Acura Legend Forum banner

Oil change

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  wallstrum 
#1 ·
hi, guys

as new legend owner, i am going to change its oil by myself tomorrow, first time for me;) ;) ;) in my life... i just bought 6 mobile 1 oil, a filter costs $7, and a 2 tons hydralic jack...oil pan...

i am just want to ask what are the steps, are there anything i need to be aware of, pay attentionssss???

thanks for all your helps!!!

#2 ·
when you jack it up SAFETY first!
Secure the car on JACKSTANDS

( I lost a mechanic like that...Volvo on hydro jack..jack collapsed, car on his chest...damn! RIP)

Sorry...
Once you have secured the vehicle...
find your drain plug...should be a 17mm or 9/16 (depends on who has serviced it last)
drain your oil
replace crush washer on drain plug (dealer item...like $.65)
reinstall drain plug
remove filter (prepare to catch oil)
clean your mess (rookie ;) ) j/k
open a quart of Mobil 1....
take index finger and dip it in
wipe the oil from your index finger around the gasket on your new filter
install filter
add oil (should be 5 quarts)
checkk for leaks
none?
lower car
let idle for 45 secs - minute
check oil
good?

Ok, take used oil to service station or Pep Boys...they recycle for free.

#3 ·
I get nervous about jacks... you know those jacks supplied with our cars? Well those are basically just for quick tire changes right? It bothers me when my dad goes under the car to check something out sometimes with just that jack... ahhh.. I've gone under for various reasons before but with one of those heavy duty ones at least.... and when I tell him not to go under with that jack, he's like "it wont fall"..

Scarry stuff, what the heck would you be able to do if the car fell..??

Don't mean to scare welovelegend though.. !

#4 ·
yeah....not worth it...

Let me tell you...my car is very low, so I have a hydro 2 ton jack....works great, but it scared me the other day when I was installing my bypass for my CAI....it went CLUNNNNNG!, and the car listed to the right slightly...WHOOOOOAA!

I was jacking it up, and seeing it I could put the jackstand under the spot I use...but it wasn't high enough yet...not to mention, in soft pavement or in the sun, the jack WILL sink into the pavement...BETTER use jackstands...they are like 18 bux at Wally World (Walmart)

#5 ·
To all

Thanks, guys!!!

Job is done. it was great experience for me first time went under the car. i had a good mechanic friend helped me, so it was smooth. he showed me all the steps... it was easy, but just as you all worried about the safty, it was scary stuff... the 2 ton jack seems not strong enough to hold our legend, and two stands come with it are fragile too,, :confused: :confused: man, well, i returned them already...

Thanks again... next time, i will be more careful if i do it along.

today is a perfect day for working on cars...:p :p :p

#9 ·

my mechanic friend told me that the better way for you engine is change the oil every 3 month, regardless it hits 3k or what so ever... caus the oil inside of engine will start going bad after staying inside of engine for 3 month...

i thought so, caus he is certified BMW boy...:D :D :D

#11 ·
FutureX 2001 said:
My theory is every 3k or 3months... Whichever comes first..!
I'm afraid to put synthetic in it, the car has 134k.
You should be fine...I hit 3k on a monthly...no problems with synthetic....you may want to try a synthetic blend...like Castrol Syntec or Mobil 1's "hybrid" synthetic

#12 ·
Also, if you are converting from conventional oil and this is your first time using Mobil 1, check the oil level often. I've converted two cars to Mobil 1, with low to moderate mileage, and they both consumed a bit of oil the first time. After the first couple of oil changes the consumption dissapeared.

However, when I converted my '97 Lexus LS400 to Mobil 1 5W30, it didn't use a drop (still doesn't). So your Legend could go either way, but it won't hurt to keep an eye on the oil level.

Since my Legend had 98K miles on it when I bought it last Fall, I decided to not convert to Mobil 1 so I'm using Castrol Syntech, a synthetic blend. it's also 1/2 the price of Mobil 1.

Regards,
Sean Lewis
Tampa, FL
'94 Legend LS Sedan
'97 Lexus LS400 "Coach Edition"
'93 Mustang Supercharged 440rwhp
http://www.ij.net/seanlewis/seanindex.html

#13 ·
SYnthetic and other oil change thoughts

Since my car is stock and stock height, I just keep four pieces of 2x12 lumber around. I drive the car up on them. The extra 3.5 inches height allows me to easily and safely slide under the car. Did have to get a "flat" bucket to catch the oil though.
Do the filter first as it will leak a bunch out regardless of whether the pan is drained or not.
When you go to the dealer...buy a bunch of the washers. Big waste of time for a $0.50 item every time you change.
Synthetic is a great alternative pretty much regardless of the age of the car. Especially true if you are driving huge miles (35K+ per year or so). I did for years. If you plan to change every 3K, you are under the car/in the shop once a month. How likely are you to REALLY be able to stick to that schedule if you are THAT busy? Missing by a week is another 800 miles...synthetic will give you a reasonable safety margin (easily 5K miles) under those conditions...presuming you don't live on a dirt road and drive mostly on the highway...cruise set. How else do you do a steady 800 a week?
I switched to synthetic in my 5 speed gear box and to synth gear oil in the diffy. Both with excellent results...quieter, smoother.
As one of you said before "changing oil is easy and is a great way to connect with your car."

#14 ·
I've been using Castrol Syntec since I got my Legend a Year ago. I currently have 133k miles on it and wanna know if it'll be safe or worth it to switch to mobil 1 oil and if so which brand should I use? I gotta change my oil this weekend and wanna know if I should change from castrol to mobil 1 or just leave it as is. I know most people use Mobil 1 after a certain amount of miles so please let me know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.