Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well they went on easy enough, and I tried to seat the pads/rotors per the instructions on Brembo's website, but....the brakes have a shudder to them when braking lightly. it almost feels like the brakes grab, let go, grab, let go, grab, etc... I feel it both in the brake pedal and the steering wheel. I am assuming this is normal due to the slotted/drilled nature of the rotors. however, if I use medium to heavy braking, no shudder at all..this is weird. Oh, and the lugs are torqued to 80lbs.

I have Brembo dimpled/slotted rotors and PBR Metal Master pads. And you all were right about the warm up period. I almost have no brakes when they are cold...whew..that will take some getting used to....

Is this what I'm supposed to feel or is something wrong?

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
I have the Brembo with EBC pads and it takes absolutely no warm up time at all. Anyway, I do not have any viabration at all. It is not the nature of the drilled/slotted/dimpled rotor to have a slight viabration. There is something wrong.

·
GS Hog
7,026 Posts
I too have the dimple drilled rotors, and like Chris, am using EBC Greenstuff pads. No warm up time, no vibration, no noise.

It MAY be the pads, but I can't say for sure.

The other thing that may be affecting it is the fact that Wood's rotors are plated, and the plating may need to be worn through for the pads to grab properly/evenly.

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
LegendGS said:

The other thing that may be affecting it is the fact that Wood's rotors are plated, and the plating may need to be worn through for the pads to grab properly/evenly.
Maybe, but mine were plated as well, and it too about 2-3 weekd before they fully wore off the rotor pad surface, but I still never had any viabration problems. New rotors and pads should feel as smooth as glass.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm beginning to wonder if something is wrong then. I knew I needed warm up time per everone else's posts, but not sure why the vibration. And it's funny because it only happens under light braking, but under heavy braking there is no vibration at all. I'm not entirely sure what I should do at this point, leave it or take it out. The reason i changed my rotors in the first place was because my rotors were so badly warped.

·
*r**h *eller
1,920 Posts
Hmmm. Only under light braking? Did you lube up your guide pins when you did the pads? How did you retract the pistons? It almost sounds like the caliper is binding up.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Sushilicious...I had the same problem you described after I installed the dimpled rotors with Axxis Metal Master pads. Basically I did one hard braking stop with a pretty firm press of the brake pedal...after that the shudder went away. I think it's just the pads breaking in to the rotor.

I remember when the plated stuff burnt off my rotor, I was lightly braking down hill and I saw steam rise from both from wheels, lol, was quite the sight to see.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Sushi, I have the cross drilled and sloted rotors and PBR pads from Wood. I too have a warm up period, it's kinda scary actually. In cold mornings on my first stop, I get almost no brakes at all. The car just slides. I think it's normal for metal master brakes.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dave: Yes to both questions. Today, I'm driving and the shake seems to be diminishing. This is very curious. I'll keep an eye on it and see if it goes away completely.

I have learned that I'm too terribly fond of the warmup period for the pads...no more PB MetalMaster pads in the future.

Thanks for all your help guys.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well after driving for over 300 miles on my new rotors, they are smooth as silk :D. I guess it must have been the burrs on the rotors because, it's amazing how smooth it is now :D. Maybe I'll do the EBC pads next time. But I am quite impressed so far, very little dust if any with the MM pads.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts