Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Vince, under What'll she do? You have to add the 2.7L times, those are more common anyways.

Also you might want to consider adding a section about the Noise Ticking many of these engines make...

Can I use your FAQ in an upcoming webpage i'm working on? You would receive full credit for it.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For the "what'll she do" section, the coupe has the 2.7 (All coupes have the 2.7). I don't have stats for the 2.7 sedan, so I used the coupe numbers (since curb weights are nearly identical).

Does anyone care to elaborate on the noise ticking? What causes it/what kills it, etc.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I would add something about tapping valves and MMO or Engine Restore, seems to be a pretty common topic and problem. Or maybe we should start a common problems list (or it may be there and I just missed it).

·
Registered
2 Posts
feedback

This is super awesome cool. I needed to know of someone who knew of aftermarket mods. thanks p.s. let me know what aftermarket clutches are available for an 86.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Vince, great new site!!!

May want to add a "Garage" section for G1 and G2.

If you have never seen the Miata.net forum, take a look at it. Not as colorful as this one but a wealth of information. It's a great model.

·
Registered
386 Posts
G1 Legends

I remember reading in Road and Track that the G1 Legend sedans had a 0-60 time of 8.1 seconds and the coupe had a 0-60 time of 7.1 seconds can't see how the coupe being the lighter and more nimble of the two would be the slower of the two.:rolleyes:

·
Five- O
857 Posts
are u sure it wasn't the 2.5L sedan?

·
Registered
386 Posts
The 2.7 liter Acura Legend

I'm very sure it was the G1 coupe that had the 0-60 time of 7.1 seconds versus the G1 sedan 0-60 time of 8.1 seconds.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Nice job. Just two things I can add:

Engine Oil: Not all owner's manuals recommend 5w-30 (at least mine doesn't). I get a lot of arguments regarding this. It's a long story for another topic. My car has seen nothing but 10W-40 and more recently 15W-40 it's entire life. No worries.

Trim Levels: Some "L" Coupes did come with trip computers as standard equipment. I think this was a year-to-year change.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
On the "L" coupes, the Trip Computer was an OPTION. It was not standard like on the LS. Some L Coupes have them, but only because the original owner payed extra for the option.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
FutureX 2001 said:
On the "L" coupes, the Trip Computer was an OPTION. It was not standard like on the LS. Some L Coupes have them, but only because the original owner payed extra for the option.
NO. Not according to my window sticker. The trip computer came standard with the "L" option.

This is why I believe it was a year-to-year change. Honda most likely grouped together different things into the "L" option from year to year. In other words, the "L" option might have included the trip computer in '87, but it was dropped in other years.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The FAQ page is very interesting: thanks!

I had a look at pictures of your legend, very nice!
I have an 88 coupe and I wish the paintwork was as good - is it a paintjob and have you done it yourself? - I haven't seen the color before.

Looks like I may have an LS model as I have the computer (I think), everything but the passenger power seat, I'll post pictures of mine on a site once I've sorted out the rust problems, I have a silver legend but I'm thinking of respraying it Black.

Clear corner lights come as standard here so people interested may also think of importing through a UK scrap-merchant.

Also I read that the published BHP for the 2.7i Honda Legend Coupe is over 170, I dunno, maybe it's different in the UK.

Do you have Rover cars in the states?, the're as common as muck here!, over here when Honda owned Rover they were produced in line with each other - same engine and interior, just a different body, perhaps you'd be interested in seeing some pics?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
fokiohero said:
The FAQ page is very interesting: thanks!

I had a look at pictures of your legend, very nice!
I have an 88 coupe and I wish the paintwork was as good - is it a paintjob and have you done it yourself? - I haven't seen the color before.
Thanks, that is the original paint job. It is fading heavily on the roof and hood, and I will be repainting it this summer. The color is called Geneva Green Pearl.

The other day, I saw an 88 L Coupe (for sale) with the trip computer and auto climate control. This only serves to complicate things. The features in the FAQ now refer to standard features and not options.

SAE net horsepower is 161.

We had Rovers here in the states, they were marketed as Sterlings. Good looking, IMO, but they were not exactly reliable or durable, and they stopped importing them in 1991.

·
Five- O
857 Posts
I just got a service manual for my 88 coupe- If u want I can scan some of the general trouble shooting pages. Climate control codes, ecu codes, s-3 s-4 blinking light codes. Or any other that u may think about. Then I can e-mail u the pages which u can put on the site.

Let me know if u are interested
Esti

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
ANNOUNCEMENT!! :)

Ya, guys keep the recommendations, possible criticisms, and more info, etc. coming for this G1 FAQ....Once it gets really extensive, if Vince would like, I am going to make the FAQ be on my site)www.acura-legend.com

·
Registered
24 Posts
Honda Legends...

>SAE net horsepower is 161.

Not necessarily...

The Acuras have a downgraded engine compared to Honda Legends as sold in Europe and Japan (everywhere except in America really, I guess). This was done because of the lower quality gas sold in the states (86 octane). Over here in Norway you can't get anything below 95 oct. I'm not quite sure what mods were done other than that the Acuras have a slightely lower compression ratio than Hondas. I'd really like to know tho because my legend was imported from Texas and so has a lower spec enging than the European counterpart :( Maybe it's possible
to convert to Honda specs?

The Hondas have 169 BHP with cat, and 177 BHP without the cat (weren't shipped with cat. until 1989 in Norway). The Hondas also have slightely better torque.

Read more on this European site :
http://www.eol.ee/~margus/lceng.html

Regards

-tegfelt-

1989 Acura Legend LS sedan black w/ creme leather int.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts