Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would it be worth it to have a shop fabricate a custom set of gears for my Type I with a different ratio? I really really want a little more torque and off the line.

Ideas?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
If u can do it, go for it:cool:

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doesnt sound like you had much faith in that....
:)

Just curious? SOmething impossible bout it I dont know

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I said that cuz no-ones tried it, but if u gots the money and the resources i'd say go for it, u just might be the one that puts out something new

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
why do you wana do that we already have a 3.23 grear thats what most people get anyways but whatever u wana do. I mean are you looking for a 1/4 car or top end?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I dont know much about it, just heard it makes a big difference. Id say more 1/4

Id be happy if I lost some top speed for more off the line. I rarely drive on the highway. Any idea what it would cost to have a set of 3.55's made? What all would it do speedwise to the car?

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
i'd say thats best left to some machine shop....hmmm i think Holly can make specialized gears....try Hollycams.com

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SO in general, what do they affect? I know they cant change HP, but will it give me more off the line, by sacrificing what? Top speed? Losing accel over 100MPH? That just what I am wondering. They are supposed to make a huge difference in low end if done right.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
If u change your gear ratio on 1st gear i believe you'll see improvement on low end, i think it would be worth trying if the money is there to invest.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can you change just one gear?

·
Registered
358 Posts
This is actually a very good subject. A lot of the NSX guys have played around with Japanese short gears and the works. Basically, you make your gears shorter in order to get your car moving a lot quicker. For those of you who have sticks, you will notice 1st gear is pretty quick to go....2nd gear can bog a little until you hit around 4500rpms...etc...

The whole point of short gears is to keep the gearing within the best power band, but in the long run, you sacrifice gas mileage as well as top speed. For instance, if your cruising at 80mph, which I believe for my 5-speed, I'm around 3k RPM's in 5th gear...with short gears you could be around 4k-4500 RPM's. Technically short gears on our cars would kinda suck just because our redline comes up so quickly. To cure that though, you could keep the 5th gear in our cars for a cruise gear and change the other four gears.

It's up to you, but I think personally it wouldn't be worth it because you will eat through gas and puts a lot of strain on our engines.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have an auto, so Id have 4 gears to play with. What would it be like to short 1st,2nd,and 3rd, and keep 4th tall for highway runs, since our 3rd gear is just MEAN when it goes, would it make up and be more of an average acceleration w.o losing so much high end? I REALLY want to get off the line fast. I hate having to catch up..... to a civic with a manual... ;)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh yeah the gas thing is of no concern to me. I can afford that...
My legend isnt my daily driver

·
Registered
358 Posts
It's up to you...with money...anything is possible. I think any reputable speed shop should be able to make you an auto tranny to suit your needs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts