Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after reading the thread about smoking tires, I tried all methods to smoke them, no big results, even dropping the hammer at 6,000 ropm only yeilded (sp) a little wheelspin (that is an extreme rarity I do not abuse my transmission like that regularly), my question is this isn there any economical way to get more torque? or does it have to be horses, THEN torque? thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Torque Baby

It's all about the Torque. Remember, torque is a measure of twisting force (lb-ft. or newton-meters) while horsepower (or watts) is just a measure of power. In other words Torque is what you want.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Wheel Spin is a good indicator at the amount of torque in vehicle, and the G1 doesn't have A LOT of torque, but you DON'T want wheel spin at the beginning anyways, it makes your car launch slower.

WheelSpin = Slower Launch

Now, if you just want torque to be faster off the line, you're going to need something like a SuperCharger. These cars don't have much torque, they're not sports cars, they were never meant to be. Generally, a lot of torque is good at the lower-to-mid rpm while, Horsepower is best at the higher rpms. Compared to let's say a Civic, the Legend has a good amount of torque, however, due to the fact that they are heavy, it gets lost. That's why Legends tend to be really fast at freeway speeds, or above 40mph, but slower off the line.

Also the G1s are based out of mid-80s technology, and it is not Turboed, nor does it have VTEC. I think it's pretty powerful considering that.

When you compare it to the G2s, you have pretty much the same thing, while there is more torque, the car is also heavier, but they have the higher HP that can be felt on the freeways/high speed much more.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bummer. I am not that financially inclined as to be able to fabricate a SC or buy the 4,000 turbo, thus the economical part of my post, oh well, I am currently working on getting a Camaro as my racer, got a fren who it giving me the hook-up for a 98'

·
Registered
30 Posts
Torque is what gives the pull off the line, and Horsepower is what feels good once you get going.

Honda/Acura motors are not known for torque, so I wouldn't spend much time (or money) trying to re-write the books.

The best thing you can do is make sure your engine is running correctly (tuned), plugs are good, fuel (and injectors) are good, and air filter is clean.

·
Registered
109 Posts
flashdragoon said:
bummer. I am not that financially inclined as to be able to fabricate a SC or buy the 4,000 turbo, thus the economical part of my post, oh well, I am currently working on getting a Camaro as my racer, got a fren who it giving me the hook-up for a 98'
question.....if you dont have the money for a SC or a turbo how much of a hook up on the 98 camaro are you getting????

If you want good torque #s for cheap then NOS your G1, you dont need a Camaro to go fast, look at DV8 running 13s with an automatic G2...you can get at least 14s on your G1 with a lil NOS, Ricdogg is "almost" keeping up with my Camaro (on the freeway) with a 50 shot on his G1

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
past_acura_owner said:
If you want good torque #s for cheap then NOS your G1, you dont need a Camaro to go fast, look at DV8 running 13s with an automatic G2...you can get at least 14s on your G1 with a lil NOS, Ricdogg is "almost" keeping up with my Camaro (on the freeway) with a 50 shot on his G1
Camaro sounds like fun, though. And definitely has more tuning potential for the future.

·
Registered
109 Posts
vince said:

Camaro sounds like fun, though. And definitely has more tuning potential for the future.
Yeah they do but the downside is that everyone knows your fast so unless they have something under their hoods they wont race you, a Legend on the other hand catches everyone off guard :D

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
my friend is selling his 98, and if I should so choose to buy it, will let me have it on 250.00 a month, now iof only superchargers and turbo's could be sold in instalments....

·
Registered
109 Posts
flashdragoon said:
my friend is selling his 98, and if I should so choose to buy it, will let me have it on 250.00 a month, now iof only superchargers and turbo's could be sold in instalments....
go to summitracing.com
any purchase over like $500 or so can be made in payments.....get a ATI or Vortech SC if you get one, and good insurance is a must with that setup :D

some advice....when getting on the gas, make sure there are no trees or center dividers near lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts