Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My thread on the oil pan for the drain plug has been stripped for a while now and I re-threaded it and used a bigger drain plug. But I would like to have it back the way it was because it still leaks a little. So should I buy a used on from the junk yard? or just keep re threading it and using a bigger plug?

Also, another car that I'm working on has a small leak (tiny hole) on the fuel tank. I'm thinking that I can just plug it up with some sealer or something. I'd love to weld over it but you know sparks/torch doesn't go real well with fuel :)

How can I fix this problem? Maybe drain all the fuel then wipe clean and try to solder another peice of metal over it? Or go the plug it up route (but what do I use)?

Thanks for the help fellas.

Gil.

·
502MotorSports.com
9,321 Posts
Ouch Gil!
I would not experiment with the fuel tank at all...even if you drain it dry..vapors can vaporize you when applied to a spark...... :(

this happened to some guys workin on a car behind a Home Depot last week (made the news..not sure if GA though)

You can do the oil pan so much...then think about those shaving s making their way up into your motor...not such a good idea imho...I would try to pick up one from a junkyard, like www.car-part.com

Good luck, buddy

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Best to buy a new replacement fuel tank. There should be several online sources. Buying a used one can often be "iffy"; often almost at the same point of wear as the old tank or you would still have to disassemble the fuel pump to make certain that the old fuel in the used tank has not turned to jelly.

The G2 oil pan new retails for around $356. The G1 $152. Prices used would be about half. I have not checked on this for many yrs, but I seem to remember a replacement bolt which was two parts; and outer and inner bolt. I have also seen drain bolts having a tab release. I am not sure whether either of these would be applicable.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Leaks,leaks,leaks! Sorry to hear about your dilema! Before you go through all the trouble and CRAP of changing out your fuel tank, try my old reliable-JB Weld. You might of heard of it might not of, but it works wonders! Two parts you mix together and it is strong! I had an old crx in h.s. with a small crack in the radiator up by the cap. J.B. welded it and it stopped. Now you know what kind of pressure a cooling system has so it might just work on your small leak in your tank. Just clean the surface real well and apply. Pick it up at Lows or Home Depot or any other place like that. Costs about 5.00. good luck!:)

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
You should be able to tap the existing oil pan drain hole as the land for this is pretty substantial. You said you used a bigger plug, but it didn't sound like you retapped the hole for the plug. If you did, it should be fine (don't forget a crush washer). If it leaks after retapping you may have a crack around the thread. As for leaking gas tank, these can be repaired by brazing, but you must drain, clean and vent the tank to properly prepare the surface for adherance....let a pro do this as it requires special knowledge and techniques.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts