Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I see this great and easy DIY here on changing the fuel filter in the legends, I decide to go for it. I go to the Acura Dealer this weekend to get a OEM fliter, but the mechanic tells me that the 94 and older models never need the fuel fliter changed out. EVER. I get it anyways and I tell myself the gaskets at least could wear out in time. How can a filter last forever. He tells me it is made of Carbon and I am thinking of something like the inside of a brita filter, carbon sand stuff. Those need replacement after a while right? Anyone know if I he is right or wrong?

· Registered
507 Posts
The guy at my local dealer said the same thing. I replaced it anyway at 120K, since there were many times I didn't use 91, top tier gas. Craps could built up from the last ownership as well.

If you are the original owner, strictly use good 91 gas then can just skip this maintenance.

· has left the building
7,314 Posts
These technicians are idiots. I don't care where you buy gas from, there is ALWAYS going to be a certain amount of crud floating around in it. If you've ever seen the inside of an underground gas tank that's been dug up, you know what I'm talking about. NO fuel filter lasts forever and replacing it is cheap insurance against screwing up your fuel delivery system. Replace it at 90K and be done with it.

I swear, there are dumbasses everywhere. Jesus Christ. I guess nobody understands the concept of a major service every 90K anymore.

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for replying and making me feel better about the 30 bones I just threw down. At first I figure, hey why is this guy trying to not selll this to me. He didn't even have to find it, someone else brought it to him from the back. Second, he didn't try and tell me I need to service my car instead. He sounded like he was trying to give me free advice. My car has 140,000 miles on it I tell him and I am sure it was never changed. Some people? :werd:

· Registered
254 Posts
lololol im mean seriously people. every type of filter of what ever kind should be change if it did'nt then a filter would'nt be there in the first place. Its like crappn in ya pants but you dont change drawers.lololololol there are some stupid mechanics out there.

· Registered
2,843 Posts
The fuel filters on newer Hondas/Acuras (99-up TL's, MDX, RSX, 05 RL, TSX)are considered "maintenance free" by Honda. There is no longer an external filter that can be replaced. The "filter" is part of the fuel pump pickup on these newer cars. It can still be replaced if necessary in the event of fuel contamination, etc, but the fuel pump has to be removed to do so. That said, I have no idea why some idiot told you that the older cars didn't need their filters replaced. :rolleyes:

· Registered
894 Posts
Not to highjack this thread but I thought about doing mine for the hell of it too, but i get decent gas mileage, 21-22mpg, does your mpg go down if the filter needs to be changed?

Thanks.

· Registered
185 Posts
Kenso said:
The fuel filters on newer Hondas/Acuras (99-up TL's, MDX, RSX, 05 RL, TSX)are considered "maintenance free" by Honda. There is no longer an external filter that can be replaced. The "filter" is part of the fuel pump pickup on these newer cars. It can still be replaced if necessary in the event of fuel contamination, etc, but the fuel pump has to be removed to do so. That said, I have no idea why some idiot told you that the older cars didn't need their filters replaced. :rolleyes:
Agreed, there are some mechanics that have no scruples, and some that are just plain idiots.

· Registered
912 Posts
stevieray said:
These technicians are idiots. I don't care where you buy gas from, there is ALWAYS going to be a certain amount of crud floating around in it. If you've ever seen the inside of an underground gas tank that's been dug up, you know what I'm talking about. NO fuel filter lasts forever and replacing it is cheap insurance against screwing up your fuel delivery system. Replace it at 90K and be done with it.

I swear, there are dumbasses everywhere. Jesus Christ. I guess nobody understands the concept of a major service every 90K anymore.
I second that all of that, AMEN :bowdown:

Chris (Mr. Wood)

Frost on Ivory

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.