Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Victory is fleeting...
5,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...when I am rolling at speeds over 30MPH, I hear a noise from the passenger front wheel area that sounds almost like a playing card in a spoke...much more subtle though, almost like a kid making the "car noise" kids make when they act like they are driving.

The noise is speed-dependent, the faster I go, the louder and faster it gets, but it's not real loud or ever high-pitched.

I thought it was the crappy tires I had on until a few weeks ago, but the noise persists with my new tires. I guess it could still be the tires, but the noise is constant no matter what kind of surface I am rolling over.

Any ideas?

What does a bad/going-bad CV joint sound like?

· Victory is fleeting...
5,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay...Koons Honda here in Manassas tells me it is actually my passenger rear-wheel, and it appears to be a bad bearing...$500.

:mad:

Anyway, A of A says the bearing will cost me about $182+s/h, which I suppose is better than Koons' price of $275. Erg.

Bad bearings can lock up the wheel, right? I have to do this, right? :giggle:

· Spiral descent
5,040 Posts
duck said:
Okay...Koons Honda here in Manassas tells me it is actually my passenger rear-wheel, and it appears to be a bad bearing...$500.

:mad:

Anyway, A of A says the bearing will cost me about $182+s/h, which I suppose is better than Koons' price of $275. Erg.

Bad bearings can lock up the wheel, right? I have to do this, right? :giggle:
I don't know if you have safety inspections in your state, but that would not pass over here. I've had to replace one before, but it was only like $150 with labor.

· Victory is fleeting...
5,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FlipLegend said:
Damn that is expensive, wheel bearings are usually fairly cheap $30-$50, it's the labor that's killer. I've never heard of bad bearings making a clicking noise, bad bearings usually make a grinding noise.
No, there's no clicking noise, it's almost like a little kid doing the "brrrrrrr" noise they make when they act like they are the engine and driving. To my untrained ears, I thought it was coming from the front, but the dude at Koons says the noise was reverberating through the frame and fooled me. :giggle:

I can't get in touch with my "Acura guy" from Radley Acura who normally hooks me up by doing work on the side. But the dude at Koons used to own a 94 Legend coupe, and he's been nice to me in the past, so if I have to pay that price, I'll bite the bullet and do it.

If someone has a better hookup on bearings, speak now. :D

· Victory is fleeting...
5,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh...Koons' labor would be $237, so they figure it will take about 4 hours. The dude said it is a "b1tch' to do, and that a specific hammer was needed (a stamping hammer, I think he said?). Meh, my car has almost 200K on it, I'm sure if this was a Ford it would have disintegrated by now...

· Registered
24 Posts
I have the same issue. My legend is making the same noise on the high way. I cannot really spot which wheel the noise comes from. So, I have to wait until it's getting louder to spot. If it's the rear bearing, you have to replace the whole hub/bearing assembly, I think. The aftermarket part cost $108

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=BCA&mfrpartnumber=512008&parttype=186&ptset=A

two questions:

1) will replacing the hub assembly save the labor? do we still need that specail tool?

2) Should we use the after market parts here?

Thanks a Lot :bowdown:

· Victory is fleeting...
5,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, my dad says non-Honda bearings will be fine, he says he highly doubts Honda/Acura manufactures their own bearings. Anyone disagree before I go talk to partsamerica?

· Victory is fleeting...
5,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
95legend_user said:
Hi, Duck

Can you tell me the total cost for replacing the rear bearing/hub assembly assuming we use the aftermarket parts? Are special tools needed? Thanks
The dealership dude I deal with at Koons Honda said a special tool was needed...I need to ask him what it was again, I know I don't have it and won't try it myself.

I basically talked myself into getting the part from Acura of Augusta, if I go after-market I save myself a whole $80...my "threshold" is $100 (in my warped mind), so...

I'll prolly order near week's end. I'll update with pricing then.

· Victory is fleeting...
5,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Finally got my car into the dealership to have the bearing replaced...They charged me $202 in labor, and the car rides nice and quiet again. So, with A of A's price of $182 + $12 shipping, I paid about $400 for this repair. Meh, what choice did I have, I need this car to run and I don't need a locked up bearing assembly...

· Victory is fleeting...
5,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
arnach said:
Did you read Lee's post about the G1?
Lee makes many posts, most of them about him wrecking his cars, I can't keep up...Which thread are you referring to? :giggle:

· Victory is fleeting...
5,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You need a special tool...Damnit I forget what it is called again. Let me see if I can find out...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.