Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a set of MB Quart PSC 216 seperates. They are bi-amped with a Fosgate 600.4....giving 100 watts to each of the 4 speakers (two tweets, two mids).

I listed to a WIDE variety of music so I am afraid I won't be able to solve my problem....but I thought I'd ask anyway.

When I have something in the CD player with a nomial amount of bass, then everything is terrific. I can turn the volume all the way up (35) on my head unit, and it is crystal clearn and beautiful sounding.

The problem is when I put something with lots of bass in. Specifically, Nelly. I can only get the head unit up to about 30 on the volume meter before I get clipping in my mid range speaker in the door.

Any ideas how I can fix this, without loosing any sound quality at high volumes to my "non bassy" music?

-FurBall

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
i'm not sure what u'r asking but i think i have the same problem. it seems like the the tweets are pushing bass frequencies?
i've asked this question before and someone had suggested moving the jumper to -6db and check the crossover level. i put mine to -6db and set the high pass filter to about 200hz. that seemed to have help a bit but i sometimes get the stacky sound from the tweets at high volumes.
i was just thinkin that it's the speaker system cause i heard the Q series comps and they sound hella better than our reference systems. for, it's tollerable but i wish i had the money to get the Q series.

-j

·
I'van der Rohe
12,803 Posts
i think the guy who had this car B4 me put in Infinity running from the stock amp and they sound great but prob is they have to much tweet for me . if i turn the treble up to normal (middle) setting i can get run out of the car on certain songs ( i have it at the lowest posible setting with the base all the way up and it sounds quite good i say. wonderful really. i just need some 12s with a 500watt amp so i can turn the treble back up and not hurt my self. stilll looking. who makes the W7 sub woofer. i think it looks really cool i wonder how it performs.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Aiznpride--

What you are describing sound to be a function of an incorrect install of the crossovers.

If sounds like you have your tweeter wiring hooked up to the low level outputs on the crossovers. Have you checked that?

That isn't my problem at all. I am having a problem with too much low end signal being pushed through the mid in the door on some songs.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
FurBall said:
Hey Aiznpride--

What you are describing sound to be a function of an incorrect install of the crossovers.

If sounds like you have your tweeter wiring hooked up to the low level outputs on the crossovers. Have you checked that?

That isn't my problem at all. I am having a problem with too much low end signal being pushed through the mid in the door on some songs.
that's what i thought at first but the connections are correct. it's wierd. kinda sounds like i blew my tweeter. can you take a pick of u'r crossover with the connections?

as for the mid pushing too much bass. since you have it bi-amped, maybe you can adjust the filter to push 150hz and more to the mid woofer?
-j

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wish I could, but I lent my digital camera to my dad, who is in Europe right now :(

I though about adjusting the filter as you suggested, but then I realized that it wouldn' t make any difference because the crossover only lets certain frequencies through anyway. I don't want to exclude too much from it, because then I won't get the warm sound out of them that I like.

I am thinking of taking it to a shop and paying them to tune it.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
the thing about the corssovers with the refrence components is that you would think that the crossovers would block out the unwanted frequencies but IMO i don't think it does fully work like that. also, the mids should push out mid frequencies in the range of 125hz to 11k hertz so i don't think it'll make a difference if you set the filter to 150hz and up. why dont you try it first to see. it's worth a shot before you pay good money for them to try that. =)
-j

·
Registered
851 Posts
OK, I can take a look, no problem man.

Trade?????, plus your rims I would! hauhauhuhuaha!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

aiznpride said:
i think so but i hope not. maybe you can take a look when i stop by. or maybe trade me u'r q series. :D
hehe

-j

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.