Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone please help!!!!!!

My wife has a Dodge Neon and I just went outside and tried to start it and when I turned the key NOTHING!!!!!!! her car has power, lights, radio and dashboard lights up. When I tried to start it no clicking NOTHING!!!! I AM STRESSED I checked the fuses and they are not blown.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

·
502MotorSports.com
9,296 Posts
1 - is the car securely in park? or if auto, clutch fully depressed?
2 - dumb question...gas ?
2.5 - when you turn on he car, listen for a quick 5 second hum...this is your fuel pump doing the initiation. If you cannot hear it, have her turn the key to the to the on (not cranking) position and you put your ear up to the rear of the vehicle.
3 - how many miles? is it possible there is no spark?
If this is a possiblity, pull the #1 spark plug wire from the manifold, and have her turn it over while you hold a screwdriver to the wire or a solid metal surface. Check for a spark.

Now, what this will tell you is one of two things, or both:

1 - You have fuel, and its getting to the engine
2 - You have fire, and it has the ability to ignite this fuel.

If you DO have fuel, it is possible that your fuel pump is inop, or the fuse for that is blown.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. yes it is in park
2. yes it has gas
3. 69,000 miles bought it a month and a half ago have only put a thousand miles on it it is a 96
I don't know how to do the spark plug thing can u explain(like location)
I will listen to fuel pump right now and put reply in a few minutes
I will also check fuses again.

Thanks for reply man:)

·
502MotorSports.com
9,296 Posts
no problem...

Ok
1- remove the spark plug wire (#1) from the top of the motor (I think it would be the the first from the right,if this is a 4 cylinder)

2- make sure you do not hold this wire in your hand or you will get zapped :p.

3- find a solid point of the car, as close as possible to that wire, but not your alternator, etc., and place it perpendicular to the spark plug wire. It needs to be no more than 1" away. You can use a crowbar if nothing is close enough

4- have your wife turn the ignition, and observe for a spark on your end.

Good luck

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i just unplugged the spark plug? from the engine (it just pulls right out?) I saw a metal piece sticckin out I guess this is where the spark is supposed to come from(please excuse my stupidity) I had her start the car but I saw no spark I don't know if I did what you told me correctly but I really appreciate your help. The car is still under warranty so I will go to the dealer in the morning and have them tow and fix. I was trying to get the :( off my wife's face, and also tyring to look I knew a lot about cars:) Oh well I'll leave it to the experts.

THANKS A LOT LEON I APPRECIATE IT:D

·
Registered
82 Posts
The engine should still crank regardless of fuel or spark. Try a new battery or jump start. If you are sure your battery is ok, then you need to look at the starter and see if it is getting power. If it is not it is probably the something with the ignition switch, relay, fuse, etc. If you are getting power at the starter, your starter is probably bad. You can test the starter by disconnecting the power wire going to it, connect a jumper cable from the + terminal to the where the starter wire was attached. the starter should turn. If it is manual then be sure to have someone step on the clutch before you try this. A bad battery will usually power the accessories, but not have the current capacity to turn the engine.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update

I forgot to post that I had tried to jumpstart it, and that didn't work.I had the car towed to the dealer yesterday and when it got to the dealer guess what IT STARTED!!!!!!!!!! I am now thinking it is the kill switch from the alarm. I will find out whne I pick it up today.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
1. Don't buy a neon
2. Don't buy a neon:D Just kidding man...But really..don't...

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
jrock7791 said:
Matt it's just his wifes car...he's trying to provoke envy!
lol nah just trying to help the misses

I was soo mad we got the car towed to the dealer and guess what happended IT STARTED!!!! I think the cutoff switch on the alarm is defective I am getting that checked this weekend.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts