Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 94 legend gs 4 door sedan. A year ago, I put the Koni adjustable shocks on the car all the way around. They are adjusted all the way and they are set for stock height. I put brand new Yokahama Avid 4's on all four corners. The two tires on the passenger side look like brand new still while the driver side front is really cupped on the inside and the rear driver side is almost as bad. The ball joints and upper control arms are all good with no play in them as well as wheel bearings. The inner and outer tie rod ends were replaced and a 4 wheel alignment done. This was all done about a year ago. Anyone else have weired tire ware and any suggestions as to what might be causing this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. ITS REALLY STARTING TO ENOY ME AND DRIVE ME CRAZY. I don't want to replace the 2 tires until I find out the cause and correct it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Wow, that sounds like a tough one. Have you tried checking the tire pressure? Over inflated tires can get some pretty funky wear. I'm not really sure what else it could be. Hope you figure it out soon, tires are expensive these days. I have some camber problems myself. Anyway, good luck.

-GR

·
Registered
57 Posts
I ALSO HAD THE SAME PROBLEM!!!!! I installed the koni/eibach combo and put the eibach on the lowest perch with the konis set to medium soft in the front and medium in the back. I did not install a camber correction kit however :p (thats probably the problem) I had new tires put on back in may of last year and they practically wore out within 4 months and they were direct replacements of the stock brand of tire as well! My front Struts have blown twice to boot :p
expensive expensive car...

one thing you should remember when putting pressure in your tires is that it is best to check tire pressures and fill them with air only if you have driven a distance of less than 2 miles. The hot air in the tires expands and gives you an in accurate reading.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Please, always post mileage. Suggest that you locate and use another alignment shop. For both front and rear on same side to be wearing, the vehicle is essentially going down the highway sideways. I would start with another 4-wheel alignment which should ID any worn parts. If no worn parts are found, then the problem has to be an error in the install of the Koni's.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is what i figured, so I am takeing it in to try and get an alignment on it today. All the other suspension components looked good and the struts were not leaking so they should not be the problem. Tire pressure was around 32psi on all 4. When I checked them last week, they were not bad and this week they were. After rotateing and balancing the tire yesterday, I took it for a ride and it really pulled to the right. So I am thinking alignment and camber is off. Will post reply of what they find.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
1bgtoy said:
That is what i figured, so I am takeing it in to try and get an alignment on it today. All the other suspension components looked good and the struts were not leaking so they should not be the problem. Tire pressure was around 32psi on all 4. When I checked them last week, they were not bad and this week they were. After rotateing and balancing the tire yesterday, I took it for a ride and it really pulled to the right. So I am thinking alignment and camber is off. Will post reply of what they find.
I have yet to have a 4-Wheel Alignment performed on my Legend, but I'd assume that all suspension components in regards to alignment are adjustable such as toe, camber, etc. If it's not, then that's one cause. Non-adjustable components suck.

Another issue, though not on a Legend, I found on another car is that top of the strut was wearing. The rubber piece that mounts between the top of the strut/spring combo and the car wore, but then it also made a noise, so maybe that's not it. But, on that same car, because of that problem, the metal began to weaken in that area and deform underneath. His car too was sagging on the left side.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got the alignment today, and really was not out all that much. The front camber was like -.06 and the rear was like -1.1. They told me that the wear stems from not rotateing and balancing regularly. I am not sure that is what it is so I am going to take it to the acura dealership. There has to be something that is worn or bent that is causing such terrible wear on the driver side front and back.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Same Tires

I have Yokohama Avid H4's on my legend too. Man, i would never recommend these tires. They have 2 lines of tread on each tire plus a criss-cross pattern. The 2 lines have a lot of tread but the criss-cross area is much less. I think the tires were just made like that. I had trouble making it up a steep hill when it snowed here. Plus, they slip during moderate acceleration in rain or wet conditions. They came on the car so I never actually bought them.
Anyways, hope you find a solution.

Sim Garcha
1991 Acura Legend LS

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I took the car to acura for them to check out the front end. Everything came back fine with no problems found. They told me that certain tires do not wear well on our cars. They suggested going back to the michelin tires it came with. They say that those tires are designed for the car. They also suggested doing a criss cross on rotation if the tires aren't directional which the Yokahamas are. So for all you legend owners with loud tires and have the Yokahama Avid 4, its probably do to unusual tire wear. They tend to cup really bad on the inside with the next set of tread haveing every other two wore down. So you will have a set of two wore down two up and so fourth. Its like haveing studded tires.

·
Registered
702 Posts
hell, i got crazy tire wear when i had my 17's low profile on...my front tires had wires coming out of the sides and were completely through when i took them off...and they had lasted only a few thousand miles.....heh, but that could be due to the fact that when i had them on i was doing some real CRAZY burnouts!!!! :D

·
Registered
722 Posts
I just asked my friend here he works part time at a tire shop. He said 1) How often do you have passengers?? Second, is the person a big guy?? These things he says actually make a difference in tire wear. Kind of like a motorcycle if you constantly have a passenger you need more tire pressure in the rear. Same for cars I guess is what he is saying.. And also a good alignment wouldn't hurt. Hope this helps, J

1 - 11 of 11 Posts