Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I am still struggling with these stupid things. If anyone has a suggestion how to get enough clearance to actually get these things on, it would be greatly appreciated. I am almost ready to break down and pull the oil cooler.

Access is easier because I am replacing the CV (actually pretty easy to change out) but the hose might be six inches long with only about 2 to 3 inches between the metal fittings so there just is not much room to bend the hose around....

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I'm assuming you're refering to the hose that's behind the engine that runs from the cooler into the side of the engine block?

It's much easier to remove the pipe from the engine. It's held in place by two socket head cap screws. Once the screws (bolts) are removed pull it from the block.

You'll need to replace the o-ring seal when you re-install the pipe.

Cut the new hose to length, spray the ends with silicone spray and slip it onto the pipe. Slide the clamps onto the hose and slip the other end of the hose onto the cooler side (the silicone will make it easier to position). Bolt the pipe to the engine (you did replace the o-ring?), clamp the hose and you're finished.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Paulo,

I went the other route, my oil cooler was leaking from the figure 8 O rings anyway so I pulled the cooler so I can get to both the hoses (although still not trivially). It also helps that I have the cv out for replacement and the oil pan dropped for gasket replacement. So that is where I am at today, not much time to work on the car today though - everything is cleaned and ready to be put back in.

I am really surprised how easy the cv was to change on the passenger side, not sure how much more difficult the drivers side would be.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Drive axle replacement is relatively easy on these cars. The nice thing is that you don't have to disassemble things that effect the wheel alignment.

Just to make sure things come apart easy in the future, I put small amounts of anti-sieze on the axle where it comes thru the hub bearings and on the tapered ball joint shafts.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
all back together now. New oil cooler o ring, oil pan gasket, new oil cooler hoses, new cv, and I think that is it. Thank goodness for air tools or my arms would be falling off. Phew.

I think I need to replace the driver's cv as well. The boots look good but when I grab the shaft, it has about 1.5 inches of movement along the axis of the shaft towards the wheel and back to the tranny (hope that makes sense). I noticed the new one has no motion along the axis of the shaft.

·
Registered
118 Posts
oil cooler hose update

I need to change my oil cooler O ring and the 2 hoses as well.
The O ring I can buy from dealer. Are the 2 hoses regular heating hoses or do they have to be purchased from the dealer? What size are they?

Also, any tips on installing them would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Re: oil cooler hose update

90CoupefromCanada said:
I need to change my oil cooler O ring and the 2 hoses as well.
The O ring I can buy from dealer. Are the 2 hoses regular heating hoses or do they have to be purchased from the dealer? What size are they?

Also, any tips on installing them would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Regular heater hose will suffice. I "think" they're 5/8" hoses.

·
Registered
12 Posts
paulo57509 said:
Regular heater hose will suffice. I "think" they're 5/8" hoses.
Nope. 1/2".

I just struggled for hours with mine. Had I known a few tricks, it would have gone much quicker.

From under the car, plan on removing the flanged elbow that's held in by two screws and connected to the short (~3") hose. (Replace the 0-ring.) That will make it easier to put a new hose on and it will be easier to get that end of the old one off.

I cut the hose near that tube and then put the end of a long hex wrench in the metal elbow. That gave me enough leverage to break the elbow free from the block and rotate it back and forth untill I could pull it out.

The other hoses can be done from the top and doesn't take long. Removing the metal cross over pipe really helped.

By the way, the two drain fittings on my Legend were bone dry with I loosend them. It looked like water had never touched them. Maybe someone didn't drill the passage the rest of the way through?

Ron

1 - 8 of 8 Posts