Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question. I have a head unit and I am built a connector for it to put into my Legend G2. The problem I am having is that when I turn my lights on, the headunit's light goes out. I am trying to figure out which/what wire to tap in my dash or off of the cigarette lighter (whichever is closer) to get the headunit to work with my dimmer switch. I am using the lights on connection already from the original harness to the headunit harness, but I do have a free connection in the headunit harness that is called out as "dimmer". Can I just tap the lights on connection to this wire also to keep the headunit illumination on when I turn the lights on? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am tired of having to turn on my dome light to change CD's or radio station, volume, etc.

Thanks

Ghost

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Your suppose to connect the dimmer wire of the HU to the illumination wire that goes into the stock HU. With that connect, when you turn on your headlights, the display on your HU dims.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick respone White Legend.

I thought the same thing, but I found that there is no "illumination" wire in our factory wire harness. This is why this is so puzzling to me. Any other suggestions.......

Thanks

Ghost

Attachments

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
It's the lights on signal A3 in the picture, red/blk wire. That's the wire I used for dimmer for my clarion. It should work.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay,
But the head unit connector that I'm building already has a separate lights/on connection for the new head unit. So do I connect both the "illumination" and the "lights on" wires to the "lights on" connection in our factory harness?

Sorry for the confusion WhiteLegend, but I truly appreciate your help.

Ghost

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Ghost said:
Okay,
But the head unit connector that I'm building already has a separate lights/on connection for the new head unit. So do I connect both the "illumination" and the "lights on" wires to the "lights on" connection in our factory harness?

Sorry for the confusion WhiteLegend, but I truly appreciate your help.

Ghost
Ok, now I'm confused...Are you saying that there are 2 wires on for the harness on your new HU 1. lights on and 2. illumination.
Is that correct?
What kind of Headunit is it? Maybe the illumination wire needs to be connected to the 12V source wire so it'll light up as soon as you turn the radio on, then dims when you turn on the headlight.

I'm not positive, do you have the original manual that came with the unit? What does it say to do with that wire?

Sorry I'm not much help.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep,
There are 2 wires. One is for illumination, and the other is for lights on. It's an Acura head unit from an 01 CL, but I don't have a manual for it. I am looking for a pin-out sheet that one of the guys on the CL forum emailed me so you can see what kind of hook-up it has to it. I might try the 12V source, but I was afraid of frying something in the deck.

Ghost

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Ghost said:
Yep,
There are 2 wires. One is for illumination, and the other is for lights on. It's an Acura head unit from an 01 CL, but I don't have a manual for it. I am looking for a pin-out sheet that one of the guys on the CL forum emailed me so you can see what kind of hook-up it has to it. I might try the 12V source, but I was afraid of frying something in the deck.

Ghost
How about leaving the illumination unhooked for now. Plug it in and see if it lights up. Does the 01 CL deck fit the Legend Double din opening?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WhiteLegend said:

How about leaving the illumination unhooked for now. Plug it in and see if it lights up. Does the 01 CL deck fit the Legend Double din opening?
The illumination is unhooked right now. It lights up just fine....until I turn the lights on. hahaha

Yes and no on the fitment. The deck itself fits just fine....the faceplate however is kindda trianglular shaped, so it doesn't fit into our console at all. I am having a custom console made to fit it. I will post pics when it is complete.

Ghost

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Ghost said:

The illumination is unhooked right now. It lights up just fine....until I turn the lights on. hahaha

Yes and no on the fitment. The deck itself fits just fine....the faceplate however is kindda trianglular shaped, so it doesn't fit into our console at all. I am having a custom console made to fit it. I will post pics when it is complete.

Ghost
If the lighing goes off when the you turn on the lights, that means the HU switches source for the illumination when the lights are on. Try hooking the lights on from the car to the illumination to the deck. Leave the lights on from the deck unhooked. See how that goes.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
WhiteLegend said:

If the lighing goes off when the you turn on the lights, that means the HU switches source for the illumination when the lights are on. Try hooking the lights on from the car to the illumination to the deck. Leave the lights on from the deck unhooked. See how that goes.
Ahhhhhhhh :) ,

That makes sense. I'll try that tonight and see if that works. I'll let you know something tomorrow.

Ghost

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.