Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i tried to make an appointment to see how much it would cost for me to get the gas smell that i've been smelling fixed. And they told me that there are mainly younger guys who aren't familiar with the legend working and that it would be $105 just to try and find out. Pshhh. My poor legend will get fixed somewhere else.

·
Fut RIP
10,147 Posts
it seems like it could be your o rings for the injectors!

·
Banned
14,692 Posts
:werd: just take it some place else. if they don't know Legend's too well, and they are young guys who probably don't even know wtf they are doing, since they say, they are gonna charge more for looking at the car. w/e. go some place else.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
That is the hardest thing to fix! When a problem is unknown there is no way for any shop to tell you how much it will cost to fix, all they can do is give you a per hour charge and tell you what they plan to do during that time. In an hour for fuel smells they should be able to verify quite a few things which could also mean fixing it but not if they don't find the problem. That is why having a mechanic who is familiar with G2 Legends can save you a lot of money but even then it is not a given. Good luck.

·
Registered
894 Posts
A little off topic, but my GF took her MX-6 to the dealer and charged her $600 to tell her they couldn't find the problem (changed the the disty and everything was ok).

If it's only a smell and can wait until the real problem becomes apparent, then wait and save the cash to actually fix it.

Where is the smell coming from, front or back? I've had my fair share or problems in the back, even had to rebuild the tank!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the smell is coming from the front but i'm taking it to get checked tomorrow. I need some suggestions so the mechanic can check it for me. What i have right now they told me that it might be the intake gasket b/c they crack on legends(this is what the guy at the dealership told me) and so i'm having that checked. along w/ i guess the injectors, and o rings.

·
Banned
14,692 Posts
check around the injectors for any gas. look at the connections on the fuel filler.

also on the back of the fuel rail, check the hoses that lead in and out.

first do a visual check over all componants with the car off, then turn it on and carefully look around, maybe play with the hoses a little, watch for any fuel leaks.

don't smoke around the engine bay.....

·
Registered
643 Posts
yeah take your fuel rail covers off and if there is a leak you may be able to see it right away. check the injectors, the fuel rail itself, and the hoses that connect to the fuel rail for leaks

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I just solved my fuel smell problem after spending $80 on the seals from the dealer. Even after changing the seals, which was really easy. The smell of gas would fill the cabin of the car,even with the vents closed.

I traced the smell to the trunk after getting a strong odor in the trunk area.I was about to open up the fuel pump area. But my nose was leading me to the fuel filler door. Longer story shortened, it was my locking gas cap venting the vapors into the trunk,which then entered the cabin.$8 for a regular fuel cap and problems fixed.

Before you go big, check the simple things first. Doing the injectors made me find some smaller issues.

1. Missing locking clip on one injector, causing intermittent shaking while at idle. Fixed thanks to a G1 at the U pull it.

2. One damaged seal on one injecter.all four parts on all injecter replaced.

3. One injecter missing the filter on top. Thank god the G1 carries the same exact filter. the injecters look the same but there's a small difference in the G1 injecter.

·
Registered
103 Posts
the smell is coming from the front but i'm taking it to get checked tomorrow. I need some suggestions so the mechanic can check it for me. What i have right now they told me that it might be the intake gasket b/c they crack on legends(this is what the guy at the dealership told me) and so i'm having that checked. along w/ i guess the injectors, and o rings.
So what happened...?

(I just started smelling gas on my way home from work last night.)

·
Yeah BABY!
972 Posts
I fixed my gas smell problem by replacing the gas cap. It only cost about 3 dollars or so. Hope you resolve your problem, good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts