Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year after I changed over to r 134 my compressor clutch fried. I am getting another compressor. Is there anything else I should changge out since the system will be open?

·
Registered
301 Posts
If the system is open for more than an hour, change the dryer.
It will soak up all the moisture from the air.

You can replace the clutch alone, but dependant on price, it may me better to swap the whole thing.

You may want to flush the lines, evaporator and condeser, so you know you'll have a clean system to start with.

Aside from the O rings on the suction and discharge line, there's not a whole lot since you had it converted last year.

When I did mine this year, I was told to change the expansion valve also. But getting at it was too much trouble, so I left it. I was willing to take a chance, since it was my compressor that failed.

Remember to wear safety glasses and remove the manifold from the old compressor.

Almost forgot, since you changed over to R-134a, you'll need a 91-92 dryer, there are different ones for 91-92 and 93-95, don't let the sales guy tell you different. (93-95 will not work - been there done dat and had to pay restocking fee) :mad:

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Spiff has provided a comprehensive response. For the cost, it is usually best to replace the receiver/dryer. You don't usually have to replace any other part unless you have evidence that the compressor has shed particulate/filings or that the R-12 system had leaked for an appreciable time and allowed moisture to enter the system. The R-12 and air combines to form a very corrosive (and poison) gas which in turn eats compressor internals, hoses (what some have described as "Black Death") and metering devices.

The 93-95 receiver/driers are designed for a 134 system. According to a Crash Estimating Guide I have, the P/N for the A/C lines are different. I suspect the connections may be sized differently. So you would need to purchase your 91-92 drier and then purchase the retrofit kit.

The compressors do carry different P/Ns. Application is 1991-92 and 1993-95.

·
Registered
301 Posts
To further LPB, the compessors for all our cars is the Nippondenso 10PA20C.
From the service manual, the only difference I could see, is that the manifold has a new part on it, a "relief valve" that allows the compressor to "vent" the refigerent when pressures get too high (ie dangerous levels).

This was put in place to save the compressor and the rest of the system (I believe).

My car is a "spilt year", so although I have a 93, I had the R-12 system in mine. My compressor does not have the relief valve and neither will any 91-92.

You may be able to use one of the following also.

96-98 TL - Nippondenso 10PA20C with a 5 groove serpentine clutch
96-99 RL - Nippondenso 10PA20C with a 5 groove serpentine clutch

I would hazzard a guess that the 96-98 TL will fit perfectly, since our engines are almost identical. - But make sure you verify this with a parts guy. :D

My parts guy got one for me off of a Cressida or Avalon I believe, and replaced the clutch and bearings.

If you're going to use a compressor from a different car model/manufacturer, make sure that the model matches exactly.

ie Nippondenso 10PA20C is not the same as Nippondenso 10P20C.
Notice the "A" is missing.
It may have a different housing, or different mounting points.
:(

Hope that helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.