Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am really wanting upgraded braking for my Legend. I did search and found that the NSX calipers (91-96) are the same fit as the type II calipers. I found this on here: NSX Calipers in DC4 - Team Integra

So, what are your thoughts. If there is a difference between the two calipers, I would like to get a cheap set off of nsxprime's forum or something. Does anyone have NSX calipers on there legend? Also, would these work: Acura Brake Caliper NSX ARC - AutoPartsWarehouse.com
because they are cheap!
FYI: I have a 95 L, so i am not sure how that would work, i just reuse my old brackets?!

Thanks. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
720 Posts
That's not an nsx caliper. They are the dual piston design just like the calipers that come on the Ls Type II Coupes.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Dont Catch
4,408 Posts
heres the thing... the "arc" rebuilder only has one side... the driver side front..
that is available on that website..

so one side isnt going to do you really any good

A1Cardone actually has the pictures of the NSX on one of their listings.

Front Left:
1991-1996 Acura NSX - A1 Cardone Front Left Brake Caliper

Front Right:
1991-1996 Acura NSX - A1 Cardone Front Right Brake Caliper

heres the thing if you read carefully you'll see that it doesn't include mounting brackets..

and that is why you have to pay $5 for set that includes the bracket (dont know why actual picture isnt shown but)

1991-1996 Acura NSX - A1 Cardone Front Right Brake Caliper

1991-1996 Acura NSX - A1 Cardone Front Left Brake Caliper

i guess the "B" in the part number means that it comes with the brackets

now as NSX vs Type II

NSX has cooling vanes.. but the Type II has bigger piston area. also the NSX has the letters "NSX" raised on the the calipers.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have wondered about the braking on our cars as well...as it isn;t what i would call 'crisp'...which is unusual as everything else on our cars seems to be fairly top notch...is it mainly related to the wieght? size of the pads? for folks with the mods, do the slotted rotors make a noticable difference for normal use? for the folks with lowered suspensions, does that affect the braking characteristics of the car?

from your (collective) experience, what are the factors (past road conditions) that we can affect on our cars that has the great est impact?

many thanks for dealing with all the questions...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so, thanks for the input, keep it coming. I was thinking that George W's refund stimulus check might buy some better brakes...:). SO will they clear the 1995 L 15 inch wheels...or even the type II calipers for that matter, I am keeping the stock wheels for a while.

Also, any braking performance increase with the NSX calipers....has ANYONE tried this?

·
LEGENDARY MEMBER
1,764 Posts
I have wondered about the braking on our cars as well...as it isn;t what i would call 'crisp'...which is unusual as everything else on our cars seems to be fairly top notch...is it mainly related to the wieght? size of the pads? for folks with the mods, do the slotted rotors make a noticable difference for normal use? for the folks with lowered suspensions, does that affect the braking characteristics of the car?

from your (collective) experience, what are the factors (past road conditions) that we can affect on our cars that has the great est impact?

many thanks for dealing with all the questions...
I'm not sure, but my brakes stop on a dime. Maybe check your rotors and pads and see if they need replacemant.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I'm not sure, but my brakes stop on a dime. Maybe check your rotors and pads and see if they need replacemant.
I second that.

Just toss on a set of cross drilled, slotted, or D/S rotors and set of ceramic pads on the front. It will make a great, very noticable improvement :thumbsup: Semi metallics will suffice for the rear since the fronts do most of the stopping.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
heh freaking truck stopped suddenly in front of me today, and slammed the brakes. Helped me avoid an accident...TypeII Calipers (Stock) on mine.... Brembo Rotors, Axxis Brakepads....

The only complaint i have about the braking system the ABS system feels outdated compared to the newer cars when you feel it kick in.

·
because i can.
10,163 Posts
RE: the abs feeling outdated,

Getting the whole system flushed might show some fair improvement as well as increase the longevity of the ABS system....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am still torn between which ones...NSX or Type II. I am going to get pads and rotors too, when i do decide, so the improvement will be great, i hope. It seems that all that say that their brakes stop on a dime have the type II calipers and not the L calipers.

I still have no answer to this: do these type II calipers fit the 15 L style wheels?

·
Dont Catch
4,408 Posts
Herb did it...

http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulletin/f4/nsx-calipers-installed-71220/

i think his was fitted under the stock 15s

take a look at type I vs type II and you will find out the difference is just the thickness in rotor and the upgraded calipers.

the diameter of the rotor remains unchanged. the calipers are about the same size when it comes to all three. so it should fit all legends
in stock condition.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
yea..I went with the typeII and some Steel lines and some ceramic pads..and trust me...if you need to stop on a dime..thats a good set up..unless you on the racing side and feel you need massive stopping power..I dont think you need more then the typeII and good pads...but there is always a BBK if you want to upgrade to that!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You all rock. Thanks for the input. I am still leaning towards the nsx calipers, so when i get rims, i can show them off. Not really, i just like the idea of having a nsx part on my car. I always wanted one.

My new question is: If i get nsx calipers with mounting brackets, do I HAVE to get a new set of type II rotors? I was hoping on waiting on the rotors and going for the better calipers and pads for the time being.

And: In reference to the link way up there with the re-manufactured ones. Is that the way to go? They are cheap! Even with a core charge (that I dont have) they would be slightly over 200 for both NSX calipers. OR should i just get a used set?

·
Dont Catch
4,408 Posts
prices for used is astronomical... if you go on the NSX boards most want 300-500 just for the front set of calipers

and plus... you could just send in your old calipers as cores...

if you want to hold off on the rotors for now until you get new pads.

just re-use your old caliper bracket... the 25T

but then the problem with the core swap comes up... if you send them the 28T brackets you wont have a spare when you're ready to throw on the type II rotors...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Catch-22.
Thanks, thats the info i needed. I might just wait and buy a set of rotors with the NSX calipers and some ceramic pads. The rotors (GS/LS) fit right on my hub i think. The calipers remanufactured calipers better have the NSX on them or I will be upset. :)
If that is the case, i have to wait until I get the stimulus check from the gov't in may.

What a great way to spend some of that money...am i right?!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts