Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question on coolant

How often are you supposed to flush the radiator?

What is wrong with just adding coolant, and not water?

Is there anything wrong with filling the coolant more than the max of the reservoir? (The only thing i think of is air pressure)

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
To my knowledge;

For our cars, maybe a Flush every year or so, not sure what the actual spec on it is, but that's what we try to do in our family, specifically after the bad head gasket case.

Coolant has very different properties from water. Water freezes sooner, and boils faster, coolant has more tolerance. So when you add more water without coolant, you're throwing off the mixture of coolant.

There's nothing really wrong with feeling it more than max, but I dont' recommend it, I believe sometimes if the car overheats, it throws water INTO the resevoir, so if it's too full that can be a problem, I say keep it a little below the max.

·
Banned
3,371 Posts
FutureX 2001 said:
To my knowledge;

For our cars, maybe a Flush every year or so, not sure what the actual spec on it is, but that's what we try to do in our family, specifically after the bad head gasket case.

Coolant has very different properties from water. Water freezes sooner, and boils faster, coolant has more tolerance. So when you add more water without coolant, you're throwing off the mixture of coolant.

There's nothing really wrong with feeling it more than max, but I dont' recommend it, I believe sometimes if the car overheats, it throws water INTO the resevoir, so if it's too full that can be a problem, I say keep it a little below the max.
:werd: what he said.

·
Banned
618 Posts
mischief4l said:
Question on coolant

Is there anything wrong with filling the coolant more than the max of the reservoir? (The only thing i think of is air pressure)
I have the same car as yours bro, 1994 Legend Sedan LS! sweet i'm at 121,00 miles. I'll be doing a tune up for the car pretty soon.

NOt sure where to go, striaght to the dealer or like firestone or something.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
mischief4l said:
Question on coolant

The Helm states coolant change every 36 months/45,000 miles. Every 24/30,000 would be better given the Legend head-gasket problem.

As the coolant - H20 ratio increases the boiling point increases and the freezing point lowers, until the coolant is at 64 percent. A 50/50 mix will give you -34 degree freezing point and 266 degree boiling point. At 64 percent, the freezing point is -84. More than 64 percent of coolant to H20 will have an opposite effect and the freeze point will gradually go back up to -9 degrees. It is easiest to measure a 50/50 mix than a 64/36 and for most applications, that temp range is well within normal limits. (Info from Automotive Engines, 7th ed. [1986] W.H. Crouse & D.L. Anglin, page 110.) Go to your library and find a more current edition. Useful info.

As the coolant heats it expands that is why you have a reservoir. Overfilling the reservoir will just end up with heated coolant being discharged (on some vehicles there is a discharge hose) or damaging the overfilled reservoir.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.