Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace my fronts as they sound horrible with an aftermarket head unit. What is your opinion on these speakers and which ones should I buy? Thanx:)

I am running kicker 6x9s in the back off of an amp, with an alpine deck

Also remember that I will be running these off the deck probably...

Rockford Fosgate FRC2206 Speakers
INFINITY Kappa 62.3i
Infinity Reference 652i Speakers
Clarion SRR1623
Clarion SRR1633 speakers
Polk Audio 6.5" MM 6520 3 Ways Speakers
POLK AUDIO EX365
KICKER I650 6.5" Coaxial Speakers
KICKER i600 2-Way 6-1/2" Speakers

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
what i would do is run the 6x9's off the head unit and run some components of the amp in the front to get better staging.
i'd look into like mb quarts, jl audio, or diamond audio. those comps are pretty good IMO. if price is an issue, i'd also look into DEI comps. they will give you the most bang for the buck.
-j

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went to an electronics store yesterday and the price turrned me off of components... maybe cuz I am not really convinced if they are that much better than coax.. do you know the differences between the two? Also, would those kicker 6x9s be OK running off a deck? Thanx for your help...:)

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
basically, the reason why i like components is because you can adjust the crossover where as with coax speakers the crossover is built into the line.
depending on u'r head unit, i'm sure it'll handle it. besides, you really don't need speakers in the back. most of the sound will come from the front speakers so you should amp those.
how much are looking to spend? because comps are really not that much more than coax's. look into DEI. i really like the sound they push out. and it's only like 160-200.
-j

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am only looking to spend about $175 CDN max, so like $100 US tops... by the sounds of it they are way out of my price range..

Now I just ripped apart my stereo and unhooked the fronts (cuz buddy had bose and aftermarket into one strand) so I just have the rears. NOw say I do go with coax speakers.... would it be better to run a 4 channel amp in the rear and run everything off of the amp or just hook them up to the deck... thanx for your help.. you sound like you know what you are talking about.:)

·
Registered
851 Posts
If your aftermarket headunit had enough power, you can always run the speakers with the built in power from the headunit. And if you run it with 4 channels amp, the sound definitely will be better than running it directly from the head unit. And, about the separates or coax, just personal preference, and a good one about 100 is maybe Infinity, kicker, polk, is about the same, hehehee.......... if you shell out more money, get the a/d/s at least, or MB Quart Referenze Premium or Focal Polykevlar.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HMMMMM.... I am thinking of them now.... But I saw a great deal tonight on some JL 6.5s. They had 1 pair left and I could get them for $150 installed, regular $300. Its about $85 US...

What do you think of JL audio?

Thanx:)

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
are these comps? cause that's a good price on comps, especially JL Audio. you should definately run the front off the amp. regardless of wether it's coax or comps. the head unit should have more than enough to run the back 6x9s.
if you amp the back and not the front, it will sound like crap. that is how i had it when i was first starting out with stereos. my reason was, it was easier to get to the rear speakers and wire them than the front. =)
but when i did it, the staging inside the car was all out of wack and just sounded like $hit.

so, my advice is power the rear from the head unit, and power the front with the amp. that'll give you a much better sound.

oh and more thing, when you run the speaker wires to the front, make sure you run the speaker wires one side of the car and the power wire for the amp on the other side. if you don't, you will get alternator whine.
-j

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually they are just coax. He turned on some comps of a few different brands and to tell you the truth, I really did not notice a difference. Thanx for your input. I might go and buy them today:)

·
Registered
671 Posts
actually, if you run speaker/power wire, just run it wherever it is most convenient...one of the biggest myths in car audio is that you need to run them on opposite sides of the car. 9 times out of ten, you will have no alternator whine if you run them together.

wally

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
9/10 eh?
i've seen 3 systems with alternator whine because of this. maybe its becuase all 3 systems were running 2 guage wires. would that make a difference? who knows but just to be safe i'd still run them on different sides. it can't hurt.

-j

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanx for your help guys... I got my speakers installed today. I went with a pair of JL TR 650, and I got them for $160 including tax, and out the door. Good thing I made sure they were installed cuz it took buddy 5 hours to put them in. The previous installer had things fugged up so bad that I was at the store for the whole day. Anyways, they sound awesome and when I get more $$$ one day, I will defenitaly go with components...:)

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hey there, the best speakers i have ever heard are the one's i have now. And i have had alot, i have had infinity kappa's, polk momo's , Mb quart q's ( supposidily the best). I have Orion HCCA 6 1/2" components, they are insane. Incredible loud and detailed, no distortion at all, nomatter the volume level. Tweeters so ohh so sweet. Even the installer said he had heard all, and they were the best he's heard. Hope this helps. Very expensive, retail around $900, found mine on ebay brand new for $227, maybe you could be that lucky.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanx... a little out of my price range though as I just bought the car.

I will be getting components when I redo the system in like 5 years:D That way I will no longer be a poor student and I will have money to spend on stereo stuff. My buddy had a 15" Orion sub and I swear my heart skipped a beat.... very good stuff.

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,943 Posts
wallstrum said:
go read through this forum: <http://www.carsound.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum;f=2>. david navone is one of the premier installers and researchers in the car audio industry. if you take a step back and actuallythink critically about what he has to say, then you winn understand. just look for posts about fixing alternator whine...

wally
I agree. CarSound is my favorite car audio page. Dave and Richard are the few that I actually take their work over any one elses.

I am one of the few fortuante ones that rarely have a problem with noise. Only when I have a bad interconnect concection do I sometimes get noise, but as soon as I make a good connection, it goes away.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts