Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a popping noise only when I turn left and at Higher ( 15 mph +) speeds. If I make the turn slow I hear nothing. I have found a lot of info about noise with right turns but not left. Is this a cv joint, mount, or something else.

thanks

·
Banned
3,796 Posts
Last time I had a noise like that it was a cv joint, but if I remember correctly it happened at all speeds.

·
difficult to kill
722 Posts
yep. sounds like the cv. check the boots for tears, cuz i forget which side makes noise when you turn left.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Noise/ popping on left turn

So I put in a new cv axle and it did not fix the problem, it made it so I can take slightly tighter turns at slightly higher speeds. I have been driving a bit and listening and feeling and here are my symptoms:

1. popping at higher/tighter turns
2. popping from outside sometimes and sometime feels like it comes from the center of the drive line - right side of car
3. sometime I hit a bump and here something pop like a ball joint or tie rod
a. took to a mechanic friend and he said everything is tight there.
4. high speeds (60 +) there is a lot of shutter in the steering wheel and the car pulls to the right at any speed
a. had an alignment and balance done and they said it needed it but it didn't fix this either.

Like I said this all happens on left turns and comes from right side of car. I need this fixed and it is driving me nuts. My mechanic friend told me it may be coming from my trans/diff, but I thought that would be more a grinding then a popping noise. Please help - I have an auto transmission.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Logan, Utah! Holy moly. My Legend is down there right now for some paint work. I will be down there in a couple of weeks. If you don't have it sorted out by then I will gladly listen to it with you. It would be fun to meet another member from that great town.

From the sounds of things I am not convinced that it is not still a CV problem.

Dave

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
So I put in a new cv axle and it did not fix the problem, it made it so I can take slightly tighter turns at slightly higher speeds. I have been driving a bit and listening and feeling and here are my symptoms:

1. popping at higher/tighter turns
2. popping from outside sometimes and sometime feels like it comes from the center of the drive line - right side of car
3. sometime I hit a bump and here something pop like a ball joint or tie rod
a. took to a mechanic friend and he said everything is tight there.
4. high speeds (60 +) there is a lot of shutter in the steering wheel and the car pulls to the right at any speed
a. had an alignment and balance done and they said it needed it but it didn't fix this either.

Like I said this all happens on left turns and comes from right side of car. I need this fixed and it is driving me nuts. My mechanic friend told me it may be coming from my trans/diff, but I thought that would be more a grinding then a popping noise. Please help - I have an auto transmission.
The right side pull and high speed wobble is likely rack and pinion tie rod ends gone bad, been there have that.

The left hand turn noise is the differential bearings, get a junk yard one with low miles if possible the 97-01 RL diff will fit but is minus a cooling line you'l need to block, may even be same later than 01 but I'm not sure. I had this problem and did one axle at a time then swapped the diff and I;m smooth again. I'd say $100-125 for a junkyard diff, labor depends on your guy. good luck

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DrDave,

I heard you car was up here and was going to send you message. let me know when you make you way up here and we can talk.

Thanks for the help guys

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.