Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Life Ruiner
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
10hr drive down south this sun/mon proved to be a bit more difficult than thought, but i did it anyway, and got exposure for all Legends. crowds of people flocked to see what type of car i had on the trailor under the cover. Not many people new it was a Legend, not many knew what a Legend was. Lots knew me from Racing up at SAC and Sears.

I trailored the Legend and my spare Engine to a Custom shop where headers were going to be planned and fabricated.

The engine was dropped off and the Legend was carefully looked at, inspected, and mesured. What did the Tuner say?

Well he said Legend's ARE a B!tch!

Well not in so many words, but close enough. The amount of space between the shock tower and manifolds and comming off the manifolds is all pretty cramped.

So in other words a set of long tube headers(optimal) cant be made with ease of installation, hindering OPTIMAL performance which he indicated was 40+to the wheels no question about it.

Unless people want to remove there heads or pullout the engine or remove all nessassary parts from under the car till they fit in then the set of LONG TUBE HEADERS can be made and 40+WHP can be achived.

For now since im assuming everyone buying headers doesnt want to pay upwards of another 500 for installation-he said they can try and build SHORTY headers which arent OPTIMAL but are a whole hell of a lot better than stock, and will be a lot easier to install. REMEBER Any headers for Horizontally mounted engines, especially imports are a pain to install. he speculated anywhere from 20-30WHP but couldnt be certain.

when looking at both The TYPE I and II Exhaust manifolds he called them a disgrace. They are small and inefficient peices of metal. the exit hole on the manifold which exits spent exhaust fumes is 1/2 inch smaller in diameter than his performance headers for a B16(1.6 liter Honda engine)!

The legends engine is a 3.2 twice the size of a 1.6. So you can understand why the manifold are such crap. He said no doubt that some/any modification to the exhaust manifold would be a huge improvement over stock.

The process has been started, i had hoped for sooner development, like a proto type within a week or two, but the TUNER had no idea what he was up against until he saw what a Legend was made up of.

The project Legend header continues its going to be four weeks before i get any feedback from the tuner.

Im still in for the haul, unless the Tuner dosnt want to anymore,which means i got to go all the way back and pick up my cherry TYPEII spare engine and full exhaust system, I guess we play the waiting game and see what he can come up with.

All questions and comments encouraged

~Hybrid

·
*r**h *eller
1,920 Posts
I knew it was going to be a "shorty" application. No other way to do it unless you at least pull off the the heads like you said.

Good luck.

·
Junior Mint
629 Posts
Yeah, it's not hard to tell that even taking off the stock manifolds is going to be a tough job.

The Comptech V6 headers are a shorty design, so 20 WHP isn't unrealistic.

Keep us updated.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Thanks DV8...Thats awesome that you are working so hard on this, driving so far to accomplish it...Thanks.

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
DV8, you aid he commented on the small exaust manifold port size being smaller than his performance B16 1.6L engine. If you think about it though we are displacing approx the same amount of air as the 1.6L per side. 1.6Lx2 is 3.2L. We have 2 exaust manifods each allowing flow to displace 1.6L of air. So the factory size is probably not all THAT bad for the application.

·
Life Ruiner
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
NickD said:
DV8, you aid he commented on the small exaust manifold port size being smaller than his performance B16 1.6L engine. If you think about it though we are displacing approx the same amount of air as the 1.6L per side. 1.6Lx2 is 3.2L. We have 2 exaust manifods each allowing flow to displace 1.6L of air. So the factory size is probably not all THAT bad for the application.
Thanks all the supports is great.
Im glad to hear supports strong.

Nick d, your right each side is displacing about 1.6 liters, but each manifold has an exit hole that is 1/2 inch smaller in diamter compared to his performance B16 ones that 1/2 inch bigger in just one manifold. Now think that he said he would probably make the manifold exit hole on the legend even biggerthan that 1/2 inch-something to do with the stroke differnces.
If you think about it our stock e. manifold exit hole is about the same size as a 1.6 liter per side, however the strokes not the same. Bottom line were still lacking 1/2 in in diameter perside witch i huge if you think about it, not to mention indepentet pipes for each cyillnder will stop exhaust fumes from being swallowed back up. and above all will dissapate heat beter for all us NOS freaks.

~Hybrid

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Nice work, DV8. Good to hear you are going to such lengths for the sake of performance on a car that has dick for aftermarket. Definitely shows true motivation and love for your car. :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Great work, DV8! You're doing it the right way for sure. Things are tight in the Legend engine compartment. Does your friend use anti-reversion technology? Is he proposing headers or a complete exhaust system?

Good luck on the project!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts