Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
B anned (SIKE!!!)
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive noticed that 91-93 Legends sit a bit higher than 94-95 Legends.

Is there anything different in those years that would change that? I thought they all shared the same setup...

·
B anned (SIKE!!!)
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Cummon... Anyone? Where are the suspension guys at??? Take a look at my sig and this photo of Tysons coupe enxt to mine.

Attachments

·
B anned (SIKE!!!)
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Um... I think it would also include my SE. It sits a bit lower than my Coupe... Even before the rims. I guess Ill just drop the coupe and call it a day.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Don't know if this will help, but the part numbers aren't the same for the shocks and it's questionable for the springs seeing as they share one number and not the other.
Here are the links: HONDA PARTS UNLIMITED... YOUR SOURCE FOR OEM HONDA AND ACURA PARTS AND ACCESSORIES!!!
Acura Parts @ AcuraOEMparts.com - Genuine Acura OEM Parts from Delray Acura

edit: Stabilizer bar has diff part numbers also
rear suspension:
52550-SP0-A10 ARM B, R. RR. (LOWER) 1995
52550-SP0-A00 ARM B, R. RR. (LOWER) 1991
Prob more small suspension diff. I didn't think there was going to by much but looks like a sure but prob suttle diff. More reason for me to end up putting my powertrain in the 95' chasis when I'm able to. You learn something new everyday. Thanks

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
This is what I was talking about (I made the key points in case someone doesn't want to read the whole thing):

1993 Acura Legend Coupe Chassis

Overview

Specific objectives for the Legend chassis performance called for active, driver oriented handling characteristics, very low noise and vibration, and excellent braking feel. The 1993 Coupe was refined to accommodate enhanced performance characteristics, which include new damping settings, new compliance bushings and better handling and ride.

Suspension System

A fundamental factor contributing to the precise handling of the Legend is its
excellent 60/40front/rear weight distribution. Chassis engineers consider this the ideal distribution for a front-drive automobile with sporting aspirations.

The Legend powertrain incorporates a unique aluminum front subframe. This
is not only lighter,but more rigid compared to a steel subframe. It is mounted to themain structure at eight optimum points with specifically tuned bushings designed to isolate vibration and distribute loads throughout the structure. While these bushings are soft enough to block out vibration, they are still hard enough to prevent torquing and shifting which could, in an inferior design, disrupt suspension alignment and upset the carefully calibrated geometry.To improve ride quality, the front bushing of the lower control arm has been recalibrated from 20kg/mm to 45 kg/mm for 1993.

The double-wishbone front and rear suspension features widely spaced upper
and lower wishbones that give precise suspension action. The coil-over spring/damper units are designed to be free of the binding caused by the side-loading inherent in less sophisticated strut-type designs.

The rear suspension features upper and lower lateral arms carried on a steel
subframe. Two tubular trailing arm elements, bolted together into a unit, perform the function of fore/aft location and countering of braking torque. This system reduces unsprung weight by almost 20 lbs over the first-generation Legend, and it is also more rigid overall. The Coupe suspension has been specially tuned to provide more precise handling and response and to maximize traction. The rear bushing of the lower control arm has been recalibrated from 1000kg/mm to 750kg/mm to enhance steering effect under lateral force in cornering. The trailing arm bushing has alsobeen recalibrated from 45 kg/mm to 50 kg/mmto further minimize suspension movement and enhance rear suspension precision.

Shock Absorbers And Stabilizer Bars

Sophisticated gas-pressurized shock absorbers also contribute to the ride comfort and handling of the Legend. They feature an exclusivevalve mechanismcalled the HondaProgressive Valve (HPV). In this design, the valve opens and closes progressively, rather than being simply open or closed. This improves the shock absorbers' response to quick wheel movements and results in better rebound control as well. In both cases, tire-to-road adhesion is enhanced. The front and rear shock absorber damping rates have been revised and fine-tuned for enhanced ride quality as well as improved handling precision. Suspension bushing hardness was also increased front and rear and changed to a linear rate, rather than a progressive rate, in order to minimize suspension deflection, thus improving precision.

Stabilizer bar diameters have been matched to the suspension geometry,
springing and shock absorbers.
The tubular front bar is 1.13inches (28.6mm) in
diameter with a wall thickness of 0.14inch (3.5 mm). The rear bar is tubular, with a 0.75inch (19.1mm) diameter, and a 0.12inch (3.0 mm) wall thickness.
Honda Media Newsroom

This is a major reason I believe in starting with a TYPE II chassis when buying a Coupe project; its simply more refined.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Just looked up in the Acura archives:
The 95' uses 215/55R16 tires (20.66" total) and the 91' uses 205/60R15 tires (19.84") that's a diff of .82". If i'm not mistaken it's affecting ride height by only .41"

The height of the car are: 95' 53.7" and 91' 53.5", the diff is .02"
Also minimum ground clearance for the 91' 6.0" and 95' 4.5", the diff is 1.5"

So if the 95' has a height which is .02" greater than the 91', but also has 1.5" less of ground clearance, and then the change in rims increases the ride height (technically) by .41". All this info leads me to believe that the 95' springs are somewhat lower.

Anyone know anything about htis for sure?

·
B anned (SIKE!!!)
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Woah... Just when I was giving up, more people chime in. Thanks... I guess the "try it out year" for the coupe included a suspension upgrade.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Woah... Just when I was giving up, more people chime in. Thanks... I guess the "try it out year" for the coupe included a suspension upgrade.
Well I had posted on your thread previously and kept this in mind but just always have too much to do. I have both a 91' coupe(dd) and a95'coupe(not running right now), so the little diff always interests me. I think I will eventually put the 95' front springs on the 91' and leave the original rear springs on the 91', just want to see how it sits before I go and buy some lowering springs. I figured since the the 95' springs should be a bit lower that it would kinda help a bit with how high the front sits vs the rear. All this and I'm gonna eventually put everything I like/want about both cars back in the 95'. All the things we do for love. LOL

·
B anned (SIKE!!!)
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My buddy just swapped out his on his 93 coupe. Ill see if I can acquire those from him for some dough.

·
Registered
707 Posts
My buddy just swapped out his on his 93 coupe. Ill see if I can acquire those from him for some dough.
Let me know what happens. If I get around to doing this anytime soon I'll let you know my results as well. Just gonna basically measure the gap between the tire and wheel well, before and after.
Btw I had recently removed a rear springs from both cars and noticed that the tension on the 95' was a bit more than on the 91'. Could be that the 91' spring has gone bad or could be that the 95' spring indeed is stiffer(have to remove both to inspect more carefully). Don't know about height though, didn't have anything to measure accurately

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
the more tension thing.. sorry to jump in in the middle.. anyway. the higher tension on the later spring. while removing. maybe the strut itself is shorter as well.. i think we just need someone with a set of oem springs and struts from both options to actually just measure them ( off the car)

·
Registered
707 Posts
the more tension thing.. sorry to jump in in the middle.. anyway. the higher tension on the later spring. while removing. maybe the strut itself is shorter as well.. i think we just need someone with a set of oem springs and struts from both options to actually just measure them ( off the car)
Can't really understand the begining of your post. But the way I measured the tension on both the 91' spring and the 95' spring was to grab the spring itself with my hands and put my body weight while it's on the ground, maybe not a quite accurate test, but I also had my brother do it without letting him know which one I thought was softer and he picked out the same one. Also if you had read a bit more carfully you will see that I have both stock suspensions, just didn't have anything to measure them accurately.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.