Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone list exactly which years and trim models had the "type II" brakes?

As far as I know, the 93+ LS coupes and 94-95 GS coupes had the dual piston (40mm/38mm I believe) brakes up front. Any others?

How can you tell what these calipers from the non-Type II calipers by looking at it? I don't want to get jipped by a junkyard...

Also, can someone tell me about the rear braking system? Single piston? Is it a 38mm pistol? What is the diameter of the rear rotors? Width of the rotor?

Did the rear caliper/brake setup differ among the years of the 2nd generation legends?

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
TypeSH said:
Can someone list exactly which years and trim models had the "type II" brakes?

As far as I know, the 93+ LS coupes and 94-95 GS coupes had the dual piston (40mm/38mm I believe) brakes up front. Any others?

How can you tell what these calipers from the non-Type II calipers by looking at it? I don't want to get jipped by a junkyard...

Also, can someone tell me about the rear braking system? Single piston? Is it a 38mm pistol? What is the diameter of the rear rotors? Width of the rotor?

Did the rear caliper/brake setup differ among the years of the 2nd generation legends?
All 93-95 coupes (L and LS) and 94-95 GS sedan have the typeII engine and have the dual piston. There is no GS coupe, the GS came in sedan form only.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
whoops, I meant to say GS sedan.

but anyways, so how can you visually tell the difference between the Type II and Type I calipers? Any part number stamped on I can use?

Also, anyone know about the rear brakes? I didn't see anything when I searched on those. Rotor width? vented rotors? Caliper piston size?

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,943 Posts
Well, I'm not sure if there is a part number stamped on the caliper, but like you alrady said, the TYPE II uses a dual piston while the TYPE I is a single piston, so visually you will see 1 larger piston on the TYPE I, and 2 smaller pistons on the TYPE II calipers. The rear calipers and rear disks are all the same.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ChrisK said:
Well, I'm not sure if there is a part number stamed on the caliper, but like you alrady said, the TYPE II uses a dual piston while the TYPE I is a single piston, so visually you will see 1 larger piston on the TYPE I, and 2 smaller pistons on the TYPE II calipers. The rear calipers and rear disks are all the same.
Do you know the size of the rear calipers or the rotor size/width?

I don't own a legend, but am researching for a caliper swap. I know for sure that the front's will bolt up to other honda cars.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Hey SH, have you considered NSX calipers? There is a tech article about this at hondaprelude.com I believe. If I remember correctly, the NSX calipers are a direct fit, only requiring a 5mm shim to adjust caliper offset, and they are compatible with 93-96 VTEC rotors (possibly also 97-01 rotors, not sure though). I think the Legend rear brakes are bigger than a Preludes', My buddy's 2001 Prelude rear brakes look much smaller than mine.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Oh, I almost forgot, the Legend uses a rear rotor/drum combo. Maybe not compatible with the Prelude.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
takemorepills said:
Hey SH, have you considered NSX calipers? There is a tech article about this at hondaprelude.com I believe. If I remember correctly, the NSX calipers are a direct fit, only requiring a 5mm shim to adjust caliper offset, and they are compatible with 93-96 VTEC rotors (possibly also 97-01 rotors, not sure though). I think the Legend rear brakes are bigger than a Preludes', My buddy's 2001 Prelude rear brakes look much smaller than mine.
Rear/rotor drum combo? Can you elaborate on that?

I originally got the idea from the NSX swap... but found out the legend calipers have a slightly larger piston up front and will also bolt up. I drive an accord, not a prelude, somehow the handle TypeSH just stuck w/ me over the years (before I actually bought the accord), so i just use it.

I plan to use accord wagon/V6 rotors (11", 4x114.3 hub over rotor design).

Thanks for your help guys!

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,943 Posts
TypeSH said:

Rear/rotor drum combo? Can you elaborate on that?

!
The rear is still a disk rotor, but within the rotor hat on the inside is a brake drum for the parking brake. The inner part of the rear rotor hat acts as a brake drum for the parking brake.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well any about some info on the caliper size and rotor size? Maybe I can rig something up to run the same calipers on similar sized rotors w/ out the drum part of it.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but could someone tell me the actual size in MM of the pistons on the dual pot caliper?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bump this thread, I'm curious about the size to see if I can interchange the rebuild kit to a another 2-pot Honda brake setup. I've read on this forum that they are 38mm/42mm, and also read that they are 36mm/40mm. Anybody know for sure what they really are?

·
EDM KA8 owner
711 Posts
I just finished my brake overhaul and the type2 pistons are 38 and 42 mm. (It is on the backside of the piston) The rears are 38mm for both type1 and
type2. the front 38mm is a little bit higher then the rear one.
The type2 front brake disc is 28mm thick. EDMs has only type2 front calipperes.
Here is the picture:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts