Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I just bought a 92 legend L and I love it!! Have a couple questions. The car is an auto and has 102k miles.

1: Someone told me once that it is a good idea to run about 1/2 quart of trans fluid in your oil for about 50 miles and then change. Something about how the ATF has detergents and will help clean out any junk..... Good idea, or Bad??

2. Have been reading about 3x and 4x trans flushed. What are these and are they a good thing to do.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Drain the ATF fluid, throw in 3.5 quarts and run the car. Drain, fill, run. Drain, fill, run. Then fill it up again. When you run the car run through all the gears several times, drive around the block a couple times, whatever. Some people like to use special detergent ATF fluid on the first drain/fill/run sequence, I personally will not use anything but Honda ATF, however I am somewhat picky when it comes to my car. It is expensive to use up all that fluid, but worth it.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
You need to bring the vehicle up to operating temp each time you replace the 3.5 qts. and run it up through the gears. This usually requires about 15-20 min.
I would suggest using the Ford A/T fluid initially if you know that the A/T fluid has never been changed. I would assume that using the Ford fluid would loosen quite a bit of sludge. Whether there would be enough released sludge to constrict/block the screen and oil pickup is unknown. Bear this in mind. Again, it would depend upon whether the A/T fluid had ever been changed. On my own 92, I started "flushing" at around 49K miles. If you are going to use Ford A/T, I would first drain the A/T and inspect the amount of particulate deposited on the drain bolt and clean the bolt. I would then refill with Dexron, run, drain and inspect/clean the bolt. After this, I would use the Ford fluid 1x and repeat a "flush" 4x. I would add an extra drain/refill after having used the Ford A/T, just to make sure you have removed as much suspended particulate as possible. If your A/T begins to exhibit shift problems after this, suspect a clogged/restricted screen which will require the removal of the pan. The use of Honda A/T fluid in lieu of Dexron is like day and night. You should notice an immediate improvement.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.