Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a doctor diagnosis... Well, the last couple of times i've driven, the poor car has stalled on me on the road. There has been no trouble starting up or restarting it up, but everytime I go out and drive for like the first 10 minutes, the engine just cuts off on me and the lights dim for about a second. The battery light and oil light turn on as well. I just replaced my battery and it doesn't seem like a battery related problem. The oil level was fine but i added a little bit anyways the first time it happened, but the problem still occured. Any feed back would be deeply appreciated. I need to drive from the Bay to LA pretty soon, so i don't really want my car stalling on the highway, even though restart is relatively easy. Thanks again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Similiar experience with a Toyota

I had a toyota that did almost this exact same thing, it was bad plugs and wires. (i.e. somehow two of my plugs were actually broken, and I had one plug wire that was making no contact at all.

Took the dealer to figure it out, but that's all it was.

So maybe check the plugs??

I don't think a clogged fuel filter would do it, because that would just stall the engine out, I don't think it would dim the lights etc... I'm not an electrical genius, so maybe someone else has some ideas.

Hmm, I am reaching here... but maybe compression loss is why the oil light comes on, loose or bad hose somewhere that only leaks once the cars engine is warm??

Good luck with your diagnosis, not sure I was really any help, but I tried.

-Black

·
Registered
702 Posts
this may not be your problem, but could be...since you said you just changed your battery...check the connections on the battery, the positive and negative sides and make sure they are completely tight.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LeGeNdZ_4_LiFe said:
have you done any preventive maintenance yet?
how many miles?
just did a 30,000 mile maintenance 2000 miles ago at 210,000 miles. not long ago. i'm at 212,000 right now.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
this sounds like a fuel supply problem, with several potential causes. Have you ever changed the fuel filter? If not, start with this. Other potential problem could be weak fuel pump (they do wear out on high mileage cars). If it only happened when interior of car was hot (locked up and parked in sun), I would expect fuel relay under dash (hondas have had this problem) to be culprit. But sounds like it happens when engine cold (or does it recur every 10 minutes?). Any engine light illuminate (or MIL malfunction indicator lamp)? If so you can capture the code for the cause...post again if so..

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
k. now the car seems to be getting sicker. =( i tried to start it up today and it just doesn't want to start at all. alternator is fine, it's rolling, but something's not catching. Cold weather may have something to do with it but i'm not completely sure. Malfunction lamp and Gonna have to take it to a mechanic soon. Any more input would be great. Thanks for all the input thus far. I appreciate it. Looks like i'll be flying home LA this time. =(

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I don;t know where you are in bay area, but if you want you can contact my mechanic.
he is located in Fremont off of 880 Fwy.
name: manny
Phone: (510) 979-9400
Shop Name: A1 Auto and Body Repair
He's very reasonable and very sharp!

I am driving down to LA tomorrow morning for the weekend! Too bad you will be flying!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts