Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got around to ordering some parts (brake pads and valve cover gaskets) from my parts place (sasponline.com)...when I do I order a couple of oil filters cuz they're cheap and help me get over $75 so I get free shipping. This time I got a couple of the Nippon "short" filters that I usually get and I figured I'd try one of the Denso filters. Turns out the Denso filter is the larger NSX size filter. Below is a comparison picture between (from left to right) a Honda brand NSX filter, the Denso filter and the Nippon filter.

Honda - Part Number 15400-PL2-004 - $16.00

Denso - Part Number 150-1013 - $8.60

Nippon - Part Number 15400-PL2-315 - $4.42

Note: I just checked the site and the Denso model has been removed...there are still two other full sized models there, but the Denso is gone :( . I guess if you can find the Denso part number elsewhere it should be the same thing.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Which Honda OEM filter is that? USDM or Japanese?

The USDM one is basically an upgraded Fram (not to good at all), I heard the Mobil1 filter is actually pretty good, and the Purolater filter if you're on a budget.

The Japanese one is made by Toyo Roki, and is larger than the USDM filter. Does your filter say Toyo Roki on it anywhere by any chance?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ChrisK said:
Cut them open and show us the difference inside :2cool:
uhhhh....no

Future X...yeah the OEM filter does say Toyo Roki. I've used Purolator as well with no problems.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT MY MECHANIC SAID!!! I didn't belive him at first but I used them, I'm glad some one here is backing him up. --=Keith

C25A1guy said:
Another good honda jdm honda filters are those made by hamp or the acctual green hamp filters.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Another good filter that only cost a few bucks is the STP filter. It is the exact same internals as the Mobil 1 filter but $8 cheaper. I run the STP filter in the RSX and never had any issues, and as you guys can tell by my sig, I run the RSX hard.

·
Registered
174 Posts
body9599 said:
Note: I just checked the site and the Denso model has been removed...there are still two other full sized models there, but the Denso is gone :( . I guess if you can find the Denso part number elsewhere it should be the same thing.
As you'll see now they're back in stock, as they are at EAP. I'm pretty sure WorldPac is the supplier for most of these places (if you'll notice the catalog interfaces are almost identical, and they all went out of stock at the same time as WorldPac), so when WorldPac is out, just about everybody is out -- but usually not for long.

And BTW, C25A1guy, while STP makes a pretty good filter they are NOT identical to the Mobile1. While they're made by the same company (Champion), Mobile1 has a patented filter media that is more expensive and there's more of it. Consequently, it does better in the SAE extended multi-pass efficiency tests than the STP, though the STP does have a bit better flow rate, especially on cold dino oil (see pages 1 and 4 at http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=000513 ). You get what you pay for (usually...).

My personal pick for use with dino is the Denso. Although I don't have the stats on this particular filter I know the construction, and with the larger size and good media it's likely to do a good job of filtering while maintaining a higher flow rate (and with 175k on my oil pump and bearings flow is pretty damn important!). Once I get done with the Auto-RX treatments I may switch to the Mobile1 with synth oil, as I'm sure there'll be plenty more flow with the synth (which is what the filter was really designed for despite their claims) than with the dino oil that was used in the tests. But otoh the flow rate will probably still be better with the Denso, so I dunno.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Check where your oil pressuer is monitored from; before or after oil filter. The filter that has more restriction is going to keep your oil pressure higher. That does not mean that the bearings has that pressure. The proper point to measure that pressure is close to the bearings. Flow is also critical when running at high rpms. Why? A restricitve filter gets much more so when the flow is increased. At high rpms, there is potentially so much flow that the oil filter bypass valve opens up because there is too much restriction and the oil is no longer filtered.

Despite filter media size, the oil bypass pressure setting on the filter is very important. Apparently this bypass pressure is not a priority with aftermarket filters as they use as close as they can get with one of their generic springs off the shelf to keep costs down.

Here is the key question. Why does Honda/Acura maintain that the NSX MUST use the large Toyo Roki and the Legend doesn't???? I suspect the expected high RPM of the engines in the NSX is a factor.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
i went up to advance auto looking for some cheap short purolator filters because i'm doing an auto-rx cleaning currently, and they were out of those filters. he said they had a filter made by purolator under a diff name, it was called speedflow or something dumb like that.. it is just as tall as my NSX filter, but i get the swirling noises at redline (and i'm definitely avoiding that now) i was glad to have more filter though to catch the mess that will be cleaned out during this cycle.

i have 100 miles left on my cleaning phase, i'm gonna put in another NSX filter to do some good filtering for the rinse phase.

·
Registered
174 Posts
GREYLEGEND said:
Here is the key question. Why does Honda/Acura maintain that the NSX MUST use the large Toyo Roki and the Legend doesn't???? I suspect the expected high RPM of the engines in the NSX is a factor.
Yup, I'd say you're likely right there, Grey. All other considerations being equal, more media surface area in a larger volume provides greater flow. I also agree that the bypass valving would be more critical at high RPM's and volume.

You guys might want to check out the link I provided as they get into the bypass valving quite a bit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.