Acura Legend Forum banner

New car feverish, but now what??

2K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  ChrisK 
#1 ·
I love my Legend Coupes, I've had both a G1 stick and a G2 auto. But I have new car fever. My 95 G2 Legend is nice but seems so heavy and doesn't handle near as well as the G1 did, that was my favorite car of all. I've always driven 2 door Honda products. What next for $30k or less?

Older Lexus Coupe?
BMW- Pricey, 3 series too small. high maint. cost
Audi- Love the design of the A6 (4 door). pricey
MB - 2 door coupe, high maint cost.
Lexus- I like the SC430, but can only buy half of one.
The new Infiniti 35 - 2 door?
CL- Not a Legend, but it's new and now has a 6 speed. Since it looks like the CL is being discontinued and a true premium Honda coupe is not coming anytime soon, what's left?

Legend- Find a 95 LS 6speed, low miles, .yea right,..next.

Mod up my 95 Coupe to make it handle better, has 60k miles now.
I wonder if a 6speed would handle worse since the car is so heavy feeling. My G1 and Prelude make the G2 feel like a boat.

I think they don't make the car I want, the sportier ones are too small and the bigger ones are too pricey. Legend was the ideal in most ways for me.
Ron .

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm with you on the new car fever. I drove an RSX-S the other day and I must say, DAYAM, I miss having a stick. I had a Prelude before my Legend and I miss it sometimes.

So here's what I've driven, but not made a decision on:

1. The RSX-S is nice, fun, but a bit too small, so I passed.

2. Drove a red '98 M3, damn, that car is fast, damn that car can handle, damn that car is nice, damn damn damn..I let it slip away, it's no longer there. It was very very nice. $27K, 32K miles. Black leather, nice nice nice.

3. Thought about an IS300 stick. Don't know if I want to buy a Brand new car.

4. BMW 3 series. Haven't driven a 330 yet, drove a 325 and was not impressed with the power.

5. 1998 BMW 528. I'd have "engine" envy over the 540 stick,

6. Saw an ad for a 98 CLK 6 cylinder today for 28K. I might just go drive it.

Now my issues with getting another car.

1. I don't owe too much more on my car.

2. My car is modded out and everytime I wash/wax and clean the interior of the car, I fall in love again.

Sorry for the long post, but I am like you, I have this love/hate relationship with my car. I love it when it's all clean , but dislike it when I see newer models on the road and see stick shifts everywhere. I am totally missing a standard transmission.

#3 ·
Hey there, my sister lives in Fayetteville, just up the road from you.
I must confess I have never driven a BMW but the 3 series is too smallish, would love a 5 series coupe, but would be out of my price. I don't want too small, like a roadster at all. I guess I need to get out and drive a few. I drove a 02 CL recently and it was fast and boring, no character at all. I missed my Legend immediately.
All the cars I like the looks of are too much price. I used to like the Lexus coupes but they are heavy and getting dated. I Like the interiors of the Lexus a lot.
How could Honda have left us high and dry like this. I've driven Honda products for 10 years but the thrill and looks is gone in the new Hondas. May test drive an 03 CLS with 6speed but would be crazy to buy a new CL with it's eminent demise and terrible resale and rep the automatics are having.

#4 ·
I hear ya about the weight prob.

The legend doesn't corner nearly as well as prelude, but so much more to like. I wonder how everyone that lowered there g2coupe feels about handling, I mainly hear about ride comfort.The preludes ride was rough as Sh!t on bad roads, now I take the same roads and can go to sleep. The preludes ride was good for curing constipation.

#5 ·
I agree with you about the 'Lude and the Legend.

As far as new car goes, I just read Lexus is offering the new SC330 coupe in the spring. A coupe version of the SC430. I know the styling is controversial but I like it. They took a risk, so many cars look so alike, all the Hondas now. The SC is distinctive and I hope the SC330 is priced moderately, (probably not, I guess $40k). No one makes interiors like Lexus, maybe Audi.

G
#6 ·
The RSX is a fun little driver's car, but I really don't like the stylings. I have driven in a regular RSX that is my friends, but the RSX-S seems like a winner. I still think that I would rather have an Integra-R though if I could find one. So in the end everytime I think about getting a new different car I just realize that if I save up enough money I'll be able to convert my Automatic Legend to a 6 speed someday because it must be doable.

#8 ·
I own a 95 Legend Sedan SE Auto and a 91 Accord EX 5 speed. I love the looks and heft of my Legend, but the Accord outhandles it big time! My EX was the only Accord for that style (except maybe the SE) with an oversized front stabilizer bar and a rear stabilizer bar. For $2500 I can drop in a H22a VTEC motor, and another $1500 a Jackson Racing S/C (VTEC Prelude application). I have been thinking about selling my Legend. The Accord is an unexpected drag racer. I have driven the Sentra SE-R V spec, Altima 3.5 SE 5 speed, Maxima 6 speed, Celica GT-S, etc....and not one of those cars are worth what they want for them. I stand on dealership lots and look at everything they have to offer...nothing. The WRX? sweet ride, but it is a speed machine, no style. RS-X? What was wrong with the Integra? Why change the name? I have my future eye on the 350Z. That is a car with a soul. Shoot, all the good cars are gone. 300ZX TT, Supra TT, RX-7,
Legend 6 spd, Integra Type R, Integra GS-R sedan. Gone daddy gone the love is gone!

#9 ·
How does the G2 Legend NOT handle well when it got a faster MPH in the slalom than the CL-S, and only .1G less in the skidpad than the CL-S. It also took only 5 feet longer to stop from 60 than the CL-S. At least this is true for the TYPE II Coupes according to the magazine numbers and according to the numbers that were mentioned on the CL forums. I admit the perceived handling of the G2 Legend does not feel as tight as the G1, but push the car and you'd be suprised at its limits. In stock form, I've taken hair pin turns at 70MPH and LOTS of body roll, but the car held. I've taken the same roads in the Legend at the same speeds as my old Lowered Integra with no problems. Now again, the Legend doesn't feel as good doing it, but it still does it. I'd say that speaks pretty high of the Legends actual handling if it nearly equals the CL-S in the handling department despite the CL-S's firmer suspension and the body roll of the G2 Legend.

#10 ·
Before you speak of how the LEgend can't handle, I suggest you take your car on to an SCCA Autocross. Then come back and apologize for saying those bad things. TRUST ME! This car handles better than "REAL" sports cars - Corvette ZR1, Camaro, Firebird:rolleyes: . First people snickered cuz this guy's got a chromed out luxo-coupe on an autocross. Well, that luxo-coupe out performed those Type R's, Civic's , Prelude's and all of those American Sport Cars. Lower ET and NO cones!!

Ask xenonk...

#11 ·
ChrisK said:
How does the G2 Legend NOT handle well when it got a faster MPH in the slalom than the CL-S, and only .1G less in the skidpad than the CL-S. It also took only 5 feet longer to stop from 60 than the CL-S. At least this is true for the TYPE II Coupes according to the magazine numbers and according to the numbers that were mentioned on the CL forums. I admit the perceived handling of the G2 Legend does not feel as tight as the G1, but push the car and you'd be suprised at its limits. In stock form, I've taken hair pin turns at 70MPH and LOTS of body roll, but the car held. I've taken the same roads in the Legend at the same speeds as my old Lowered Integra with no problems. Now again, the Legend doesn't feel as good doing it, but it still does it. I'd say that speaks pretty high of the Legends actual handling if it nearly equals the CL-S in the handling department despite the CL-S's firmer suspension and the body roll of the G2 Legend.
Hey Chris, all these things you mention are for the type II coupe right. But the typeI sedan is a tad different, my sedan with stock suspensions feels so heavy when I turn at high speeds, and there's a ton of body roll. But it's still not bad, better than my friend's Buick LeSabre which felt like tipping over when it's turning at high speeds:rolleyes: I used to have a Maxima SE, now that car handled corners really well at high speeds.

#12 ·
I was in the same boat a couple years ago when I was debating on getting something newer. My car was completely stock with 15" rims and original struts with 120k on them. I decided to upgrade rims, tires, struts, and springs. All I can say is I now have no desire for another car. With the combination of the upgrades it feels like an entirely different car. It handles extremely well for a large sedan and even brakes faster now that it is lowered. I take off ramps and turns at high speeds I wouldn't have dared with the stock setup. Overall it was well worth the 2k in upgrades without having to spend the big bucks for a newer car.

#13 ·
Oh yeah, I know a Prelude, like the 88-91 does not generate big g's, but it feels like it does. The combination of steering ratio, short wheelbase and lack of body roll help to create a "go-kart like" feel in traffic. And my Honda Accord EX shares its underpinnings with the 92-96 Prelude. However, my Legend has H&R springs and 17's with 225 45 17 Nittos, and it can generate high g's, but it takes too much effort in town to do it. My Accord will whip around a right hand turn at 35mph just by turning the steering wheel less than a half turn, and it stays in the curbside lane. My Legend takes considerably more input to do this, and you have to spin the wheel back at a faster rate to get the car straight again. When I am on the freeways here, I can take big sweepers at Mach 1 in my Legend, the stability of the car and springs and the grip of my Nitto's are awesome. Just as long as I dont have to crank on the steering wheel, Legends do generate alot of grip. ChrisK, did you say a Legend had .1 g less grip than a CL? Did you mean .01? Because .1 is alot! That is the difference between a boat and a sporty car!

#14 ·
WhiteLegend said:

Hey Chris, all these things you mention are for the type II coupe right. But the typeI sedan is a tad different, my sedan with stock suspensions feels so heavy when I turn at high speeds, and there's a ton of body roll. But it's still not bad, better than my friend's Buick LeSabre which felt like tipping over when it's turning at high speeds:rolleyes: I used to have a Maxima SE, now that car handled corners really well at high speeds.
Being the owner of a 91 sedan, and a 93 coupe 6 speed, I have this to say....

I miss the ride of my sedan:(
It is in my honest opinion that the coupe does not handle as nice as the legend sedan does. The sedan feels so much smoother on corners, and the ride is straight as an arrow. I feel with the coupe, I feel to much of the road. Every bump or seem I go over in the road seems to be transfered into my steering wheel. Maybe its just low tire pressure:rolleyes: , but I can say that I do miss driving my sedan dearly.

However, the coupe is a six speed so I will shut my mouth now, very fun to drive and almost deadly fast;)

#15 ·
Mckenzie91 said:

It is in my honest opinion that the coupe does not handle as nice as the legend sedan does. The sedan feels so much smoother on corners, and the ride is straight as an arrow. I feel with the coupe, I feel to much of the road. Every bump or seem I go over in the road seems to be transfered into my steering wheel. Maybe its just low tire pressure:rolleyes: , but I can say that I do miss driving my sedan dearly.

However, the coupe is a six speed so I will shut my mouth now, very fun to drive and almost deadly fast;)
I dunno, my car is lowered 2", and I still find it more fun to drive than the sedan. Type II or not, the sedan is stately, quick, but the coupe handles better IMO...biased? Not sure, but for classy outings, take the sedan, for fun the coupe

#16 ·
I have to sell the sedan as I blew my brains out buying the six speed..... My dad, who has a 92 sedan, wont even talk to me because I think he is jealous over my car (He has not phoned me since I emailed him pics of the coupe!)I am actually going to take the coupe in and get the front end checked out to see if it is all alligned properly. It seems to have a slight oversteer left. It could be low tire pressure as well, becasue when I went in for an oil change, I think he set the PSI at 32, but to me that seems a little bit low. I think I still have to give the coupe a chance though, as the roads here are nasty wet and icy, so I dont really want to push it.

Also, will bigger wheels give a harsher ride.... I have 16" Chrome GS wheels..?

#17 ·
My suggestion is to remod your legend.

My legend handles like crazy. I got koni's eibach springs and just installed my prelude strut bar. Man does it handle.

THe strut bar is amazing. It really helps so much. I have fallen in love with my car again.

Legends are amazing handling cars with the right mods.

Now I am hooked. I am thinking about making a custom rear strut bar.

#18 ·
I agree with that.....

Lets say that you are going to spend an extra $5000-$10 000
on top of what you can get for your legend for a new rig..

Just imagine how much you could do to your legend with that kind of bucks... Get a full port'n'polish done on the engine, get some of those headers that are coming in, rebuild the engine with some new interenals, stregthen the tranny, upgrade your suspension with the best suspension parts money can buy, some new wheels and tires.... you would have the craziest legend around,...... Hell, you could get a custom made turbo charger for $5000-$7000. I would go that route because you already know what has been done to your car... you know the handling characteristics already, and you dont have to go through the hassles of finding a new car..

#19 ·
Thanks for the ideas. I guess I'm really ready for somethig new and esp a shifter, (I still miss my G1 coupe 5-Speed). The 03 CL-S I drove today has that and all the rest. It doesn't have the Legend appeal or feel but it's not bad, the shifter and engine were great. For me it's getting down to a 95 LS Legend Coupe 6 speed with low miles (uh huh, right), or a 2003 CL-S with the 6 speed, no miles.
I think the 6 speed CLS will become a sought after car, they are only making 6,000 I read. I know Legenders are bored with the CL but it's the next best thing I think to that red 95 LS Legend Coupe with 6 on the floor and 30k miles, dreamin' again. But I can't keep comparing everything to the Legend, that's why it is named Legend, nothing lives up to it!

#20 ·
WhiteLegend said:

You are right, it is numbers for the GS Sedan and TYPE II Coupes. The GS Sedan uses the Coupes suspension as you know, so thus the similarities.

#21 ·
Mckenzie91 said:

Ride in a 94-95 GS Sedan and it will feel similar to the Coupe. The reason is because the GS Sedan uses the same suspension as the Coupes, as well as the same 16" rims. To tell you the truth, I believe it is the tires that make the biggest difference. When I use 215/50 tires on my car, it was much smoother than my 215/45 tires. Likewise when my friend puts on his stock 15's with 60 series tires, it feels much smoother than when he puts on my LS Coupe 16' rims with 55 series tires.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.