Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where should I get my car painted when I get enough money? Should I get it at a nation wide shop like Earl Scheib or Macco? Or should i find a good local shop? Anyone with experience in gettting a new paint job? Any comments on any of the companies?

·
*r**h *eller
1,920 Posts
National chains tend to do volume work and therefore omit many of the fine details required for a first class paint job. They can do first class work just like any other shop but you have to shop carefully.

I'd suggest hitting up local car shows (of all types, not just imports) and when you see a paint job you like, ask who did it. Also check your phone book under auto customizing.

I myself would use a small local shop who will take the time to do it right.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
like most things, you have to make your own judgement based on their work example...visit several shops for estimates, telling them what you expect...then ask to see cars that they have just finished and are being delivered back to customers...they are sure to have some on site....
look for proper blending of color into surrounding panels, smoothness of finish (any runs, orange peel, or wavy spots), does the color match the rest of the car, is the trim contaminated with paint (improperly taped off) or are edges rough.
A good paint job takes proper prep and a good paint booth with an experienced painter to deliver a quality job...and it won't come for $129.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Well...

Im going to say $1000+ for a good/decent paint job. A friend of mine got the $950 Earl Sheib paint job for only $550 on his Legend Coupe and it looks VERY professional. No orange peel or runs and they even did some body work and sanding. Make sure you shop around and see some example works!

The Maacos around my area are absolute CRAP... I saw a Probe that got their $500 package and they painted right over the pinstripes and part of a fog light!

·
Registered
760 Posts
my dad got his El Camino painted about 2 years ago and paid (i think) like $5000 for it. he told me this:

before you get ANYTHING done research the company! not only through pictures but also through phyical contact with previous customers.

im sure nationwide companies will do a decent job... but if you want a near-factory quality you better go with a local shop IMO.

-brandon

1 - 6 of 6 Posts