Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Making Legends Rare.....
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, this is hard to describe but I will try and hopefully I can get some help tracing this down.

Essentially it seems to feel like a drag. What I am experiencing is intermittently the gas pedal will begin to feel "more stiff". During these times if I release the gas pedal I will slow down faster (without touching the brake) than other times.

I "occasionally", and very occasionally, will hear a metal sound from somewhere up front. It's so intermittent I haven't been able to tell from where I am hearing it.

My brakes work fine, still have good braking power, transmission shifts perfect, etc..

I still have good acceleration, but when this thing crops up my fuel mileage definitely takes a hit.

Thursday I didn't experience this issue and averaged around 21mpg for the day. But yesterday I did experience it, for a better part of my driving, and my fuel mileage dropped to 17.5MPG, which is what is making me think some sort of drag is involved.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Keeper of Keys
587 Posts
it could be a stuck caliper, Happen to me before no on the legend though, making that simliar noise and it would seem like its dragging, Check and smell the front of your car soon as it happends again, See if you smell any type of brake fading.

·
SGM / Type F
3,653 Posts
Larry are you feeling 'pull' in the steering when this happens? Usually if it's a stuck caliper the car will pull to the side the caliper is stuck on. If you're going straight and still slowing down and hearing a metallic noise my guess would be towards powertrain issues, unless the BOTH front calipers are sticking, in which case it might be an issue further up the brake system than the calipers. How's your diff fluid look?

·
Making Legends Rare.....
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been trying to get into Les Schwab here to have them check the brakes, but they keep wanting to set an appointment. I keep trying to explain to them that if it is a sticking caliper it is going to be very evident on the rotors, but they don't want to listen. I may just have to pull the tires myself.

As for the diff, thought about that but I wouldn't expect it to be "Intermittent" as it is.

·
Registered
380 Posts
does the drag happen more when it hasnt been driven or it doesnt matter?

·
Making Legends Rare.....
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I am now 99% sure it is a Sticky Caliper. I say Sticky because it isn't "Constant" like a fully stuck caliper would be.

I did the DIY Seafoam yesterday and went for my drive. During the drive I had a nice drivers side pull, really heavy, while on the interstate.

I originally thought it was the wind, but later I hit the interstate a few times with the same amount of wind and had no pull and the "drag" feeling was gone also.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts