Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard a lot of good comments about the Nikkon 995, but how about the more compact 885? I don't like the idea of the swiwel lens, looks cheap to me. I am thinking about getting the 885 but heard that it takes to long to take a shot. Is the 995 like that? I heard Olympus makes a better camera, so I am also looking at equivalent madels. I plan on spend $500-700 any other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
5speedLegend said:
I heard a lot of good comments about the Nikkon 995, but how about the more compact 885? I don't like the idea of the swiwel lens, looks cheap to me. I am thinking about getting the 885 but heard that it takes to long to take a shot. Is the 995 like that? I heard Olympus makes a better camera, so I am also looking at equivalent madels. I plan on spend $500-700 any other suggestions?
The swivel lens is a good idea. Here's why:

1. No lens powerup time. Just twist and shoot.
2. No expensive motorized moving parts
3. You can move the lens without moving the LCD, so you can shoot at awkward angles (behind you, even!), without having to reposition your eyes.

I would pick the Nikon over the Olympus because the Nikon takes Compact Flash. Olympus uses SmartMedia, which is limited to 128mb right now.

G

·
Yes, I love having the swivel lense on my Nikon 995 and you wouldn't believe how many good compliments I have gotten on it. It's very cool for going to car shows and concerts and stuff also where you are in big crowds of people becuase you can stick the camera way up in the air and angle it in wierd directions... yet still see where it's pointing on the LCD.

The 995 has almost no delay from the time the picture is taken if you halfway depress the button first. What I do when I know that I'm gonna have to take a quick shot. I aim in the general area where the shot is gonna be taken, half way depress the shutter button, then when the shot comes to take I press the rest of the way down, the delay is probably about 100ms (which is really fast).

You can't go wrong with the 995.... if you need more pixels/higher detail then go with the Nikon Coolpix 5000. You just can't go wrong with the Nikon line because there is something there for everyone. Sorry that I can't comment on the 885, I almost got that one, but in the end decided to go with the 995 because of how much I use the camera.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I got the 885 'bout a month ago and its been pretty good so far.

The 885 does take really good quality shots , but the time delay is starting to get on my nerves. If you like the candid shots, then its not the camera for you. For still shots though it's a great camera that produces real high quality pics. (the time delay isn't really that bad , but it is there)

The good thing about it is all the optional accesories for it like the fisheye or the telephoto lens for different effects.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts