Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 94 Legend GS 6spd for $500. The guy owned a garage and had since gone blind and wasn't able to work on the cars he had anymore.

Anyway. I bought the car not knowing at all what was wrong with it.(The gut had no idea either). The car had been sitting there for over 3 years.

1. It needed a starter.
2. Fuel pump rusted solid
3. main relay bad
4. squirrels nest under hood and chewed completely through engine harness by abs resevoir.

I fixed all that and it started right up. Being cautious, I drove slowly around the block a few times car ran good for the 1st 3 trips. 4th trip the car stalled at a stop sign. Started right back up made it half a block and and stalled again.
Since then it'll run fine til it warms up then it stalls about every 90 secs(even when just idling) I can hold rpms up to about 4k and itll cut out but catch idle before it stalls out.

anybody have any suggestions what this could be?

Oh yea I also changed the ignition switch with a known good one.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Just a thought, did you replace the fuel filter? Sounds like you got a hell of a deal. Post up some pictures of her. Also, I would be thinking about replacing the timing belt and water pump if you don't know much about the car.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
94 GS 6sp for $500 would have to be junkyard compacted to not be worth the $$$, not sure about the stalling, what kind of mileage is on it?

·
Banned
3,692 Posts
This may be no help at all because it happened on my Suburban, but hey, you never know! I had to take the 'burb in to the dealership today for the same thing and it was the distributor gears?? Maybe legends don't even have that, hell if I know, but it could be the answer too!

·
Registered
584 Posts
This may be no help at all because it happened on my Suburban, but hey, you never know! I had to take the 'burb in to the dealership today for the same thing and it was the distributor gears?? Maybe legends don't even have that, hell if I know, but it could be the answer too!
The G2's have ignition coils. The G1's have a distributor. Props for even attempting to offer advice, though. Most will view and not post.

As for the cutout, I would agree to look into the fuel filter or maybe (correct me if I'm wrong) the fuel pressure regulator. When you get the chance, post some pics of her. GL!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
That sounds like a tough one to diagnose. You had a rusted fuel pump so who knows what kind of sediment your fuel tank may have in it. You could be getting your feul filter and your injectors fouled up. Plus you had rodents eating at your wiring. You may have a wire shorting out somewhere.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
Welcome to the forum :) great find.

^ True this would be difficult to diagnose but I would start with the simple things and work backwards by degree of difficulty, using the service manual to assist you I know there is a trouble for symptoms where the car dies when it is warm and not when it is cold I would, replace the fuel filter (could be due for a change anyway, check all your vacuum lines and EGR there is a DIY on cleaning it

·
SGM / Type F
3,653 Posts
GS 6MT for $500?!?!?! Damn that's a good find no matter what! +1 on the dirty fuel filter (easy/cheap and you should replace anyway if it sat for that long) and sediment from your tank fouling up the fuel delivery system. But there are a couple of symptoms you mentioned that make me think it might be something other than the fuel system:

1. Do you hear any vacuum leaks?
2. Check the voltage when it cuts out and see if there is a dip right before it stalls.
3. Any codes?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Help

Hey guys, I recently traded my old crx for a 1988 legend turbo, its pretty kool however the engine check light is on. I have looked under the passenger seat and im pretty sure its giving me a code 1-frount o2 sensor. now here is where i am completly lost and could use some help. I have some mechanical knowleadge but not enough. could someone more learned than me give me a litttle assistace in fixing this issue as i would realy like my car to be boosting properly.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hey guys, I recently traded my old crx for a 1988 legend turbo, its pretty kool however the engine check light is on. I have looked under the passenger seat and im pretty sure its giving me a code 1-frount o2 sensor. now here is where i am completly lost and could use some help. I have some mechanical knowleadge but not enough. could someone more learned than me give me a litttle assistace in fixing this issue as i would realy like my car to be boosting properly.
First, don't thread jack. second, look in your manual cuz im too lazy to explain it.

·
Lone Star Legends
614 Posts
If you didn't replace the fuel filter before, I'd replace it now. If the pump was "rusted solid" then there's a chance that the 1st 3 runs broke some residual rust down the line and clogged the filter. It was my first thought when reading your post...then confirmed about 4 times in the post.

Great find...post pics!!!

·
SGM / Type F
3,653 Posts
Unless you have the same problem as the guy that started this thread you need to start your own thread and/or post in similar problem threads in the G1 (86-90) Legend section. This is the G2 (91-95) section and your problem isn't even the same as the OP's so it's considered hijacking his thread. Do a search for O2 sensors in the G1 section first and see what info that yields.

·
Banned
3,692 Posts
The G2's have ignition coils. The G1's have a distributor. Props for even attempting to offer advice, though. Most will view and not post.

As for the cutout, I would agree to look into the fuel filter or maybe (correct me if I'm wrong) the fuel pressure regulator. When you get the chance, post some pics of her. GL!
Hey, I learned something new! I agree on the fuel filter, that's what I thought was wrong with the suburban when we took that in.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the responses, Sorry it took a few days to reply but I didn't set my email notification.

As for the fuel filter I replaced that first thing and drained the fuel tank(both before I even tried to start it). Running gas that's been sitting for 3+ years can cause problems by itself. But that was before I found that the fuel pump needed replaced. After I replaced I replaced the fuel pump, it actually blew a lot of rust or sediment through the line and I replace the filter again since then.

I actually was thinking about the fuel pressure regulator. I have a fuel pressure gauge but can't find an adapter for honda service ports. When I take the vacuum hose off of it, it does nothing. I know on most hondas I've worked on the idle will raise a little but they were all 4 cyl. This legend runs so smooth and quiet its hard to tell.

Thanks for the input but I just want you guys to know I'm no stranger to engines and I'm very familiar with hondas. I just know that the legend has a LOT of know issues and I appreciate any help you guys can give me. I'll keep you posted

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
now its at the point to where it stalls when I push the gas pedal. I'll be replacing the fpr this weekend

·
A 15yr O.G. Owner!
377 Posts
Sounds like you are well on your way to pinning down the cutoff issue, great steal...er...buy, BTW! Welcome!

·
SGM / Type F
3,653 Posts
now its at the point to where it stalls when I push the gas pedal. I'll be replacing the fpr this weekend
Keep us updated once you replace it and put up some pic of the ride when you get a chance!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts