Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 87 4 door 2.5 liter. I get exhaust out of the radiator after it warms up and then eventually overheats. I tried using K&W block sealer in it but hasn't seemed to help. It runs great to my surprise.No smoke out the tail pipe, no coolant in the oil, no oil in the coolant, just exhaust pressure. But the cooling fans don't come on when it gets hot, so I run with the a/c on and the fans run constantly, but still overheats. I believe it to be the head gaskets, has anyone tried to change these before? I have done a good amount of wrenching, but this is an intimidating looking engine. I just got this car and have been very gentle because of the overheating, I would really like to see what it can do!

·
because i can.
10,426 Posts
Well welcome to the forums! Always nice to see another 2.5l member come around :D

So youve done a hydrocarbon test on the cooling system I guess right? Well your symptoms definitely point to a BHG, and if you've changed one before on a V engine, this one's really not really too different...very labor intensive, but if you've got some mechanics skills and can follow the instructions in a Haynes or the Online Manual, you should be good to go...

·
Registered
641 Posts
I have an 87 4 door 2.5 liter. I get exhaust out of the radiator after it warms up and then eventually overheats. I tried using K&W block sealer in it but hasn't seemed to help. It runs great to my surprise.No smoke out the tail pipe, no coolant in the oil, no oil in the coolant, just exhaust pressure. But the cooling fans don't come on when it gets hot, so I run with the a/c on and the fans run constantly, but still overheats. I believe it to be the head gaskets, has anyone tried to change these before? I have done a good amount of wrenching, but this is an intimidating looking engine. I just got this car and have been very gentle because of the overheating, I would really like to see what it can do!
First you should fix the cooling fans, so the problem doesn't reoccur. From the wiring diagram it's easy to check things by jumpering around the relays. In some cases the fan motors themselves burn out.

The best place to get a manual is from Helm publications. This will be the official factory manual and well worth the cost for a complex job.

I have rebuilt a C27 engine, but I had the engine out of the car. It might be worth the trouble to remove the engine from the car, since the valve job would then be very much easier. You should replace the timing belt, water pump, and timing belt tensioner while doing the valve job. Also replace the coolant thermostat, radiator hoses, and heater hoses and all the other small hoses and check the engine mounts if you take the engine out.

Gaskets for this engine are quite expensive, ~$400 from Honda. I would use genuine Honda head gaskets at least and replace every gasket and o-ring you can get at at the same time.

As to the valve work, at least get the valves and seats machined and the heads surfaced while the engine is apart. You may also need new exhaust valve guides. Of course put in new stem seals.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Boy do I feel like a tard. I am an American V8 kinda guy so, the thermostat is always on the top radiator hose, right? WRONG!!! I thought the thermostat was opening because the top hose got hot and had pressure. It was simply a bad thermo! Now I just need a speedo cable(lower half if anyone knows where to get one) and I'm off! Thanks a lot for the online manual though, Awsome!

·
Registered
364 Posts
thats crazy cuz i was ganna say to check the thermostat but i didnt wanna look like an idiot when it turned out i wasnt even close lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.