Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
Just wondering....
My temp needle NEVER goes above the second white line...
Its always right there on that line, a bit below the middle of the gauge. Normally i wouldnt worry about this, but last night i raced my friend 3 times in a row up to 110mph on the track and the needle still didnt rise at all. When i brought my car back after the 3rd race, my friends all sitting around my car were like "Dang, thats alot of freakin heat".... they were talking about the fan blowin all the hot air under the car and out by the doors.... but the needle STILL DIDNT MOVE. That still didnt bother me. But tonight when i parked my car, i sat in it right after shutoff and heard a noticeable "bubbling" type noise from the engine for about 10 seconds that gradually faded away. Of course i immediately freaked out and assumed my coolant was bubbling and spilling and what not, but it wasnt... I was just wondering if the gauge could be wrong. I mean, i dont want my car to be overheating and me not know about it, so thats why im concerned. Any insights on that bubbling noise too? BigDad? CakeDaddy???
Thanx in advance everyone,
MD
BTW... You all need to go see The Sum of All Fears.... i just got back from the late showing and it was badass

·
Registered
313 Posts
to my knowledge, the needle indicates normal operating temperatures and will stay at that point no matter if it is at the extreme low or high of normal operating temperatures. Only when it starts to overheat does the needle rise. Please correct me if i am wrong. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
In my 91 sedan, that thing was so messed up it was all over the place. The HG was gone when I bought it and I put off the repair for so long. It would never stay in one spot, and I could NEVER sit in traffic or I would overheat.

In my coupe, the temp guage never moves above the line below midway. I always watch it too. Even in heavy traffic on a hot day, it wont move.

To find out if you are overheating or not, just check your overflow bottle after you turn the car off. IF you are gurgling and spitting juice out all over the place, you are "boiling over" so to speak.

Also, before starting your car in the morning, pop the hood and take off the rad cap..... if there is any juice that comes out, you have air in your system. (cold engine only)

It sounds to me like your car is perfectly fine...... cars should be able to run all day without overheating. Thats is why your car has a cooling system. My work truck, an old POS chev 1 ton is subjected to my driving styles, and carrying around big loads all day. I work 7-7... 12 hours that thing does not turn off once ( I work for the city... its the taxpayers gas:D ). THey tell us not to turn them off.

I would not get worried by the sounds of it....

·
Banned
2,260 Posts
just a tick over half is normal.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Kurizma said:
to my knowledge, the needle indicates normal operating temperatures and will stay at that point no matter if it is at the extreme low or high of normal operating temperatures. Only when it starts to overheat does the needle rise. Please correct me if i am wrong. :rolleyes:
My car overheated when my radiator blew and the needle was at maximum height.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Me needle when fully warmed up, even driving agressively is ALWAYS slightly below the half way mark. It's never reached half or more. I live in South California too. Yeah, it feels REALLY hot sometimes , feel the heat from the engine when you open it, or the heat coming from underneath the car, but I think it's normal, good cooling system.

·
Registered
427 Posts
hey guys just curiuos is the temp gauge suppose to be on or below the second line or is it suppose to be a bit above the 2nd line and below the half=way mark when the engine is fully warm and running for half an hour?? thanks

·
Registered
168 Posts
My temp needle position is identical to FutureX’s, a tad below half at all times.

·
Registered
427 Posts
i see so that means that it should be a bit above the 2nd line? if t\someone can confirm this for me?? i hope this is the case cause i was having overheating problems and and now i have no leaks :) and hearing its suppose to be just under half make me happy a bit :) thanks

·
Registered
76 Posts
my 92L Sedan is just below the half-way marker too.. not that warm at all and it never gets above that... the other day during all this cold is was right there on the first line after being on the highway for more than an hour doing 65... :D Damn it's cold!

·
Registered
155 Posts
SHoTTa35 said:
... the other day during all this cold is was right there on the first line after being on the highway for more than an hour doing 65... :D Damn it's cold!
You need to get a new factory thermostat. When it's stuck open like that, your car will run a little rich.
The needle should be a hair(more like 1mm) above the second line.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Always one below middle line, one time I remember it rose to the middle....then went back down... about 2 months later, my car starting overheating and rising rapidly to the "H" (blown headgasket). It was like an early warning =/

·
Registered
427 Posts
FutureX 2001 said:
Always one below middle line, one time I remember it rose to the middle....then went back down... about 2 months later, my car starting overheating and rising rapidly to the "H" (blown headgasket). It was like an early warning =/
hey everyone thanks a lot for the quick response, futurex yeah i think i have blown head gasket :( right now i have no money cuaes i'm still in school and i'm not working so have to wait untill i finish school and work during the summer to get another engine or fix the gasket.

Also when i flushed my coolant it not too long ago my car started to overheat but the problem was fix cause there wasn't enough coolant, then on my way home i notice the tempeture when close to half then it move like 2mm up then when back to where it was.

Today i was in traffic for a while and my temp when up from the 2nd line to touching the top part of 2nd line on the guage, i got frustrated and started ripping my car fast to get to school ontime, thats when i notice my temp guage when up more and sat a hair line below the middle of my gauge :eek2: but i never when past that. I was getting scare reguardles and had to bring up a previous treand to see what was the normal position. btw its merry friggin cold here and its like -20 or -4 Fahrenheit i don't remember my needle was near half during the summer though around 28 degrees Celsius or 82.4 Fahrenheit.

In summary with my legend I think i made a mistake buying this legend, i let my passion get in the way of my finance but i really love the car. I can't wait till i graduate school so i can work my ass off and get my car in top condition. :p thanks all once again :2cool:

p.s. sorry for the long post and the grammer, it would be easier if said then type :eek: :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts