Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, 1st question wiper fuse keeps blowing, as soon as I put in the new one and turn on power it pops. what could I do to fix this?

Ok, 2nd question, replaced alternator in june, well car wouldn't yesterday so replaced battery. now battery wont charge. car runs after gets started and will run for awhile which made me think was battery not alternator, but after driving for while and shut off car will not start again without jump. I heard the connector on the 89 acura legend ls faulty on this model. Is this correct? should i buy a new alternator, rebuild, replace the diodes or just replace connector. any help would be great . Thank You

· Registered
821 Posts
Welcome to the forums lethalshamrock!
If the fuse is popping that much you might have a short. I'd try a fuse with a slightly higher rating.
Basics for charging problem:
Check the ground for the alternator..it is quite important, then measure what if any voltage its putting out..it should be at least 13v or so. Make sure the battery contact is good (new terminal clamps are cheap) the neg- is usually the issue.
If the car is actually stopping while running i suspect the alternator is not actually supplying the power needed for the car to run and the battery even if brand new can only take so much of that.

BP

· Registered
2,973 Posts
You might have a bad wiper control module. It's located under the dash right under the steering wheel. NEVER put a fuse rated higher than required in the fuse box.

You say you replaced the alternator in June...with a rebuilt one or one you found in a junkyard. It sounds like the latter since you talk about rebuilding THAT one also ?? A quality rebuilt alternator shouldn't fail like that.

· Registered
4,259 Posts
Lethalshamrock said:
Ok, 1st question wiper fuse keeps blowing, as soon as I put in the new one and turn on power it pops. what could I do to fix this?

Ok, 2nd question, replaced alternator in june, well car wouldn't yesterday so replaced battery. now battery wont charge. car runs after gets started and will run for awhile which made me think was battery not alternator, but after driving for while and shut off car will not start again without jump. I heard the connector on the 89 acura legend ls faulty on this model. Is this correct? should i buy a new alternator, rebuild, replace the diodes or just replace connector. any help would be great . Thank You
If your wiper control module is good maybe its the stalk switch (windshield washer/wiper switch/controller) that is shorted... do a search on this one, it has been addressed in the past.

Faulty/bad alternator is most likely be the cause of your battery not charging properly... service your battery terminals as well specially the ground, clean all contact points.

· Registered
242 Posts
DITTO, never put a higher amp fuse than what it calls for, can you electrical fire?

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
still need help

gzagenius said:
to see if its your alternator

disconnect your pos battery cables while the engines running...if it keeps runnin the alt is fine, if it dies, well, then its not
ok disconnected the pos cable of battery while running, it kept running, reconnected the cable then shut off, went to start again, it wouldnt start unless i threw a jump on it. so could this problem be related to the wiper problem of the wiper fuse blowing everytime i put one in (instantly). is it possible that theres a short thats draining the battery that fast? and if so how do i locate it and fix? :confused:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.