slightly since the stuck passenger side seems to be preventing the both from moving.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
No idea, but did you try to manually close it? Maybe it will close the passenger side???

here is a pic of the directions in the Owners Manual.

·
Banned
3,690 Posts
Maybe if you get it fully closed so that it's not crooked it will work again.?? I hope...

·
Registered
707 Posts
Could it be possible that you dropped something in there and it was wedged in the track? Maybe bent something? If you can't get it to manually close or fix, then you might have to remove the whole system to inspect/repair. To do this you must remove all the sunvisors; front and rear light assm; the front, mid, and rear pillar covers; well everything associated with the headliner, and of course the headliner itself. The headliner could be a bit of a pain to get out. If you can't get it out then you might have to remove the passenger seat to give you more space. Then remove the sunroof assm. Good luck

·
Cassis Red Pearl
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Problem Solved: DIY Failed....

It's funny: I always wondered what that one tool in the kit was for. Haha!

Anyway, this morning with a little more time on my hands and my buddy helping me eye it out, I fixed it and everything is working fine. Took the rear drain channel off, which without the glass on is the only thing connecting the two glass brackets. Doing that freed them up somehow, but they still weren't even. It took some finesse, holding one still while operating the motor to line them up. Once we thought we had 'em good and lined up we sent them to the full closed position, put the glass back in, made sure everything sealed up and called it fixed.
The problem basically was that without the glass connecting them the 2 glass brackets are able to move independently of each other (to an extent) and the passenger side on mine doesn't seem to move as smoothly as the driver side. Thats how it wound up getting stuck and uneven and giving me grief. Gonna try the DIY tomorrow with the glass in, I saw somewhere on here that a few have done that.
Any tips on that?

·
Cassis Red Pearl
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Completed Mod

Got this mod. done today lickity split with the glass left in. A little bit of effort was needed to lift the slider rail and all I could get in there with was a pair of needle nosers. So super-duper easy and so super-duper cool. Totally worth all the grief it gave me, thinking I broke my damn sunroof for a good 24 hours.

·
Banned
3,690 Posts
That's good to hear that you fixed it! And if I decide to do this, I won't take my glass out, lol!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.