Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this is a newb question:

When and what do you use the 1, 2, and D4 for? I normally drive in D3, under the N, but what are the 1, 2, and d4 for? when do you use them, and what do most of you use?

Also any tech. data such as torque, hp, or what the tranny goes thru when u drive in diff. shift gears?

·
Premium Member
9,314 Posts
Davincis '95 said:
Ok, this is a newb question:

When and what do you use the 1, 2, and D4 for? I normally drive in D3, under the N, but what are the 1, 2, and d4 for? when do you use them, and what do most of you use?

Also any tech. data such as torque, hp, or what the tranny goes thru when u drive in diff. shift gears?
your first question was answered in the Newbie FAQ already (D4 probably cuz its more economic on fuel), and the second question would be kinda interesting to find out the answer to, if anybody has it lol

·
Banned
3,371 Posts
like daddymac said, d4 is more economical.

d3 doesn't have the 4th gear, which is the overdrive.

1 and 2 gear and d3 alike are mainly used for climbing steep grades to keep the engine from hunting for the correct gear if im not mistaken. d3 is also used when going down a grade to help the brakes in slowing down the car.

I used d3 for whoopin' that ass from a stoplight and when im going through hilly terrain.

I mostly use d4 :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
I switch it down to 2 when I'm driving in traffic. The way I figure it, your car doesn't ever need to go beyond 2nd, as the traffic never really gets up to or pass 25-30mph. In the normal D4, all thats going on (in traffic) is your transmission shifts up just to shift back down (as the traffic is stop and go, accel and decel). Leave it in 2nd gear and you avoid not only all the unecessary shifting (thus saving your tranny some), you will also (if you're like me) avoid getting jerked around by the rough 1st to 2nd shifting.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I was going to start a new thread about this, but now that its been brought up here:

Does anyone know the actual mechanical/ecu differences between the D and non-D (1,2) positions? As a passenger in the car for 11 years, I always thought the 1 and 2 position just limit your upshifting, but what is that really nasty rumble when you manually throw it from 1 to 2 or 2 to D3 (not from D3 to D4)? I don't think this rumble has anything to do with the wheel patch out during high TQ shifting, which occurs when you are in D3 or D4 (check out: http://www.2slik4u.com/35vids/1.WMV), because this rumble occurs at any RPM when you make that shift.

My first thought about the rumble is perhaps a lot of torque converter slippage... While this might be true, What's the ECU doing differently in 1 and 2 and not in the D's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.