Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the Legend family. I lost my done up 96 Maxima SE in a puddle in Birmingham. I was looking for another when I stumbled across my 92 Legend Coup 5-spd. I had always liked legends, but never knew they came in manuals. I had to have it. So here I am starting all over again, and switching from Nissan to Acura. I like to do engin swaps that are drastic and new. My max had a 3.5v6 making 300hp. I am thinking of a NSX engine. I know in 92 they were the same displacement, but I don't know if they were the same engine or the same size. I am interested in trying this out. Maybe with a 6-spd and a Comptech supercharger. I also like to have custom made X dual exaust systems. So keep your eyes open, but you wont see much on the outside! (note screen name)
Latter, and Thanks!
Lee

If anyone can help me find a set of oem fog lights I would be greatful! I have already been in an accident. At least it is an excuse to start some modifications. The only part I still need are the lamps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Welcome to the family!! I'm not sure if the NSX engine will fit or not... But...with money, anything is possible... :D

Also, how did you here about these forums? I am the owner/creator of them. They have only been in existence for about a week and a half. I'm just wanting to know how and where everyone is hearing about them.... Thanks man..

·
Registered
9,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am desperately searching for about 4 hours a day on the internet for the OEM fog lights to replace the destroyed ones on my car, so I think I have seen almost everything Legend on the net. I saw your link in a Yahoo search. I like the page. It reminds me of the Maxima.org page I use to be a member of. It is also the best one I have seen. Thank you so much. I believe you site is going to be my only hope in finding my fog lights!
Later!
Lee

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
hey!

sleeprlegendcp said:
I am desperately searching for about 4 hours a day on the internet for the OEM fog lights to replace the destroyed ones on my car, so I think I have seen almost everything Legend on the net. I saw your link in a Yahoo search. I like the page. It reminds me of the Maxima.org page I use to be a member of. It is also the best one I have seen. Thank you so much. I believe you site is going to be my only hope in finding my fog lights!
Later!
Lee
If you want OEM foglights, not sure if they stock them , you may get em here:

http://www.augustaacura.com
Tell them you're from the Legend forums.

Also... if that doesn't work, you may want to try this big list of junkyards.

http://www.car-part.com

·
Registered
9,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, Then it looks like I have some fixing to do!

I want to take a 2001 NSX engine, with a comptech supercharger, mounted in my G2 Legend coup. I am wondering if the engines were the same in 92. If so it should be relatively easy. The NSX hasn't changed much till 2002. Then I want to make a custom X-pipe dual exaust system. All the power will be run through a 6-spd, and the whole thing will be a sleeper! Can you imagine it. I am just curious about the engine for now, but doesn't that sound like a fun Legend?
Later!
Lee

ps Thanks for the help on the fog lights. I have a post in the parts section if you have any more info!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hey man, welcome to the boards!!! I like your thinking cause I was on the same track as you were. I was thinking why not bolt up a NSX head on top of our blocks.

Here are a couple items of trouble:

A) Clearance between the head and the firewall and sides of the car. We do not have much room to play with. The VTEC mechnicals and DOHC take up more room than our non-VTEC SOHC engines.
B) Throttle body and intake manifolds are mounted a little differently so our air intakes dont look like it will fit under the engine bay. I think the throttle body would be mounted towards the firewall which means you would have to come up with some sort of ram-air scoop for our hoods. I was looking at a picture of the NSX engine and you see our belts are in the front of the engine. Look at the NSX engine, belts are in one place and the throttle body on the opposite side of the engine.
C) You will need a new hood to clear the engine.
D) NSX tranmission is mounted torwards the rear and is cable activated, hence why you would just want to use the NSX head and not drop a whole engine in it.
E) Comptech supercharger, haha, NOPE! NSX's have plenty of room in their bay to do this, we do not.

Here is what I was thinking:

Get a 3.5RL block and Type-II head. With this combo, we could yield 230hp and 220-something lb ft. of torque. Is this combo reliable? I dont know, but this is the path I'm willing to try. I am also wondering how my manual 5-speed or a 6-speed tranny would mount to this configuration. If we have to use the automatic, then I'm scrapping that plan.

Turbocharging is not totally out of our reach for the engines. If you can move the air intake to a different location (or do RAM-AIR with a hood scoop) and relocate the battery to the trunk, we could have room for a twin-turbo setup. Hookup the turbos, run the piping to the headers and so one. This is a theory, but again if anyone has the money, it's all you. Supercharging might be the easier route as all you would really need to do is relocate the battery in the trunk and mount the supercharger. I can't remember who at NOPI had this setup.

If anyone has any other contributions, let me know.

·
Registered
9,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Man you and I do think a lot a like!

I have a personal thing with turbos. I like a lot of power low in the rpm range and a gear box to put it to the road. I guess I am going to have to look at the difference in height of the engines, but I have my shop working on it. They are just researching it. So far we havn't found anyone who has done it. Comptech is interested in the deal, I offered them a magnetic sticker for shows. If I cant use the Legend 6spd, I will probably try for a getrag. They seem to be able to work with almost any engin. I didn't think of the different location of the belts and intake, but with a custom head, no prob. I am probably going to have a custom fiberglass hood made. I like the idea of Ram Air, I will hold on to that one. With a custom hood I am really going to try to squeez a roots supercharger. If I have to go really wild, I could always make it rear wheel drive! Well, that's all for now!
Later!
Lee

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
ummm

sleeprlegendcp said:
Man you and I do think a lot a like!

I have a personal thing with turbos. I like a lot of power low in the rpm range and a gear box to put it to the road. I guess I am going to have to look at the difference in height of the engines, but I have my shop working on it. They are just researching it. So far we havn't found anyone who has done it. Comptech is interested in the deal, I offered them a magnetic sticker for shows. If I cant use the Legend 6spd, I will probably try for a getrag. They seem to be able to work with almost any engin. I didn't think of the different location of the belts and intake, but with a custom head, no prob. I am probably going to have a custom fiberglass hood made. I like the idea of Ram Air, I will hold on to that one. With a custom hood I am really going to try to squeez a roots supercharger. If I have to go really wild, I could always make it rear wheel drive! Well, that's all for now!
Later!
Lee
rear wheel drive legend
like.
whoa.

·
Registered
51 Posts
fog lights

welcome.

try to find these parts.

Foglight Lamp Right 0bv31-sp0-2m101
Foglight Lamp Left 0bv31-sp0-2m102
Sub-harness 0bv31-sp0-20006
Wire Harness, Main 0bv31-sp0-20005
Bracket, hardware 0bv31-sp1-200R1
Garnish Kit 0bv31-sp1-200R2
Relay (4P) (RC-2201)39797-SE0-004
Relay Power (5) 39797-SE0-014

I don't have the foglight switch assmbly part #

i was told these will work for 91-93 legends.

they don't sell the kits but the parts are there. no instructions though, but i'm sure someone here has them. i have an email out to an acura deal and will post the results.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've also been thinking about putting NSX heads on my car and from what I've found it shouldn't be a problem of fitment (other than the hood) Going by the engine numbers we have the same block as the later model NSXs using the 3.2 liter engine, which means that the heads should bolt directly on. That doesn't take into account what you'll have to do to get the vtec to work, which I really have no idea. The only other difference I have found between our engines and the NSX's engine is the internals. They use lighter parts that have been balanced to a higher degree than ours, which gives it the much higher redline. I think if you were to get a set of forged pistons and rods and had the whole thing balanced we could achieve the same performance, if not more, as the NSX engines (using their heads of course). Remember, they are making 270hp while the type II Legend engine is pushing 230, that's not that big of a difference. I don't have the funds to try something like this but if you do I'd be very interested to hear how it turns out.

·
Registered
9,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know the initial difference between the engines won't be much, but after modification I think the v-tech and, as you said, an already more blueprinted engine with an already higher redline. Plus I really like doing thing no one has done, and this is sounding like the one for me, at least for right now. I am waiting to see the next gen Maxima, and pray that Acura will sell anoter v6 manual car!
Later!
Lee

1 - 16 of 16 Posts