Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone actually use octane booster in there car? benefits? brand? i am going to take a long trip down to maryland (about 4.5 hours) and i wanted to try something that might save me gas or make the ride alittle smoother... thanks for any advice

·
Registered
193 Posts
I've tried octane booster a couple of times. Only works if you fill up on mid-grade by accident, then pour it in and the gas is just as good as premium. But add booster to premium gas and I didn't notice anything. But, I could be wrong....

·
Registered
157 Posts
Unless you have made significant modifications to your engine, the compression ratios of our Legends is not so high that higher octane should make a huge difference.

I once loaned my RX7 to a friend who refilled the tank with 91 octane. When he dropped to car off, he was sure to tell me that since my car was a sports car, he knew to put the high octane in it. I did not have the heart to tell him that rotary engines have such low compression ratios that it could practically run on anything combustible. I have been told by a racer friend of mine that until you get above a 10.0:1 compression ratio, octane does not buy you alot.

I have never used anything but 87 and never had a problem with any car, so I would be curious what others have experienced in that area.

·
GS Hog
7,026 Posts
You probably won't feen much if any difference.

Octane is basically a detonation rating.

In a G2, as long as you run the recommended 91 Octane and up, you're fine. This just means that as long as you use gasoline with an octane rating of at least 91, you will be able to avoid pre-ignition, and thus harmful knocking. We don't need anything higher than that.

Side note: You will probably not experience knocking if you used a lower octane gas because our engines are equipped with knock sensors that retard timing if it senses knocking. You will, however, lose in performance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.