Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please don't move this thread!! I'm not getting any answers in the sticky. :( I've done searches and posted in the "Does your car overheat?" sticky, but I only got one reply from Jetdoc. It's been about a week or two now and my car is just sitting there in the driveway. I'm hoping someone can tell me what might be wrong with my car. HOPEFULLY it's not something really expensive.

Here's my old post:
So yesterday (Monday) morning I drove my little sister to school (it was freezing outside...about 30 degrees F. and I guess my car was all frosty from the night before) and on my way home, I noticed my temp needle was ALMOST go to "H" and pulled over right away (it was rising pretty quickly). I popped the hood and let my car sit for about half an hour.
****Side note -- incase it matters: I just switched to synthetics (Mobil1 10w-30 on Sunday and a different oil filter). Can this be the cause of the problem, or do you guys think it's just a coincidence that my car happened to overheat the next day?? I really don't know at this point, but I'm leaning towards no. It HAS to be something with the weather or my radiator, am I correct?? ****
When I looked around the radiator to check for any leaks or loose caps, I saw nothing. But near the back-up reservoir (and the area below it), there was coolant all over. Whatttt'ssssssss goingggggggg onnnnn with my carrrrrrr?!?!? Anyway, I opened up the radiator cap and filled it with some water (it only took in about 1/5 a gallon and then was full). I also poured in extra water into the back-up reservoir. When I drove home (and for the rest of the day), everthing was fine. Freeway...city...NOTHING. It did not act up once after yesterday morning, so I'm thinking, 'Okay, maybe I was trippin' and didn't close the cap tightly' even though I'm certain I didn't mess with it before.
FYI, later on in the afternoon I drove my car to work and around and it didn't even come close to overheating.
Well just a while ago, I was on my way home from dropping my little sister off at school (it's about 30 degrees outside...same deal..frost on the car, etc...I let my car warm up prior for 4 or 5 mins.) and my temp needle rises hella quick again!! Keep in mind that I've only been driving for about 10-15 mins. I pull over, repeat everything and find that there's coolant all over the back-up reservoir again, but I don't know if it's seeping through the opening where the lid is or exactly where it's coming from. This time, just to check, I turned my car on again (a minute or so after I pulled over) and watched the needle and its sitting at normal again. ?? There's coolant all over the same spot again. I let my car sit for a good 30 mins. before pouring water into the back-up just to be safe. When I drove home, the needle didn't go past where it normally sits and my car seemed okay again.
What do ya'll think? What's your put on this? LOL...I apologize for the length of this post, but I really am stumped and a bit flustered. At least I have an excuse to move MY car into the garage now, huh? Okay, help please!!

Lately (ever since those two times my car started acting up), my car's been overheating within driving a couple of miles. I'd say about a mile or two into any trips, my needle starts rising. I'd pull over and coolant is all over the reservoir again and I'd have to fill it up again. I've put in anti-freeze and still no fix. My hoses are soft when my car's at normal operating temperature. It doesn't seem like there's any pressure in my radiator...I even replaced the radiator cap and thermostat. When it overheats, the reservoir fills up with coolant and spills out then it starts to overheat. No matter what I do, it doesn't overheat at idle. When I turn my heater up, the heater blows out hot air, so it's not the heater core, am I right? How do I figure out what's wrong with my car? Any diagnosis? I also tried bleeding it, but that doesn't seem to be helping at all. I can only drive about 2 miles max. before my needle starts rising to hot. :mad: I also need to take my car to the police station to get them to write my ticket off, but I know my car won't make it. I have till the 22nd! Alright, thanks to whoever reads through this lengthy post. I'd appreciate any serious feedback. Thanks, ya'll.

·
Registered
381 Posts
here it is....

i had the same problem...

check the fan, temprature sensor, thermostat, if it still overheating and you did not change the timingbelt or water pump change it ... if you think someone changed it don't waste your money.. you got your answer....
HEAD GASKET.. sorry man i had to go through all that Sh#t man.....

i spend almost 4000 figuring out this problem.. but after fixing it i think it's worth it....
and why 4000 ?? well mechanics made me change the freaking timing belt and water pump two times then i did the headgasket... Acura dealers didn'tknow what the problem was to begin with then i lost my hope and finally i took it to this mechanic and he fixed it..

good luck man....

[email protected]
mandidy

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
first of all, you are low on fluid. with the overflow of coolant happening a few times you are low....you cannot just pour a refill in to the reservoir. You need to (when the engine is COLD) open the radiator cap and refill with a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water. Then start the engine and continue to refill as needed...You must have the heater turned on full blast while doing all of this. to make sure that the coolant circulates all through the system and displaces air pockets in the heater and hoses. you can try to help by squeezing the radiator hose. When the car reaches operating temperature replace the radiator cap. Fill the reservoir to the max line at this point with the mix. Now, let it circulate a minute or so and then go through the bleeding process...take your time and get the air out carefully without burning yourself.. With the description of your problem you may have a bad or misfit radiator cap, which is not pressure tight and allows the pressure to push coolant out of the relief hole in the neck of the radiator and overflow the reservoir....That is the easy and cheap possibility. Of course, a blown or leaking head gasket could be present and overpressuring the cooling system and doing the same thing (but just overcoming a good pressure rated cap). You can have a shop test the coolant for the presence of combustion byproducts to see if you have a leak...Personally I would replace the cap asap anyway even though you already replaced.(cost is minimal, if this a stock radiator, make sure you get the correct cap diameter and rating, these are tricky to find and just a little different than the aftermarket radiator size and can cause leakage..parts places don't always realize the small difference.) Do you get any white smoke from exhaust or the smell of butterscotch sweetness. To test your fans/relays, run the AC unit when you drive...that should turn on the fans whenever A/C is on. These cars overheat more in the wintertime because of this than in summer, because A/C is nearly always running!

·
Registered
197 Posts
I just replaced my TB/WP and I must say it took me a good 20-30 minutes to get all the air out. Definately take your time. I found that after a while I was getting all fluid but still had no heat, and revving the engine up a bit 'dislodged' the air pocket (probably in the heater core) and suddenly after that me heat really started working.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had a same problem before. Mine is Blown Head Gasket. I spend $2500 (including labor and JDM) to do the engine replacement. It is worthy than just try to change the water pump or timing belt just for finding what problem cause your car overheat. However, when you do engine swap, you better to change timing belt or check water pump, but it is easy to do it; and make sure check all the sensors under the intake mainfold before amble it. Good luck!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies. Bigdad -- no sweet smell coming out or anything like that.

Ballistic said:
where did you get the oil change done?
At home where I've always been doing it. :)

On another note, what might have caused my car to overheat those two times ONLY in the morning? I'm afraid to drive my car anywhere now since the problem seems to be getting progressively worse ( I can't even go far before it overheats now, whereas those two times, I was able to drive around the rest of the day). Any ideas?

·
FIXER
1,717 Posts
If you bled it like I said in the other post and it doesnt leak or overheat at all while sitting in the driveway idling then you have probably got a head gasket problem. It's getting worse as you drive it. The answers are there in the posts, you just have the BHg blinders on. The same pair I had on. They make you think your problem is different from all the rest. It just isn't right!

Have you read this post of mine? my BHG story It sounds a lot like your situation. You didn't do anything wrong, you just own a Legend. It will happen sooner of later.

·
Registered
767 Posts
bro i have the same prob but only at idle not while moving.. so i just keep my eye on the gauge when at the lights, i also know i have a bubble cos my heater goes cold, pump the gas to 2gs and goes hot again and just give it regular taps to keep coolant circulating, and top up the radiator with ejected coolant from the rez every week after i start the car, sometimes i dont have to and sometimes the rez is full :confused:.. so anyway its going into the shop to have a brake prob diagnosed and while theyre there i'll get them to do a comp and pressure test.. hopeeeefully(but i doubt it) its not a bhg, if it is its extremely mild

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yetchh said:
bro i have the same prob
I'm a girl... :)

Alright, Jetdoc. I was kinda thinking it was a BHG, but was doing some wishful thinking...haha I HATE MY CARRRrrrrrrrrrrrrr!! But then again I love it. Oh how I love my car..lol Will driving it short distances mess up anything else?

·
FIXER
1,717 Posts
It depends on how hot it gets. If the temp needle pegs full hot and you contuinue to drive it the result will be warped heads and/or cracked block(will need new engine). If you plan on having the headgaskets replaced be careful with it. If you plan to go the JDM route you you could take a chance and drive it.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
The problem is going to keep getting worse. If its' a bad head gasket try not to drive it all anymore, if oyu drive it too much and it heats up over and over again you can damage the block = need replacement JDM motor.

If you want to fix your existing one (Probably do the Timing Belt and Waterpump along with it) you're looking at $1200-1700 depending where you take it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, I did read you post Jetdoc. Would a blown head gasket just show up overnight? Everything was fine until I changed my oil..the next morning I had problems. What are signs of a blown headgasket? I know overheating is one of them but anything else I should look for?...Soft radiator hoses?

Would switching over from regular dino oil to synthetics cause this because that's what I did. Are you guys refering to the valve cover gasket?

Thanks for all the help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.