Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey whats up. I just joined the site and hope my legend will turn out like most of the ones i've seen up here. I got my legend earlier this year. It's an 86. I paid $500 for it and have slowly been working on it. Ever since i've had it, its put me through some frustration but it'll be worth it when I'm done. I have a fuel problem though. I have a pgm-fi light that comes on a couple of minutes after I go down the road. I've checked my fuel injectors, replaced all o-rings, replaced 2 injectors, and a injector connector. I checked the computer and i have a red light that blinks 12 times without stopping( i'm guessing thats a code12). I looked up the codes off another site and it said code 12 was egr system. Can that cause a fuel problem that i'm describing and can someone point me in some direction on what to check or replace. Also I have a orange light that stays on and won't go out on the computer. I couldn't find out what code that was. I was told the orange was tranny codes but I couldn't find out what it was.Thanks and peace

· Registered
638 Posts
before you start investing alot of money in a 500$ cars engine i suggest you go get a compression gauge from walmart or somthing, or even better take it in for a leak down test at a shop. that way you'll know how worthy of your time and money that engine is. It should cost your less than 100$ and give you some peace of mind. If it did turn out to have any expensive engine problems you could start investing in a JDM engine instead of paying for costly repairs.

as for the EGR valve, with the engine cold and running use a vacuume or suck on hose #5 from the EGR valve, the engine should run rough when you do this.

for the EGR control system detach the #5 hose from the 3-way joint with the engine running at operating tempeture (after the fan kicks on) there should be suction from the hose.

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I've already done a compression test. All my cylinders were good. I tried disconnecting hose 5 at cold start and it had hesitation. Then disconnected hose 5 at the 3way when it warmed up. At first it didnt want to suck so i sprayed a small amount of intake cleaner into the line and it started sucking. Then when i connected the hose again it tried to shut off but recovered.

· Registered
2,038 Posts
welcome!
the orange light on the ecu remains on means you have to adjust the screw that controls air flow @ idle.

i'm not sure if that applies to 86-88 models i know this applies to 89-90's

odds are the throttle body is dirty??

not to sound rude but you did'nt describe a fuel problem.
i made my engine throw a code by disconnecting the vacuum line going to the egr.
while the engine was cold and a drove down the road the check engine light came on.

so i say replace the egr and adjust the screw(if it applies to your model)and see what happens...

· Spiral descent
5,040 Posts
2.7 Legend is right. The orange light (I believe it's yellow) means you need to adjust your idle speed. It's easy, but I don't remember the details. Do a search. On '86-'87 sedans there was no tranny computer, so don't worry about that.

Oh, and since you have an '86, don't forget to represent yourself at this link. :)

http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=73611

· Registered
2,038 Posts
but wait.....there was a mamber here who said there s light was flashing.....
and he/she had 86-88 model.....

the screw for this...if your t/b is the same as the 2.7
is located (when your facing the t/b) on your right top corner.
i say adjsut it till the light goes out...but turn it a little every 30seconds till the light goes out.

· because i can.
10,426 Posts
The Yellow LED indicates that the idle speed must be adjusted...

If its blinking, turn the idle screw a 1/4 turn clockwise and wait 30 seconds...check the LED...if its still blinking do another clockwise 1/4 turn, wait 30 seconds...continue until LED goes off...

If the LED is solid, turn the idle adjustment screw a 1/4 turn counter clockwise, wait 30 seconds, check LED...if its still lit repeat process until the LED goes off...this is the same for all Legends 86-90

· Registered
4,259 Posts
In self diagnostic test, PGM-FI indicator comes on for a few seconds then it should go off... if it stays lit, the ECU detects fault in self test mode, you will need to check on the fuel system (which you have) and also the igniter unit.

Code 12; Check EGR systems and purge controls which are located within the control box on the firewall, these components includes; EGR control solenoid valve, CVC valve and air chamber (if used), as well as the purge cut-off solenoid valve... and yes, this can contribute to your fuel problem.

Address yellow LED issue as others suggested, hope this helps, good luck!

· Spiral descent
5,040 Posts
2.7legend said:
but wait.....there was a mamber here who said there s light was flashing.....
and he/she had 86-88 model.....
It could have been an '87 coupe or '88 sedan or coupe then. Starting with the '87 coupe is when they changed a lot of things; airbag, abs, tranny computer, security, interior mods, exterior mods, and of course the 2.7 L engine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.