Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know this is kinda newbie question but here it goes:

how is the offset actually set? im looking on wheel manufacturer's web sites and i dont see any measurement for the offset, so im assuming its done at the shop when they are installing the wheels. am i correct?

also with larger wheels do you have to worry about wheel well rubbing? alot of people are concerned about fender rubbing, but how does getting a large wheel affect wheel well clearence? id immagine the bigger/wider wheel you have the less clearence you have within the wheel well.

thanks people! im a real newbie so gimme a break :).

-brandon

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,943 Posts
Offest is part of the rim design. What offset is a measurement + or minus in relation to the centerline of the rim of where the face of the rim hub mates to the cars hub. For example, the exact center of the rim width would be a 0. If the face of the rim hub moves 20mm toward the inside of the rim (closer to the car), it will have a negetive 20mm offset. If the face of the rim moves toward the outside of the rim by 40mm (away from the car) it will have a positive 40mm offset. The OEM Legend rim has an offset of +65. The manufacturer sets the offset when they make the rim. The only way to change the offest is to add a spacer between the cars hub and the rim face to decrease offset toward the negetive, or lower number, or to physically machine off material from the rim hub face to increase offset toward the positive.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, i understand the basics of offsetting... but my question is how to i determine the offset of a paticular wheel? you mentioned spacers or machining off part of the rim, but id want to avoid all that and buy rims that already have a good offset.

how exactly would i go about determining the offset of a wheel? just ask the seller before i buy them?

thanks for the response also, its greatly appreciated.

-brandon

·
Registered
583 Posts
yes. ask the seller.
it's always a good question to ask. If he doesn't know, then it's a big hint to find another dealer...

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,943 Posts
It is also usually stamped somewhere on the wheel for cast rims. ON 3 piece rims it is often on a sticker, but that sticker probably will be gone if the rims are old and used. Even the stock rims have the offset stamped on the rim. But if all that fails, like Bukowski=Legend said, asked the dealer. The have a listing of all the sizes and offsets of each rim a manufacturer makes.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, thats what i was thinking but wasnt sure. anyways i probably wont buy wheels for another 6 months. to be perfectly honest i love how my legend looks, even though its completely stock.

thanks for your help guys!

-brandno

1 - 6 of 6 Posts