Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a dog person, always have been. I live with my cousin, who bought a house and I rent a room from him. He has a 6 month old boxer pup.

Anyway, I was wanting to get a dog, and a lady from my work told me about this dog she was trying to find a home for. Her neighbor had this 1.5 year old German Shepherd. The guy who had owned it passed away about 9 months ago, and his wife (who is like 70) didnt know what to do with it, so she put it on a chain in the back yard. She did not feed him much, so he is very skinny, and needs some care.

I agreed to take him on a trial basis to see how he would do. But I cannot keep him. I have a big enough yard and room for him. But he is VERY dog agressive. He is great around people of all ages, but I think because of the way he was chained up he has become very animal agressive. He will get into fights with cats or other dogs. So I cannot have him around the boxer. We are alternating what dog is inside and out to keep them separated. So they will let me take him back. However, I really don't want to take him back to that house, he will probably starve to death. He needs to find a home with no other pets. But I can't keep him. He is a beautiful registered GSD, papers and everything. But he needs to be a in a very specific environment to get him back to normal, and I cannot provide that.

So what should I do, try to find a new home for him, or take him back?

·
Banned
3,796 Posts
You can try Petfinder.com: Adopt a pet and help an animal shelter rescue a puppy or kitten. That is a great place to try and find a home for your dog. I would try to place him with someone that doesn't have small children or any other pets. I would not take him back to the lady because she is obviously unable to care for the dog the way it deserves to be taken care of. I'm sure (from my 7 years vet experience) that you shouldn't have any problem finding a good home if you place an ad. Good luck!

·
Registered
7,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can try Petfinder.com: Adopt a pet and help an animal shelter rescue a puppy or kitten. That is a great place to try and find a home for your dog. I would try to place him with someone that doesn't have small children or any other pets. I would not take him back to the lady because she is obviously unable to care for the dog the way it deserves to be taken care of. I'm sure (from my 7 years vet experience) that you shouldn't have any problem finding a good home if you place an ad. Good luck!
Thanks. I thought I might put him up on there and on Craigslist possibly. Could I potentially contact a breeder around here and offer him to them? He is a young un-neutered male with great bloodlines, well built, just poorly cared for. I really don't think I should take him back there, but there is no way I can work with this whole two dog / rotation system for long.

·
Banned
3,796 Posts
Thanks. I thought I might put him up on there and on Craigslist possibly. Could I potentially contact a breeder around here and offer him to them? He is a young un-neutered male with great bloodlines, well built, just poorly cared for. I really don't think I should take him back there, but there is no way I can work with this whole two dog / rotation system for long.
If you do look at a local breeder, look carefully. He may not get any better attention there. Look for someone that only has a couple of dogs, a very small breeder, or he will spend the rest of his life in a cage :( He is still young enough for some easy training, you can look into a place that trains dogs for the disabled. All of my golden retrievers siblings went to a program that did that. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you do look at a local breeder, look carefully. He may not get any better attention there. Look for someone that only has a couple of dogs, a very small breeder, or he will spend the rest of his life in a cage :( He is still young enough for some easy training, you can look into a place that trains dogs for the disabled. All of my golden retrievers siblings went to a program that did that. :thumbsup:
Thanks for the advice. I put him up on Craigslist and petfinder, and oddly enough got more hits from craigslist than petfinder.
I was contacted by several kinda sketchy people, was a little worried about giving him to just anybody. Then I was contacted by the wife of a Local county sheriff who would like to see if they can put him in the drug dog program. Even if he doesnt make it in that, she is going to keep him, she has worked with rescued animals before. So it looks like Mr. Kane is going to a new home tomorrow afternoon.

·
Banned
2,475 Posts
awesome news...I too have this problem....My dog Coco is a pitbull-boxer and also very aggressive and very demanding. If another dog steps within an inch of my house, she goes bezerk. And it's a pitbull thing, because once she gets crazy, I can't control her....Around people she's great (well most people) but other dogs she just has to be the "bigger woman". I wish I could get a second, but with her mindset, it will not happen.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Yeah I'd give craigslist a shot, at least you're trying to do something for him, thats more than a lot of them get.

I just brought this guy home from the Bahamas on wednesday :)

Royal Bohemian Potcake: "Wynston:

·
Banned
3,796 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I put him up on Craigslist and petfinder, and oddly enough got more hits from craigslist than petfinder.
I was contacted by several kinda sketchy people, was a little worried about giving him to just anybody. Then I was contacted by the wife of a Local county sheriff who would like to see if they can put him in the drug dog program. Even if he doesnt make it in that, she is going to keep him, she has worked with rescued animals before. So it looks like Mr. Kane is going to a new home tomorrow afternoon.
AWESOME!!!! That is so cool. I'm glad that you found a good spot for him.:woot:

Lol, Mr. Kane, the drug dog!

·
what!
4,698 Posts
awesome news...I too have this problem....My dog Coco is a pitbull-boxer and also very aggressive and very demanding. If another dog steps within an inch of my house, she goes bezerk. And it's a pitbull thing, because once she gets crazy, I can't control her....Around people she's great (well most people) but other dogs she just has to be the "bigger woman". I wish I could get a second, but with her mindset, it will not happen.
You and your dog need training even more. I'm not being rude, I am being serious. Your dog that you love so much could hurt you or someone else while in an uncontrollable rage. Please take care of the training soon!

·
SGM / Type F
3,699 Posts
Yeah I'd give craigslist a shot, at least you're trying to do something for him, thats more than a lot of them get.

I just brought this guy home from the Bahamas on wednesday :)

Royal Bohemian Potcake: "Wynston:
Sweet! Abaco Potcake's are awesome dogs! Living garbage disposal systems (dual canines) and lots of attitude and fun loving animals.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.