3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a digital camera. I want:
at least 2.0MP
optical zoom
nothing cheap junk
nothing too expensive
nothing sony

I am looking to spend under $500 CDN (~$350 US).

What do you guys recommend?
Any brands to stay away from?

I am not going to be making movies, but if it is an added bonus, sure. I just want to take some nice pics.

G

·
Look no further!!! Get a Nikon Coolpix 775. Go to buy.com and get it. http://www.us.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10283040&loc=14577 is the link to the page where it is and you can go get a coupon from http://www.dailyedeals.com/free_online_coupons/buy.htm or http://www.couponsanddeals.com. I have a Nikon CoolPix 995 and absolutely love it.... The pictures are amazing. One of my friends has a 775 and it is great, the pictures are practically identical quality. The scenes are great, and its really easy to use, yet very powerful if you want it to be. (small too!!)

Seriously, if you get anything else then you are fooling yourself.

http://www.nikonusa.com

·
I'm too sexy for my car
2,498 Posts
I was gonna say get the Sony DSC-P5, but then I saw what your budget was. A friend of mines has the Nikon Coolpix 885 and its a great camera. I have a sony digital video camera that takes still pics but i'm thinking of getting the sony DSC-P5 so I can easily transfer pics from each one if needed.

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,943 Posts
Canon EOS D30 :)The best part about that camera is you can use the same lens as all the other EOS cameras. When I have money, I'm getting that one, or its replacement to use with my Elan IIe.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You guys seem to like the Nikkon cameras. I looked at a

fuji ($350CDN) , no optical zoom or auto focus, 2.1 MP
an olympus ($450CDN), 3x optical zoom, 2.1MP, auto focus, red eye reduction

ChrisK, is that cannon camera really tiny?
I saw a cannon that was about 5"X3". It looked like a really sweet camera, but it was $680. I am not sure of the model number.

I was looking at the sony P5, but like you said, quite expensive.

The other sony's seemed to be over priced for what you got, features wise. I am going to try and locate that nikkon in town, and a cannon. The place that I saw the cannon only had the expensive one.

What about HP? The chain that Best Buy is taking over (Future Shop) carries them....

Thanx guys...

·
#108 of 144 pairs
134 Posts
RE: digital camera

I have a Nikon CoolPix 995 and absolutely love it.... The pictures are amazing. One of my friends has a 775 and it is great, the pictures are practically identical quality. The scenes are great, and its really easy to use, yet very powerful if you want it to be. (small too!!)

Seriously, if you get anything else then you are fooling yourself.

http://www.nikonusa.com
I agree! Nikon Coolpix 995!!! The 3.31 megapix produces excellent quality. I use it daily and its amazing. Not to mention the 290 degree lens rotation as well as the 2 hour + li-ion batt. If you can be patient, get a gray market camera for much less than the US's lowest prices.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Mckenzie91 said:
ChrisK, is that cannon camera really tiny?
I saw a cannon that was about 5"X3". It looked like a really sweet camera, but it was $680. I am not sure of the model number.
The D30 is a full-fledged SLR (I want one too, as a companion to my EOS Elan). The small Canon you saw was probably and S300 or S30/40. Those are quite nice as well.

Also, why not Sony? :confused:

·
1990 Legend
214 Posts
I just bought a Cannon S30 two weeks age and I love it :D It takes great pictures, and it's small, well built and has tons of settings, longs with a full auto mode. I think it's a little more than you are looking to spend though, but if you have best buy in your area, I got 12month no intrest with them on the camera, so I have some time to pay it off...

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe I sound ignorant, but I am totally biased against sony. I hate their products and I think they are way over priced. My dad had a sony trinitron and after only like 5 years, the thing would have to warm up for 25 minutes before it would do anything. My sony discman pooched on me after two years, and I have three friends whose PS2's went on them in like 8 months. The cameras I was looking at were only like 1.3 MP, and no features for the price of fugi with 2.1 MP, and better options.

Darith, what features does the 550 lack behind the 750?:) Thanx

·
Registered
56 Posts
Josh S said:
I just bought a Cannon S30 two weeks age and I love it :D .
Is that the Elph Digi? I've been wanting that camera for mad long. It's the same size as a pack of smokes. Theprice just dropped like $150 so I think I'm gonna pick it up:D

·
1990 Legend
214 Posts
Bishop said:
Is that the Elph Digi? I've been wanting that camera for mad long. It's the same size as a pack of smokes. Theprice just dropped like $150 so I think I'm gonna pick it up:D
No, the Elph is the S110 and it's 2.1MP. A guy I work with has it and it is smaller than the S30, but the picture quality and zoom aren't as good as my S30. It also doesn't have all the manual settings that the S30 has, although for a small point-and-shoot I think it's a great camera.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I love my OLYMPUS C-700 UZ because of the 10x optical zoom and 27x digital zoom. The zoom feature is something I was looking for though. 2.1MP I think.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well thanx you guys for your input:)

Today I went out and bought a Nikkon coolpix 775 and a neat little case. I paid $560 CDN for the camera and about $25 for the case. With sales tax, it came to $625. Well, I got it in time for my trip to the mountains this weekend. Hopefully I can bring back some sweet shots.

Next order of business is getting my car out for the weekend. Yup, it was finally head gasket time, and hopefully it will be buttoned up by friday afternoon. :)

·
GIN NSX
484 Posts
I guess I'm late in making my recommendation... But I will make it anyways... Although, its more than you want to spend...

Get a Canon G2.... I bought it because I have a G2 Coupe...

Mike
6 sokudo

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Nikon D1X... ok ok... if any of you know about cameras, then you KNOW that this is the BEST... 5.4 MP, SLR style... this is my Lamborghini of cameras.... but it's alot more than you want to spend... The Nikon Coolpix is good, get either model... take it from me, I use only Nikon stuff <-- photographer... I have Nikon N60, N90S, and F-series... good stuff... For non-digital cameras, Nkon is THE ONLY choice... you're either Canon or Nikon, and I get into alot of confrontations about this, but for Digital you have alot more choices... but I choose Nikon!

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
lol I meant 775! sorry about that, i knew it was one step down from the 880. CONGRATS!! you'll love the camera! It's small, fast, easy to use, and very convenient to have. =) I should have gotten a digital camera instead of jdm headlights. =(

1 - 20 of 38 Posts