Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just got a hand me down from my brother, a 1994 acura legend LS at 192,000 miles. He did a lot of work to it before I got it. Before it was overheating, speedodometer jumping, and reving by itself on startup and idleing. Now it seems new for the past 2000 miles I have drivin it. The only thing is when I first got it, I had some white smoke coming from the exhaust. Search on the forum, possiblly the head gasket, but know it has done that for the past 500 miles.

I had some question on oil and coolant. First, I have been searching the forums for about 2 weeks now about which oil I should use in it. But also every post has something differnt to say. I live in orlando florida, so the temp never drops below 50 F, and normally not over 100 F. Right now this is my understanding, let me know if I am wrong.

In the rating, like 10W 30, the first # is the cold weight of the oil, then second # is the weight it is when heated up. Since I have a lot of miles on my engine, I should use i higher first rating, like 10W or 15W. Since I am in the heat pretty much, i should use a second rating of 40. The only leak i see is minor, the oil drain plug.

I have been using the cheapest oil at auto zone for my old car (91 volvo), cause I didnt think it really matter much. But since this is a performance car, i am starting to take care of what I put into it. I dont want anything to expensive. Just enough for preventivtive maintence. So, Does brand matter?

So my question is, which rating and what brand and how many miles should I change?

·
Registered
9,142 Posts
Personally I would run Mobil1 5w-30. There are some concerns about switching to a synthetic on a high milage motor, but I have sucessfully done it many times. That is about the most expensive option out there, but I find it worth the extra money. I am sure there are many on here that have been just as sucessful with regular oil. Hopefully they will post up a more cost effective option. I would run a 5w-30 because you are in a warmer climate and that is what is recomended for the motor in the owners manual.
Later!
Lee

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
any others?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
10W-30 is ok for your climate most of the time, as long as you don't drive it in real winter conditions....like in the north!...and it does get colder than 50F in Orlando...although not often. The 5W-30 is a year round blend that is recommended for this car. The two numbers you see are the rating for that particular oil...the oil rating with the "W" or winter rating is determined at a predetermined low temp. (freeze point). It will have the viscosity index (or pour/flow characteristics of that weight of oil...in these cases a 10 weight or 5 weight). The lower the number the thinner the oil is....the second number is what the oil pours/flows like when at normal operating temps or in these cases, 30 weight oil. These is acheived by putting in viscosity modifiers to the oil, which literally expand and make the oil more viscous as it gets hotter/ This way you can run the same oil in varying temperatures and not damage the engine at startup, where most wear occurs. At startup you want thin oil, so parts can get lubed immediately.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I went to discount auto, and ask a guy that works on hondas. He said I should get at 10w - 40 high mileage oil, so I ended up picking up Quaker State High Mileage oil and a Purolator Filter. Has anybody have any reviews of this oil. He also told me the second # is the original weight, and the 10 is the warmed up weight, like it gets lighter when heated

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
to be quite honest, I view "high mileage" oils as a marketing oil because a good oil will be sufficient for a car like the legend. I do not see what makes "high mileage" oil any better than "regular" oil. Marketing gimmick to me...

I personally use 5w-30. I live in southern cali where the temperature is usually 70-75 degrees.

Right now, I am running Royal Purple synthetic oil (switched at 146,000). I do a lot of stop and go driving so it's important for me to get the best protection possible. My car now has 147,000 miles

·
Victory is fleeting...
5,414 Posts
Mobil 1 on their website basically say the same thing as you, GSteg. In the FAQ section, they get asked about "high-mileage" formulations and they say that their synthetic oil is good for all applications. Other forums engage in this debate as well, and I think I agree that high-mileage is indeed a gimmick. These formulations only recently came out, so how did high-mileage engines cope in the 80's and 90's?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
synthetic oil is really good, but originally the poster wanted a low cost oil that did the job well....and syn. is double the price (at least). Multi-weight oils are as I described...The low number is the winter rating, not the heated up rating. They range from the W or winter rating to the 2nd number or straight weight fully heated oil...we were talking about 5W-30. As far as high mileage oils, they seem to have a benefit under certain conditions. Valve seals shrinking over time are a major cause of oil useage and poor appearance of burning oil and showing blue smoke especially at startup or at long idle. These high mileage oils have a conditioner (among other additives) for the seals, to reduce oil use by swelling the seals a bit. I have seen it work in some cases, especially when you have a car with LOW mileage and an older model year where the seals are NOT WORN but just shrink from being dry and not used (in addition to the older high mileage engines). Their cost is only about .25 more a quart, so it may be worth trying a few time to see if it helps. They also increase the amount of zinc, which is a protectorant and lubricant for bearings. With these kinds of lubrication improvement it is not unusual to see cars running without burning oil at 150K-250L miles....the old days were lucky to see cars hit 100K before needing overhauled engines. I remember the old days....I was alive way back then !!!!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
fun reading

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/all/misc/all_oilfaq.html

http://www.amsoil.com/frequent.htm

I switched my Legend to 10 w 30 synthetic, no problems. Car has 182000 miles on it. I will change the oil every 10k miles and the filter every 5 k miles. I will do analysis on the oil every 20k miles but from my past results on my other cars Amsoil oil hold up very well and the the test results prove I can use it to 15k miles if I want to. It takes time and research to prove to yourself that this is possible. Also Mobil1 syn is only good for 5 k miles. A lot of research and debates are on the web just research synthetic oil.

·
Victory is fleeting...
5,414 Posts
bigdad said:
With these kinds of lubrication improvement it is not unusual to see cars running without burning oil at 150K-250L miles....the old days were lucky to see cars hit 100K before needing overhauled engines. I remember the old days....I was alive way back then !!!!!
Yeah, but Hondas (and Acuras) are more prevalent nowadays... :D

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
If you read the BITOG pages, you'd have run across Auto-RX. That stuff is ideal for guys who pick up an older car and want to try and get the engine back in a clean condition. No matter what additives you put in or how many times you change your oil or what oil you use, the gunk inside the engine is not going to help until you get the sediments and garbage out. Auto RX does that.

I've used the stuff and it's salvaged my rack end seals, stopped oil consumption/leakage and made my tranny shift so quick now. check out www.rms13.com

Regard it as a "cleaner" and afterwards you don't need it anymore when you bring your engine back to a new condition clean

In your case, running a quality regular 10W-30 oil is all you need unless you plan to do a lot of redlining and then a synthetic would be recommended.

The ideal oil for Hondas is the Castrol OW-30 Syntec. The OW-30, not the 5W or 10W. Shown to consistently have the lowest wear numbers time and time again in heat and in cold.

·
Registered
9,142 Posts
fender4 said:
fun reading

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/all/misc/all_oilfaq.html

http://www.amsoil.com/frequent.htm

I switched my Legend to 10 w 30 synthetic, no problems. Car has 182000 miles on it. I will change the oil every 10k miles and the filter every 5 k miles. I will do analysis on the oil every 20k miles but from my past results on my other cars Amsoil oil hold up very well and the the test results prove I can use it to 15k miles if I want to. It takes time and research to prove to yourself that this is possible. Also Mobil1 syn is only good for 5 k miles. A lot of research and debates are on the web just research synthetic oil.
I run Mobil1 on my mothers 300M and it can last 6-8K between changes. I still get nervous about going 6k between an oil change.
Later!
Lee

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So since I have a higher mileage engine, how many miles should I change the oil. I mostly just drive back and fourth from school, so the engine rarely every goes over 3000 rpm

·
Registered
117 Posts
mischief4l said:
So since I have a higher mileage engine, how many miles should I change the oil. I mostly just drive back and fourth from school, so the engine rarely every goes over 3000 rpm
To know exactly what condition your engine is in and how it reacts to your driving style a oil analysis has to be done. But if you use petrol oil change every 3k with filter. This is what most people do that want to be safe with out knowing. Or with synthetic, mobil1 or redline change every 5k but don't go more than six months on the filter. Filters are different, mobil1, Amsoil and some purolaters have tested well. If you use Amsoil you can go 10k miles easliy,, but still change the filter every 5k. Much private testing and at Amsoil has proved that their oil holds up very well for extended drain intervals. Amsoil promotes this and use tests to back it up. They are now the 3rd largest retailer of synthetic oil. Yes I sell it so I can buy it wholesale,, I still have a real job,, also I read every research paper I can find. :p

·
Banned
618 Posts
I live in southern california as well, with these weather conditions, as well as upcoming (winter) with about 121,654 miles. Could i just stay with a 10w-30, and change the oil and filter every 3k miles? for the rest of legend life?

or is there a certain mileage, that i would have to slowly chagne the oil and etc.

·
Banned
618 Posts
to be honest. i'm really afraid of touching, modifiying, anything in the engine compartment! i would just leave it to the "professionals" to touch my car. I'm insecure cuz my knowledge is no good :(

Can You BLaMe me? :giggle:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Changing the oil + filter every 3 k is ok for any car, better would be to use Mobil1 every 3k. There is new tech with synthetics that makes sense, ie removes heat better, and doesn't gunk up.
Right now it's like going from audieo tapes to CDs. They are better but some just don't hear it.
My car had 179k when I bought it, at the dealer it had the petro oil changed every 4-5k and still looks very good inside. I switched over to Amsoil 10w30 and will do a lab analysis after 10k miles. Cost is important to me but not the first thing I think about. Trying to prove to myself using basic science is just a fun experiment that I do on my cars.

·
Banned
618 Posts
fender4 said:
Changing the oil + filter every 3 k is ok for any car, better would be to use Mobil1 every 3k. There is new tech with synthetics that makes sense, ie removes heat better, and doesn't gunk up.
Right now it's like going from audieo tapes to CDs.
My car had 179k when I bought it, at the dealer it had the petro oil changed every 4-5k and still looks very good inside. I switched over to Amsoil 10w30 and will do a lab analysis after 10k miles. Cost is important to me but not the first thing I think about.
Once i switch over to synthetic mobil 1 oil, if i ever go back to standard would that be ok?
Would that be synthetic mobil 1 5w-30 or 10w-30?
Would the oil change calculation still be the same with the synethic mobil 1 oil? (i.e. every 3k mile + filter )???
and that synethic mobil 1 oil is good for all seasons right? :bowdown:

Thanks !

·
Registered
117 Posts
phan_nam420 said:
Once i switch over to synthetic mobil 1 oil, if i ever go back to standard would that be ok?
Would that be synthetic mobil 1 5w-30 or 10w-30?
Would the oil change calculation still be the same with the synethic mobil 1 oil? (i.e. every 3k mile + filter )???
and that synethic mobil 1 oil is good for all seasons right? :bowdown:

Thanks !
with mobli1 use 10w30 all year,, change every 4 to 5 k miles but the filter every 6 months, not to exceed 5 k miles on the filter,,, just remembered amsoil doesn't make a filter for the legend so us a mobil1. as always check your oil level at least once a month. :D :D still think you would like amsoil better but mobil1 is ok.

·
Banned
618 Posts
Ok, Mobil 1 / Amsoil Synthetic 10w-30 every 3500k miles or 6 months which ever comes first.

And the oil filter. I'll just go to autozone and get a standard "FRAM" orange filter?

Or does mobil 1 make one for the legend?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.