Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

I just bought an 89 Legend Coupé L with about 108k miles. It's a 5 speed, runs fine and is very nice. I would like to change all the fluids soon. What do tou think about the following?

Mobil 1 15w40 synhtetic for the engine
Redline MTL for the transmission
Mobil 1 synthetic ATF for the power steering. I know that Honda recommends their own fluid for the latter, but is there any specific reason why the Mobil 1 wouldn't work? Any thoughts?

Thanks and great site, by the way!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Hello, and welcome to the board. Congrats on your new purchase.

I would suggest using 5W-30 for the engine. Some would argue that it would not be advantageous to use synthetic, but that is not something that I am particularly knowledgeable about. Someone around here should be able to tell you why. I use Valvoline Synthetic Blend. Redline MTL sounds like a good idea for the tranny, many around here use it. As for the PSF, I would not recommend anything besides Honda PSF. Something to do with corrosion, I think.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I agree - use only Honda/Acura power steering fluid.

As far as synthetic oil for engine, in a high mileage car it may lead to oil leaks because synthetics tend to having a cleaning effect and washes away crud that may have sealed up spots that would otherwise be leaking. If you switch and develop leaks, switching back to dino will not cause the leaks to go away.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Thanks guys for the prompt reply. Wow!
I am a true believer in synthetics, as you may have noticed :). I have always used them in all my cars. As a matter of fact, I have a bimmer (85 528e) with a bit less mileage ( 80k) in which I have started to use Mobil 1 at 75K. I am thinking about using the thicker synthetic (15w40) to minimise the risk of leaks.
Furthermore, I have read that these engines are prone to valve ticking - which I don't know yet if I have, not having had a morning start yet! The synthetic would probably help here, I guess...
I am going to get that Honda PSF ASAP, because it's below the minimum now!

Thanks again, and sorry for the long post!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Using thinner oil would help your ticking lifters more than the synthetic would. And I am pretty sure using a thicker oil would not do very much to help prevent leaks. I wrote some stuff on this topic in my FAQ (see my sig for a link).

·
Registered
160 Posts
From personal experience, pure synthetics caused me more grief because of leaks which developed afterwards- but it flows in our winters!! I have compromised with semi-synthetics but the leaks remain. I'll have to do something about that this summer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just topped up the power steering reservoir with Honda PSF. I'll keep monitoring it to make sure it's not leaking.

Thank God, I have no valve ticking so far. The PO took good care of oil changes (documented).

Bob B, at what mileage did you start using the synthetic oil? Which brand and weight? What kind of problems have developped? Leaks, I guess?

·
Registered
160 Posts
I filled up with synthetics, 5w30, three winters ago at about 200,000 km. That was the mistake and at that time i did not know about this forum. The leaks are primarily gaskets, upper gaskets and around the pcv cover. I still use 5w30 exclusively.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts